Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Illinois Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 04-12-2016, 04:02 AM

Unhappy How long does it take to be approved on an Illinois inmate's call list?

So I found a pen pal ad to a girl I wrote that is currently incarcerated in Illinois. I wrote her a letter and she wrote me back. i was actually really excited about it. I received her letter on the April 1st which was a Friday and she told me how happy she was to receive my letter and how cute and attracted she was to me. She asked me for my number so I sent it. I set up an account on securus to make sure she would be able to call me. I am assuming that she should of got my letter by the 6th or 7th.

My question is do you know how long it takes to get on a phone list? Should of she called me by now? I also haven't received a letter back from her yet.

I know that I am probably just over reacting but I guess you could say I'm just excited lol. If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated thanks.
Dan
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2016, 08:37 AM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,859 Times in 1,456 Posts

I did a bit of research for ya and there is nothing set in stone regarding how long it could take. Each facility is different.
Slimruckus (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 08:54 AM

Well either way I appreciate it. I guess ill find out sooner or later. Thanks for your time.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:09 PM

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,245 Times in 1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimruckus View Post
So I found a pen pal ad to a girl I wrote that is currently incarcerated in Illinois. I wrote her a letter and she wrote me back. i was actually really excited about it. I received her letter on the April 1st which was a Friday and she told me how happy she was to receive my letter and how cute and attracted she was to me. She asked me for my number so I sent it. I set up an account on securus to make sure she would be able to call me. I am assuming that she should of got my letter by the 6th or 7th.

My question is do you know how long it takes to get on a phone list? Should of she called me by now? I also haven't received a letter back from her yet.

I know that I am probably just over reacting but I guess you could say I'm just excited lol. If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated thanks.
Dan
It may take a while for you to get that first call. I live only 3 hours away from
where my fiancé is incarcerated at and it can take up to a week for him to get my letters. You being from PA means it may take longer for her to get your letters. Also, as far as the call list goes, it may take a good couple of weeks to get that call for you to be approved. For what it's worth, it was pretty quick for me to be approved on my fiance's call list, like 3 days luckily, but I just wanted to give you worst case scenario. As hard as this is, try not to expect a call til May so that way, if/when it happens earlier, you'll be pleasantly surprised. As far as her writing back to you, she may not have enough money to buy envelopes..? Or she may be like me and procrastinate writing lol. I do hope you hear from her soon!! Feel free to PM me if you have more questions about IL as well!! Admittedly, I sometimes forget to check this forum, so please forgive me if I don't respond to posts right away.

GO CUBS GO!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to blah8705 For This Useful Post:
Slimruckus (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah8705 View Post
It may take a while for you to get that first call. I live only 3 hours away from
where my fiancé is incarcerated at and it can take up to a week for him to get my letters. You being from PA means it may take longer for her to get your letters. Also, as far as the call list goes, it may take a good couple of weeks to get that call for you to be approved. For what it's worth, it was pretty quick for me to be approved on my fiance's call list, like 3 days luckily, but I just wanted to give you worst case scenario. As hard as this is, try not to expect a call til May so that way, if/when it happens earlier, you'll be pleasantly surprised. As far as her writing back to you, she may not have enough money to buy envelopes..? Or she may be like me and procrastinate writing lol. I do hope you hear from her soon!! Feel free to PM me if you have more questions about IL as well!! Admittedly, I sometimes forget to check this forum, so please forgive me if I don't respond to posts right away.
Thank you so much for the reply. Yeah still no letter yet I did set up the securus and I sent her a little money through jpay just to make sure she could get envelopes just in case. I know how slow the prison system can be it sucks haha. I will definitely try and not think about getting the phone call so when it happen I will be surprised, its definitely a challenge. I'll just have to try and keep my self occupied so not to think about everything so much. It is really so different having a friendship/relationship with someone in prison. When your with someone in the real world its so easy to just pick up the phone and get what you want where it is the total opposite with prison. But one thing that is great about it is it allows you to appreciate the little things in life and to not take those things for granted. thanks for all your help and I will definitely hit you up if I have anymore questions thanks again
Old 04-14-2016, 07:57 PM

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,245 Times in 1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimruckus View Post
Thank you so much for the reply. Yeah still no letter yet I did set up the securus and I sent her a little money through jpay just to make sure she could get envelopes just in case. I know how slow the prison system can be it sucks haha. I will definitely try and not think about getting the phone call so when it happen I will be surprised, its definitely a challenge. I'll just have to try and keep my self occupied so not to think about everything so much. It is really so different having a friendship/relationship with someone in prison. When your with someone in the real world its so easy to just pick up the phone and get what you want where it is the total opposite with prison. But one thing that is great about it is it allows you to appreciate the little things in life and to not take those things for granted. thanks for all your help and I will definitely hit you up if I have anymore questions thanks again
OOoohh trust me, I know how it is to be waiting and waiting for that first phone call! I had to do it three times: when he was first arrested and in county jail, when he got transferred to his first prison, and again when he was transferred to his second prison. That bit of anticipation is both exciting AND annoying!! It's frustrating though if the prison is on lockdown because then each day you're checking IDOC to see if they're finally off just to be disappointed because they're still on. Luckily, my fiance's prison(s) haven't gone on lockdown too much..only when there's been the flu bug going around. I COMPLETELY understand your comparison of how a relationship is out here vs when one or the other is incarcerated. I was with my fiance for 7 months before he got arrested. We went from talking and hanging out every single day to suddenly having to find that routine. When this first started, I always wondered would I ever be able to get used to it and everything, but over time, this has become my new normal. It feels like him coming out is still a dream far away. (Don't let my countdown ticker fool you, he's not actually coming out in over a month. Whoever wrote his crime originally wrote it wrong so the good time he'd gotten off is tacked back on, so he's actually coming out in January.)

Trust me, you will get used to this life. Whether you consider that a good thing or a bad thing, I don't know lol. How long is she serving??

I agree with you on appreciating all the little things now. As silly as it sounds, in the 7 months that my fiance was out here in the world, I'd NEVER seen his handwriting. I seriously wouldn't have been able to pick it out if there were multiple choices. I was happy when I was finally able to recognize his handwriting away and considered that my little accomplishment.

Good luck with everything and just know you're not alone. Keep me updated on when she gets back to you!!

GO CUBS GO!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2017, 03:21 PM

I actually just called Stateville and they said it could take from 2-4 weeks.