Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Florida should be posted here.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:39 PM

Default Interstate Compact - will they approve it if we are Islamically married?

Me and my husband are married islamically. Will they honor or marriage for interstate parole transfer
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2017, 09:51 PM

Thanked 5,687 Times in 2,981 Posts

Unless you are LEGALLY married under the law's of the state of Florida NO!!!!
Old 12-08-2017, 02:26 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 18,510 Times in 6,711 Posts

Just for clarification-- is Florida the receiving state in this instance?

IC is only partially based on marital status, but marital status alone does not guarantee acceptance by the receiving state. Just thought I'd throw that out there because we see a lot of folks asking if they should legally marry to make an IC happen.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (01-03-2018), Sarianna (12-08-2017), xolady (01-03-2018)
Old 12-08-2017, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,971 Times in 10,813 Posts

Were you married by an officiant who is recognized by the state? Or were you married elsewhere? Do you have a copy of your marriage contract ('aqd)? You may have to work a little harder to make sure they're accepted by the committee, but if you've got papers you should eventually be fine.
Fridyrr.Likn (12-08-2017)
Old 01-01-2018, 09:33 PM

Thank you so much. Yes I have a copy of marriage contract. He was told he can submit for interstate transfer from the program he in at Groveland Correctional facility in NY. So I just sent him all the paperwork.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Banned

Unless things have changed in the past several years since a NY parolee working with us attempted to transfer his supervision to Florida (and I doubt they have), Florida will not accept an IC transferee from a sending state based on marital relationship unless the marriage was legal under State law. The case I am referring to was similar to the extent that it involved an Islamic marriage which, unfortunately, Florida does not (or at least did not then) acknowledge as being a legal marriage.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:03 PM

In Florida you can be married in any religion but you had better be legally married to apply for anything in the courts or probation. If it's not legally recognized then they don't consider you legally married!!!!! I am not being a wise ass either, I now live in Alabama, my crazy X transfered here saying we were common law he got the transfer and I had to actually prove I was not married to him to stop the psycho. Anyway Florida was happy to get rid of him they are very hard on incoming and a marriage thats not legal as in registered in the state you were married means nothing to the state!!!

Last edited by xolady; 01-03-2018 at 06:08 PM..
Old 01-03-2018, 06:39 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,114 Times in 7,425 Posts

Islamicly married reads to me like it's just a religious marriage and not a legal marriage. Your marriage contract may be enough to bind you as husband and wife pursuant to the laws of Islam, but it's not enough to create the marital relationship for the purposes of law.

You need a license. You get a license form the county of marriage once you've met the statutory requirements of the state (the requirements usually aren't very onerous though may require a blood test, an affirmation that each party is not currently married, an affirmation that you aren't related closer than first or second cousins, a payment of a nominal fee, signature of both parties and two witnesses, etc). God is not a part of a civil marriage.

So, glad you've taken care of the religious portion of the problem, but you need to take care of the rest. Only then will you have the weight of a marital relationship for the purposes of IC. Now whether that's enough to get IC once you are in fact married according to the laws of your state - dunno.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (01-04-2018), QueenJameelah (01-10-2018), xolady (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 06:42 PM

FYI.... NY now allows interstate compact applications for friends. Same investigation, looking at relationship, ability to support and give support, the home...which does include landlord, the requestors history of course.
Word of advice: send your letter of assurance directly to the counselor. He can sub it all the information in the world, but the most important thing is the notarized !after DIRECTLY from your hand.
Good luck, I hope all goes well.

I'm not downplaying the solemnity of your Islamic marriage, but in the case of another states rules, the friend portion may help smoother transition.

Last edited by Ms Sunny; 01-03-2018 at 06:45 PM..
Old 01-03-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
FYI.... NY now allows interstate compact applications for friends. Same investigation, looking at relationship, ability to support and give support, the home...which does include landlord, the requestors history of course.
Word of advice: send your letter of assurance directly to the counselor. He can sub it all the information in the world, but the most important thing is the notarized !after DIRECTLY from your hand.
Good luck, I hope all goes well.

I'm not downplaying the solemnity of your Islamic marriage, but in the case of another states rules, the friend portion may help smoother transition.
They are trying to go to FLORIDA not NY. Florida is a very hard state to go to that said good luck! By the way it makes no difference if NY say's it's fine the RECEIVING STATE is the deciding factor!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
CenTexLyn (01-04-2018), ConCraft (01-08-2018), safran (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
They are trying to go to FLORIDA not NY. Florida is a very hard state to go to that said good luck! By the way it makes no difference if NY say's it's fine the RECEIVING STATE is the deciding factor!!!
Yes, I read the posts also. But in past years NY has NOT allowed someone to even expect a chance without the benefit of marriage or blood. OP stated he was in NY. Used to get kicked back by interstate.
Now it has expanded to "friends".
Greater opportunity. No guarantees.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:49 PM

Oh my mistake, generally when someone asks this kind of question they know whats up on their end as in NY, she was asking about Florida, that's why I answered, lived almost my whole life there and I know how much they love criminals!!! Sorry but guy can go and get there and Florida will say hell no we don't want you!!! Then he violated parole!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 05:38 AM

Thanked 10,906 Times in 5,918 Posts

Was glad to see others note that Florida is NOT a good place to transfer into...I have YET to have a client that was happy with the decision to transfer from Texas to Florida. There is not an ounce of discretion used by Florida supervision personnel when it comes to the removal or modification of conditions, even those that would ordinarily fall off at 60 or 90 days had they remained here.

As to the 'marriage,' expect that they will want an actual licensed marriage recognized by law...does not matter WHAT the sending State might allow for application.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (01-04-2018), xolady (01-04-2018)