Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Georgia Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:51 PM

Default First Visitation What To Expect? Jackson

Going Sunday for my first visitation with my daughters father. He is at Jackson County Correctional. I have no idea what to expect when I get there. What time should I arrive if it starts at 9? I’m starting to get so nervous about the whole thing. I haven’t seen him since 2013 but we have been talking for about a year and a half now. I haven’t ever posted in here before because our story is kinda crazy. Anyway any advice on this would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2017, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,708 Times in 10,103 Posts

Lucky76 - I've moved your post to the Georgia forum; the people here will have better information for you than those in the Federal forum.

Enjoy your visit!
safran (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 08:42 PM

Sorry and thank you I thought I was in there. I have no idea what I’m doing
Old 12-06-2017, 11:01 PM

Thanked 1,254 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky76 View Post
Going Sunday for my first visitation with my daughters father. He is at Jackson County Correctional. I have no idea what to expect when I get there. What time should I arrive if it starts at 9? I’m starting to get so nervous about the whole thing. I haven’t seen him since 2013 but we have been talking for about a year and a half now. I haven’t ever posted in here before because our story is kinda crazy. Anyway any advice on this would be greatly appreciated
Welcome to the group. If visitation starts at 9, I usually get there at least 30 minutes before. It differs from place to place how long the wait is. If there's not a lot of people then you can get screened fairly quickly. When my son was at Wheeler we waited in line over an hour & we got there about 8:15. At Johnson there was no line & we went in really quickly. Here is a link to the DOC visitation info- http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/InmateInfo/Visitation

Are you on his approved visitation list? They will have you fill out a form with info on it. You'll need his GDIC#. They will probably fingerprint you & you will have to go through a metal detector. It's almost like airport security. Don't wear anything with metal especially an underwire bra. You can't bring in anything but your car keys, ID & money for the vending machine. Some places allow dollar bills & others say quarters only. Be sure to have it in a plastic baggie.

Once you're inside they will call him out to visitation. Some places make you sit across from them at a long table & others you can sit apart at a set of chairs & a table. I'm not sure how his location is. We were able to hug our son when he came in & when we were leaving but that's it. There are vending machines with food & drinks. We usually bring about $20 in quarters because the sandwiches are about $3.50-4.50 each. Snacks are about $1.25 & the same with drinks.

If you have some questions, you can call the DOC infoline & ask. The ladies I have spoken to were very helpful. The number is 404-656-4661.It's a bit strange at first but it does get easier after the 1st couple of times. Many times people in line are helpful with tips on how to do things.I hope you have a good visit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (12-08-2017), nimuay (12-07-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 05:30 PM

Thanked 2,385 Times in 836 Posts

And make sure you dress appropriately. No cleavage showing, no leggings/jeggings and no dresses above the knee. Dress like a nun. Some prisons are stricter than others. Keep in mind the time of year visitation rooms can be chilly and there's nothing like freezing your rear off when you're trying to enjoy your visit.
Besides your driver's license, car key and money for vending machine you will need to know your license plate tag # too. Most prisons only allow you to bring a limited amount of change (no bills) in a clear bag.
I hope all goes smoothly and you enjoy your visit.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:29 PM

Thanks. At this point I’m not sure I’m even going to be able to go due to all this snow we got! I’m hoping he calls me tonight because I know he was expecting me but I live about an hour and 15 mins away. I’m so upset about it guess I can try for next week.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:57 PM

Thanked 2,385 Times in 836 Posts

Yes all this snow was quite a suprise!
It might be a bit challenging for those of us that plan to drive to see our loved ones this weekend. I'm hoping a good bit of the snow will melt off today!! I live in Cherokee County/Woodstock close to the Cobb & N. Fulton County line. I keep hearing the main roads are in good shape. It's the side roads that are a little dicey. There are a few down trees leaning on powerlines, on the side roads, that are outside my neighborhood. With all this snow melting this afternoon I'm praying these side roads won't ice up too badly tonight and be a skating rank in the morning.
Be safe!