Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:15 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,675 Times in 14,614 Posts
Default Securus Surveilling People Who Aren’t in Prison

Company That Handles Prison Phone Calls Is Surveilling People Who Aren’t in Prison

Securus, one of the country’s largest providers of phone services to incarcerated people, is known for its shady, cruel, and sometimes illegal business practices. It has charged exorbitant rates for prisoners’ calls, limited family and friends to video-only “visits” with incarcerated loved ones, and violated attorney-client privilege by recording phone calls between prisoners and their attorneys.

This week, Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) revealed even more troubling practices that undermine the privacy and civil liberties of millions upon millions of Americans. In letters made public on Friday demanding action from the Federal Communications Commission and several major telecommunications companies, Wyden described Securus’ ability to obtain and share the cell phone location information of virtually anyone who uses a phone.

The letters report that Securus provides correctional facilities with the ability to access real-time location data for virtually any individual in the country — without making sure that officials have obtained a warrant or proper consent.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/privacy-te...ing-people-who

Anything I have to say would need to be deleted Let me regain my composure and come back to this....walking away from the computer

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Billys_Lady (05-22-2018), choclgs (05-21-2018), chosenmemories (05-29-2018), fbopnomore (05-11-2018), gusstanthony (05-12-2018), gvalliant (05-22-2018), miamac (05-11-2018), Nickel Timer (05-11-2018), Sarianna (05-12-2018), sidewalker (05-13-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2018, 03:33 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 18,162 Times in 6,616 Posts

As much as I want to rant on the subject, I'm going to instead say how much I appreciate Sen. Wyden. I wish I could have packed him up and moved him to AZ with me.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (05-21-2018), fbopnomore (05-11-2018), Nickel Timer (05-11-2018), patchouli (05-12-2018), Sarianna (05-12-2018), xolady (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,768 Times in 10,758 Posts

"Choice" is such a poor word to describe this situation! Back to landlines!

And back to hand-counting paper ballots, while we're at it...
choclgs (05-21-2018), fbopnomore (05-12-2018), gvalliant (05-22-2018), patchouli (05-12-2018), sidewalker (05-13-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 10:51 AM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,279 Posts

One of the reasons I'm thankful I haven't given up my landline.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:32 AM

Thanked 1,036 Times in 431 Posts

The article targets the company Securus and more broadly all companies and carriers in the business. It talks about how FCC and government should investigate illegal actions and abuses by the carriers and companies. Appropriately. The article does state:

"Securus provides what it calls “location based services” to its government clients". Clients being prisons, jails etc.

The companies provide this service because the government clients want it. Making them the problem, same as the companies. I'm disappointed the ACLU, Wyden, and the overall tone of the article barely focuses on actions of the clients. A sheriff is in trouble primarily because he used it to track judges and police officers. Does that mean it's otherwise fine for government to request tracking without a warrant as long as they only do it to the public?

I understand they record my call. I hate they might also track me for no reason and with no warrant; just because LEO somewhere wants it. Securus and the jails and the prisons all need to be investigated.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
Shelby67 (06-18-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Company That Handles Prison Phone Calls Is Surveilling People Who Aren’t in Prison

Securus, one of the country’s largest providers of phone services to incarcerated people, is known for its shady, cruel, and sometimes illegal business practices. It has charged exorbitant rates for prisoners’ calls, limited family and friends to video-only “visits” with incarcerated loved ones, and violated attorney-client privilege by recording phone calls between prisoners and their attorneys.

This week, Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) revealed even more troubling practices that undermine the privacy and civil liberties of millions upon millions of Americans. In letters made public on Friday demanding action from the Federal Communications Commission and several major telecommunications companies, Wyden described Securus’ ability to obtain and share the cell phone location information of virtually anyone who uses a phone.

The letters report that Securus provides correctional facilities with the ability to access real-time location data for virtually any individual in the country — without making sure that officials have obtained a warrant or proper consent.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/privacy-te...ing-people-who

Anything I have to say would need to be deleted Let me regain my composure and come back to this....walking away from the computer
Same here! NO doubt! yeah, great I need more things giving me anxiety!!