Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post
Im not comparing my situation, stress or pain to anyone who has had to serve time. I have mentioned multiple times how grateful, fortunate and lucky I am.
I am only relaying my experience, personal thoughts, and some advice.
However,
You make me laugh and, that is really hard for " Someone of privilege" as you called me, to do. I am also totally regretting my socio-economic status. Hopefully one day I can change that.
I know I had read in one of your posts that you had to scrape, save and borrow to pay back the $400k.

So in reality it wasn't your charming personality that got you leniency. You bought your way out. Nothing wrong with that, like I said, nice work but it's sort of patronizing for you to tell the rest of us to mind our manners.

I''m not a child. I know how and when to be respectful and I'm totally ok with my sentence because I deserved it. Do you really think you got what you deserved ? NO, no it wasn't luck. You didnt get lucky. It was your money. In our amazing legal system, you can buy your way out.

However, in China, they execute white collar criminals so don't think about going "worldwide" with your scam, because if you can't handle the stress here, think how stressful real punishment might be. But they do harvest your organs so at least you'd be "giving back" to the community. That's a comforting thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to TTTy For This Useful Post:
Nickel Timer (Yesterday)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2017, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,689 Times in 10,098 Posts

TTTy, that's enough. Worldwide presented and shared his experience, and that makes it valid for him. Many people pay their restitution before they're ever imprisoned, so it's not like he's unique. The fact that he could pay off that much is .... well, good for him. Maybe you can't pay yours, but that's not to say that you're better than he is or vice versa.

Please, stop attacking him with that underhanded snideness.
Sarianna (12-08-2017), worldwide (12-07-2017), xolady (Yesterday)
Old 12-07-2017, 11:31 PM

Thanked 4,039 Times in 2,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTy View Post
I know I had read in one of your posts that you had to scrape, save and borrow to pay back the $400k.

So in reality it wasn't your charming personality that got you leniency. You bought your way out. Nothing wrong with that, like I said, nice work but it's sort of patronizing for you to tell the rest of us to mind our manners.

I''m not a child. I know how and when to be respectful and I'm totally ok with my sentence because I deserved it. Do you really think you got what you deserved ? NO, no it wasn't luck. You didnt get lucky. It was your money. In our amazing legal system, you can buy your way out.

However, in China, they execute white collar criminals so don't think about going "worldwide" with your scam, because if you can't handle the stress here, think how stressful real punishment might be. But they do harvest your organs so at least you'd be "giving back" to the community. That's a comforting thought.
This just blows my mind no wonder you got 5 years if this is how you sound in person!!! By the way in plenty of uncivilized places they cut out your tongue for speaking out against the government!!! Here in the US you get bonus miles for tweeting your shit!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
WARWICKSHIRE (Today), worldwide (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,096 Times in 837 Posts

TTTy may be snide, but he does have a point.

OP didn't get a downward departure for being "polite."

He got a downward departure because he was able to pay off restitution completely before he ever got sentenced. Period.

Nothing wrong with that, but let's not pretend this is anything other than what it is.

In our criminal "justice" system, money talks and bullshit walks. It is what it is.
Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
TTTy may be snide, but he does have a point.

OP didn't get a downward departure for being "polite."

He got a downward departure because he was able to pay off restitution completely before he ever got sentenced. Period.

Nothing wrong with that, but let's not pretend this is anything other than what it is.

In our criminal "justice" system, money talks and bullshit walks. It is what it is.
In my initial post I mentioned a number of factors I felt helped me along the way. Restitution was certainly one of them and you could be right. It may have been the overriding factor that got me the downward departure. However, each thing I described helped to some degree. I know it did as the Judge mentioned it at my sentencing. He explained the things I did that made him depart from a guideline sentence. Letters of support, speeches, charitable work etc.. I personally feel that being courteous along the way made this experience a little less painful.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to worldwide For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (Today), nimuay (Yesterday), xolady (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post
In my initial post I mentioned a number of factors I felt helped me along the way. Restitution was certainly one of them and you could be right. It may have been the overriding factor that got me the downward departure. However, each thing I described helped to some degree. I know it did as the Judge mentioned it at my sentencing. He explained the things I did that made him depart from a guideline sentence. Letters of support, speeches, charitable work etc.. I personally feel that being courteous along the way made this experience a little less painful.
My husband also paid his full restitution as well as performed volunteer/charitable work (throughout his life), had great letters of support, cooperated with the government, was working with a therapist, was pleasant, etc. and also as previously mentioned also received a well below the guidelines sentence. The Judge made a point to mention all of the above just and more, just as the OP mentioned. He did everything he could to correct his mistake and more as well as putting himself in the best light for the Judge to show what kind of person he really was. He had a stellar career before this incident happened in 2006, and had not a single incident in the years since that incident either. The judge took all of that into consideration. It is not all based only on the restitution, but our lawyer told us on day 1 that paying the restitution would make a huge difference. My husband did not have money to pay the restitution, but we took all of our joint savings to pay towards it and he scrounged around to get a loan to pay the rest because it was emphasized how important it was. That doesn't make him privileged because he was able to do that. He had people who were willing to help him out and take a risk on him. They know he is a good person who made a mistake. He may never be able to pay them back, but he is certainly going to try.

Even people who have no money, can make efforts to show their willingness to pay it back, even if it's a nominal amount. So many people make no effort, or try to hide money. It's not a question of paying back $100k, $300k, or $1m. If you owe 10K and pay a few dollars, it shows you're making that effort to make the victim(s) whole. That's what matters, not the dollar amount.

I'm not really sure why everyone is dumping on the OP.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (Today), nimuay (Today), WARWICKSHIRE (Today)
Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,096 Times in 837 Posts

All I know is that I was as "polite" as could be with everyone I dealt with during my first felony case, had plenty of letters of support, and everything.

But my lawyer flat out admitted: the only way to really avoid any prison time here is if you can pay back restitution in full before sentencing. It really does play that critical of a role.

In my first felony case, I had "only" stolen $19K. But I still ended up with a 2-to-10 year prison sentence hanging over my head, because the judge figured it would take me that long to pay it all back.

Had restitution not been an issue, I would have ended up with just probation for my first felony offense as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (Today)