Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Information relating to the Colorado Department of Corrections. This includes info about Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:29 AM

Default Anyone ever sent books from site other than Amazon to a Colorado prison?

Has anyone ever sent books from any other site other than Amazon? Or does anyone know if you can ring a prison mail room and ask them?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2017, 08:31 AM

I think every prison is different so I would call the mail room and ask
The Following User Says Thank You to judiwoo For This Useful Post:
littledarkone (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the reply Judiwoo. So I'm assuming the mailroom takes calls then?
Old 12-06-2017, 08:39 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,114 Times in 1,025 Posts

I've sent books through eBay but not from private sellers though..
Old 12-06-2017, 08:42 AM

He's in AVCF in Colorado. I found a cute website called lovebookonline.com and asked them if they've ever shipped to prisons and they said they have but they've also had some sent back.
I think I'll try ringing the mailroom like Judiwoo suggested and ask them directly. Just wasn't sure if prison mailrooms took outside calls.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledarkone View Post
He's in AVCF in Colorado. I found a cute website called lovebookonline.com and asked them if they've ever shipped to prisons and they said they have but they've also had some sent back.
I think I'll try ringing the mailroom like Judiwoo suggested and ask them directly. Just wasn't sure if prison mailrooms took outside calls.
Hello,
My husband is in USP Leavenworth in Kansas. I only send books through amazon and only sold by amazon. I did send him a love book and it was excepted. He loved it!
The Following User Says Thank You to dkjonaas For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjonaas View Post
Hello,
My husband is in USP Leavenworth in Kansas. I only send books through amazon and only sold by amazon. I did send him a love book and it was excepted. He loved it!
Aww this is so lovely to hear. Thanks for your reply and I'm so glad your husband enjoyed the book. I think my guy would LOVE it!
Old 12-10-2017, 04:08 PM
Married May 27, 2017!

My husband told me he could get books from Amazon but they have to be brand new and shrink wrapped still. Only paperbacks.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenwyn View Post
My husband told me he could get books from Amazon but they have to be brand new and shrink wrapped still. Only paperbacks.
Hey Revenwyn thanks for the response. Yeah I sent a paperback but not from Amazon so I'm hoping it'll get through. Where is your husband located?
Old 12-10-2017, 05:00 PM
Married May 27, 2017!

He was at Cheyenne Mountain Re-entry Center (private prison) but is now across the parking lot at Community Alternatives of El Paso County (halfway house.) Currently we aren't allowed any correspondence.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenwyn View Post
He was at Cheyenne Mountain Re-entry Center (private prison) but is now across the parking lot at Community Alternatives of El Paso County (halfway house.) Currently we aren't allowed any correspondence.
Aww I'm sorry to hear that :-( Does halfway house mean he's nearly home?

I live in Ireland and my guy is in AVCF. I'm going to visit next March for the first time. I'm so excited. Do you live in Colorado?
Old 12-11-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
My husband was just transferred from AVCF. He was there for almost nine years. The mailroom there sucks and they are very strict. He can only receive books from the publisher directly or from some place like Amazon or Barnes & Noble. He cannot receive books from a private seller and the book has to be new. There has to be a receipt with the book or they will give him 10 days to provide the receipt and if he doesn't, they will either dispose of the book or send it back at his expense.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyginnm View Post
My husband was just transferred from AVCF. He was there for almost nine years. The mailroom there sucks and they are very strict. He can only receive books from the publisher directly or from some place like Amazon or Barnes & Noble. He cannot receive books from a private seller and the book has to be new. There has to be a receipt with the book or they will give him 10 days to provide the receipt and if he doesn't, they will either dispose of the book or send it back at his expense.
Oh thanks so much for your reply nancyginnm. It's so nice to find someone who had a loved one in avcf. The book is from lovebookonline so they are the publishers. It's brand new paperback and they send the receipt with the book. They send to correctional facilities but obviously can't guarantee that it will get through. I tried calling the mail room but couldn't get through. It's good to know this though. Thanks x
Old 12-11-2017, 03:28 AM
Married May 27, 2017!

Quote:
Aww I'm sorry to hear that :-( Does halfway house mean he's nearly home?

I live in Ireland and my guy is in AVCF. I'm going to visit next March for the first time. I'm so excited. Do you live in Colorado?
I actually live in California. He was my best friend growing up and I married him after my first husband died.

Halfway house they have a curfew but are allowed to go places with permission, though they have to use approved routes and can only go to places they've been given a pass for.

Most states place them on parole before they go into halfway house but in some cases Colorado will let them go to halfway house before parole. He has to get a job and earn a certain amount of money before he can leave the halfway house. So far he doesn't have a job because they've been focusing on other things for him.

Also he is severely underweight (5'10" and 115 pounds (8 stone 3 pounds) and can't cope with most jobs that are available for felons, which tend to be hard labor.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Oh thanks so much for your reply nancyginnm. It's so nice to find someone who had a loved one in avcf. The book is from lovebookonline so they are the publishers. It's brand new paperback and they send the receipt with the book. They send to correctional facilities but obviously can't guarantee that it will get through. I tried calling the mail room but couldn't get through. It's good to know this though. Thanks x
If there is any kind of nudity in the book then the book will have to go to a "committee" for review. Depending on his crime, he may not be allowed to have it.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
If there is any kind of nudity in the book then the book will have to go to a "committee" for review. Depending on his crime, he may not be allowed to have it.
There's no nudity. It's actually a cartoon book where you create 2 stick figures and then put in different pages like.....I love you because blah blah blah. It's very cute. Nothing bad about it at all. It's on its way now so I guess I'll find out for sure in a couple of days
Old 12-11-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
There's no nudity. It's actually a cartoon book where you create 2 stick figures and then put in different pages like.....I love you because blah blah blah. It's very cute. Nothing bad about it at all. It's on its way now so I guess I'll find out for sure in a couple of days
If it's a cut out/activity book he probably won't get it. If you call the mail room the lady is rude. If you say something she does not like, I can guarantee you will start having problems with mail.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
If it's a cut out/activity book he probably won't get it. If you call the mail room the lady is rude. If you say something she does not like, I can guarantee you will start having problems with mail.
It's not anything like that. It's just a book. Nothing overly fancy about it, doesn't even have colour in it hahaha you should look them up. They're really cute. Lovebookonline.com