Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-20-2017, 04:39 AM
chunghwapost chunghwapost is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2013
Location: China & Taiwan
Posts: 103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Default China is not a good place to abscond to

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplo...rmed-robber-us

China extradites escaped American armed robber to US
Man fled to Guangzhou while on run after absconding from prison in the United States

aquan Ferguson, 31, from Brooklyn in New York, was handed over to US officials at Guangzhou International Airport on Friday, the state-run news agency Xinhua reported. Ferguson took part in an armed robbery on a jewellery store in Greenwich, Connecticut in 2011, stealing five Rolex watches worth more than US$60,000, according to the article.
He was jailed in 2014 for 8½ years, but was released briefly on a bond later the same year and failed to return.


Read entire article, linked above.

Edited by Admin to conform with PTO's Copyright Rules

Last edited by patchouli; 10-20-2017 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Copyright Rules
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 11-04-2017, 12:22 PM
chunghwapost chunghwapost is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2013
Location: China & Taiwan
Posts: 103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Default

China is not a good place for a criminal suspect to abscorn. From this news article this man was deported/extradited not long after the request of the US government. There is no trial, no hearing to object this decision unlike in some juridictions. I bet this man may not have even seen a judge or lawyer but was transferred directly from a cell in China back to cell in US, if you want to escape to China you better think twice.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chunghwapost For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-04-2017)
  #3  
Old 11-04-2017, 12:38 PM
xolady xolady is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2014
Location: highlands, florida
Posts: 4,251
Thanks: 7,397
Thanked 4,071 Times in 2,187 Posts
Default

LOL it's one of the last places on earth I would think to run to!!!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-04-2017)
  #4  
Old 11-28-2017, 07:22 AM
The Terminator The Terminator is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

China laws does not fool around.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-28-2017, 09:25 AM
nygirl17 nygirl17 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,724
Thanks: 103
Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,036 Posts
Default

Why would anyone in their right mind abscond anyway and to another country they would have to be dumb
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-28-2017, 10:47 AM
prisonlady prisonlady is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Quebec Canada
Posts: 553
Thanks: 2
Thanked 404 Times in 217 Posts
Default

Because of the off chance that the wheels of bureaucracy will work slowly and they'll somehow forget about him or not bother. Even in the same country, at least after trying at the beginning, the police don't always look very hard for people who committed minor crimes. They may catch them by chance, such as because they are driving. It is true that armed robbery is not a minor crime, although those watches are overpriced.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-28-2017, 10:54 AM
The Terminator The Terminator is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prisonlady View Post
Because of the off chance that the wheels of bureaucracy will work slowly and they'll somehow forget about him or not bother. Even in the same country, at least after trying at the beginning, the police don't always look very hard for people who committed minor crimes. They may catch them by chance, such as because they are driving. It is true that armed robbery is not a minor crime, although those watches are overpriced.

I have Chinese friend that lives in Beijing. For miner crimes you can usually pay off the arresting officer and get a walk.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-28-2017, 12:08 PM
yourself yourself is offline
attorney
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: around
Posts: 11,438
Thanks: 4,014
Thanked 19,855 Times in 7,136 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
Why would anyone in their right mind abscond anyway and to another country they would have to be dumb
Because the morality of that country might keep them in that country or shape the prosecution in this country. For example, Canada doesn't like the death penalty. They have a history of turning over people facing the death penalty only after a guarantee that the defendant won't face the death penalty. And that's only after Canada finds the person. Sure, you're much more findable in Taranto or Montreal, but if you have a penchant for living off the land and can deal with the winters in the far north, then you could live out your entire life in Canada without facing trial. Of course, you have to get across the boarder, first.

And then there are countries that won't extradite at all. Most aren't places I'd want to live, especially as a woman, but some people might find them more or less hospitable.

And places like Israel won't extradite citizens to the US, especially if there's a large discrepancy between Israeli punishment and US punishment for the same crime. You could live free in Israel and not worry about extradition in some countries if you are a citizen of that country. This pertains to people with dual citizenship as well.

So, there are a lot of reasons to abscond to another country if you are facing significant time or death. But China? Knowing what little I know about the Chinese system of justice - it's not a place I'd want to try to abscond to.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-06-2017, 03:55 PM
TTTy TTTy is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 27
Thanks: 4
Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
Why would anyone in their right mind abscond anyway and to another country they would have to be dumb

People I have met, who initially absconded on their charges got greatly reduced sentences because the cases were so old, the prosecutors just wanted to close them.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-07-2017, 09:28 PM
chunghwapost chunghwapost is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2013
Location: China & Taiwan
Posts: 103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Because the morality of that country might keep them in that country or shape the prosecution in this country. For example, Canada doesn't like the death penalty. They have a history of turning over people facing the death penalty only after a guarantee that the defendant won't face the death penalty. And that's only after Canada finds the person. Sure, you're much more findable in Taranto or Montreal, but if you have a penchant for living off the land and can deal with the winters in the far north, then you could live out your entire life in Canada without facing trial. Of course, you have to get across the boarder, first.

And then there are countries that won't extradite at all. Most aren't places I'd want to live, especially as a woman, but some people might find them more or less hospitable.

And places like Israel won't extradite citizens to the US, especially if there's a large discrepancy between Israeli punishment and US punishment for the same crime. You could live free in Israel and not worry about extradition in some countries if you are a citizen of that country. This pertains to people with dual citizenship as well.

So, there are a lot of reasons to abscond to another country if you are facing significant time or death. But China? Knowing what little I know about the Chinese system of justice - it's not a place I'd want to try to abscond to.
Very likely answer, they do not want to go to prison.

Criminals also believe they may or will not face prosecution if they are out of their own jurisdiction, even with or without an extradition policy in place, a foreign country is a sovereign nation and they have discretion whether they see you as a criminal since you may not have committed a crime there, although it may not be the case in China now as there are things such as foreign relations and the close cooperation of law enforcement work. The long arm of the law will always get you.

I post this news to show China is not a safe haven for foreign fugitives, maybe there are better choices out there such as Russia or Iran, but it is not for me to find out.

Last edited by chunghwapost; 12-07-2017 at 09:30 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-07-2017, 09:32 PM
chunghwapost chunghwapost is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2013
Location: China & Taiwan
Posts: 103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Default

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/socie...hild-sex-abuse

Another man wanted for sex abuse got extradited in Shanghai
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-08-2017, 06:41 AM
CenTexLyn CenTexLyn is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: TX-US
Posts: 14,158
Thanks: 524
Thanked 9,876 Times in 5,548 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTy View Post
People I have met, who initially absconded on their charges got greatly reduced sentences because the cases were so old, the prosecutors just wanted to close them.
It is not about 'just wanting to close them.' In some of those cases, some of the evidence or witnesses are no longer available. Conversely, however, there are some who got FAR MORE time precisely because of advances in DNA while they were on the run. Others paid the penalty of getting a max sentence because any original deal was off the table...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good Stuff Can Happen In A Not So Good Place teddy1955 The Parents Forum Lounge 7 10-22-2011 08:16 PM
What does abscond mean? currious07 Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision 5 05-01-2007 10:01 PM
where is a good place to get magazines sent in from! Cassy-n-John Wisconsin Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail 3 11-09-2006 07:49 AM
China/Hong Kong - Life in HK jail better than China Rachel Asia and Pacific Prison & Criminal Justice Topics 0 08-15-2006 07:56 PM
Good Place for Avatars 03 B&C Siggys & Graphics 1 03-26-2005 12:40 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:46 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics