Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes Do you have news relating to California's Prison or Ciminal Justice System and related efforts? Post them here! Also discuss 3 Strike laws.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:06 AM
Holdin' on for dear life
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyandrew View Post
how can we attend this hearing
It's not on the committee's website yet, but this page has the room number and start times for hearings, so check back: http://apsf.assembly.ca.gov/hearings

Note that they will probably be talking about LOTS of other bills at the hearing besides this one.

You can also listen to live audio of the hearing.

Let's give 'em something to talk about!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (06-13-2018), lovemyandrew (06-14-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2018, 09:48 AM
Holdin' on for dear life
Donation Award 

Here's the hearing schedule if anyone needs details. Looks like it will be one of the last heard on the 26th, although they sometimes move the lineup order.

http://apsf.assembly.ca.gov/hearings

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty For This Useful Post:
lovemyandrew (06-17-2018), miamac (06-15-2018), Patrickj (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 05:19 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
Here's the hearing schedule if anyone needs details. Looks like it will be one of the last heard on the 26th, although they sometimes move the lineup order.

http://apsf.assembly.ca.gov/hearings

I was listening to the hearings on Monday(5/13/2018)
They skipped all over the hearing schedule for the 26th. At least this day is a pretty short Hearing schedule.
Lets hope it is good news. The one I was listening last Monday didn't pass committee but went on to another Committee hearing.
SB-1393 Sentencing
Still waiting on SB-1279 Sentencing: double the base term updates
lovemyandrew (06-17-2018), qwerty (06-15-2018), Sarianna (06-16-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 03:13 PM

SB 1437 passed the Public Safety committee today on a 4-1 vote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lovemyandrew For This Useful Post:
miamac (06-26-2018), qwerty (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 06:39 PM
Holdin' on for dear life
Donation Award 

On to Appropriations now!

Initiate Justice has said it won't get to a floor vote until after the July-August recess, but I'm hoping sooner. But they probably want to vote on it when they're doing a bazillion bills so people don't talk too much...

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty For This Useful Post:
lovemyandrew (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 10:21 AM
Holdin' on for dear life
Donation Award 

Article about SB 1437 by The Marshall Project:

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...t-kill-anyone?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty For This Useful Post:
AdalineNChris (06-28-2018), marie8899 (08-08-2018), Patrickj (08-09-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 08:44 PM

'Hi I Wanted To Ask Will This Help With Inmates Who Have Attempted Murder ? Or Is This For Felony/Murder ? ? .
Old 06-30-2018, 06:39 PM
Holdin' on for dear life
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdalineNChris View Post
'Hi I Wanted To Ask Will This Help With Inmates Who Have Attempted Murder ? Or Is This For Felony/Murder ? ? .
This is for felony murder only.

AdalineNChris (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 08:39 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
This is for felony murder only.
'Okay Thank You ! .
The Following User Says Thank You to AdalineNChris For This Useful Post:
qwerty (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 04:04 PM
Holdin' on for dear life
Donation Award 

Just got an email from Re:store saying it will be heard by the Assembly Appropriations Committee in early August.

They're asking supporters to meet with their assembly representative to discuss the bill before they reconvene on Aug. 6.

gvalliant (07-06-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 12:43 PM

They are expecting the Appropriations vote on the 14th but it could come as early as the 7th. Initiate Justice is holding a lobby day in Sacramento on the 14th and there will be a Restore Justice rally in Front of the capitol on August 21st. I am meeting with my assemblyman, Vince Fong who also happens to be a member of the appropriations committee today

Quote:
Just got an email from Re:store saying it will be heard by the Assembly Appropriations Committee in early August.

They're asking supporters to meet with their assembly representative to discuss the bill before they reconvene on Aug. 6.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:57 AM

Default Question

SB 1437 is scheduled to be heard in appropriations tomorrow August 8th however, there is talk that Senator Skinner might not bring the bill up tomorrow. What exactly would this mean for the bill and is this a cause for concern?
Old 08-07-2018, 02:25 PM

Thanked 1,244 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
SB 1437 is scheduled to be heard in appropriations tomorrow August 8th however, there is talk that Senator Skinner might not bring the bill up tomorrow. What exactly would this mean for the bill and is this a cause for concern?
I don't see that necessarily as cause for concern. A bill gets to this point and there has likely been back room negotiation going on and they have some sense of whether it will go forward or not. That inside negotiating is not going to be released to the public.

Sometimes bills go on "consent". Meaning no one is objecting, decision is made that no presentation is necessary at a hearing. There may be other bills on consent in that committee. They all get voted as a group pass.

Issue with this bill is the $. A lot of them - unallocated from general fund.

A few months ago Senate appropriations did their "analysis". CDCR costs and court costs and DA costs and CDCR savings. The answer these geniuses had to every one of the "costs and savings"? UNKNOWN. Way to go. What good are these people??

Yesterday Assembly appropriations published their analysis. I'm sure this has been central to recent discussions. I'll paste it below:

FISCAL EFFECT:
1) Unknown one-time GF costs, likely in the millions of dollars or more, for courts to hold resentencing hearings.
2) Unknown one-time GF costs, potentially in the hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars, for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) to transport inmates to resentencing hearings.
3) Ongoing administrative GF costs of about $200,000 for CDCR to review and update records.
4) Minor one-time costs for CDCR to train staff on the changes to the law.
5) GF costs of $42,000 in 2018-19 and $84,000 in 2019-20 for the Department of Justice to handle an increase in the number of appeals related to resentencing requests and to update records to reflect resentencing changes.

At least Assembly Approps did a little more analysis and had some numbers. The analysis does not look favorable because millions of dollars have to come from somewhere in the general fund, none of it has been budgeted. They don't say one word about savings

It may pass depending on what they've discussed and negotiated. It may go into suspense file and kinda end there. It may get out of suspense with more back room negotiating. Gov Brown then has veto power, I am told he is reticent to sign bills that have big unallocated price tags.

It can happen but a lot of issues to get through. If they have the political will they can push this through in spite of cost because it is the right thing to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
qwerty (08-08-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 05:47 PM

Ok Thank you for the explanation. So then what happens tomorrow and how soon will we have the answers? Restore Justice is moving ahead with the lobby days and rally but nobody seems to want to give up the answers what they are expecting to happen one way or another at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
I don't see that necessarily as cause for concern. A bill gets to this point and there has likely been back room negotiation going on and they have some sense of whether it will go forward or not. That inside negotiating is not going to be released to the public.

Sometimes bills go on "consent". Meaning no one is objecting, decision is made that no presentation is necessary at a hearing. There may be other bills on consent in that committee. They all get voted as a group pass.

Issue with this bill is the $. A lot of them - unallocated from general fund.

A few months ago Senate appropriations did their "analysis". CDCR costs and court costs and DA costs and CDCR savings. The answer these geniuses had to every one of the "costs and savings"? UNKNOWN. Way to go. What good are these people??

Yesterday Assembly appropriations published their analysis. I'm sure this has been central to recent discussions. I'll paste it below:

FISCAL EFFECT:
1) Unknown one-time GF costs, likely in the millions of dollars or more, for courts to hold resentencing hearings.
2) Unknown one-time GF costs, potentially in the hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars, for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) to transport inmates to resentencing hearings.
3) Ongoing administrative GF costs of about $200,000 for CDCR to review and update records.
4) Minor one-time costs for CDCR to train staff on the changes to the law.
5) GF costs of $42,000 in 2018-19 and $84,000 in 2019-20 for the Department of Justice to handle an increase in the number of appeals related to resentencing requests and to update records to reflect resentencing changes.

At least Assembly Approps did a little more analysis and had some numbers. The analysis does not look favorable because millions of dollars have to come from somewhere in the general fund, none of it has been budgeted. They don't say one word about savings

It may pass depending on what they've discussed and negotiated. It may go into suspense file and kinda end there. It may get out of suspense with more back room negotiating. Gov Brown then has veto power, I am told he is reticent to sign bills that have big unallocated price tags.

It can happen but a lot of issues to get through. If they have the political will they can push this through in spite of cost because it is the right thing to do.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Ok Thank you for the explanation. So then what happens tomorrow and how soon will we have the answers? Restore Justice is moving ahead with the lobby days and rally but nobody seems to want to give up the answers what they are expecting to happen one way or another at this time.
Restore Justice likely doesn't know what will happen. The bill authors will have an idea. Likely tomorrow if they don't "present" the bill will be discussed for all of a few minutes. A few comments from appropriations speaker. Then it most likely goes to suspense without objection. Many bills will do the same. They will probably rattle through a lot of bills this way fairly quickly.

The politicians then work in the coming weeks to move it out of suspense and on the Assembly floor for a full vote. Likely that is why Restore Justice wants to keep the pressure on to make sure they do that. Who knows what goes on in the background. I think they horsetrade and barter. "You give me this, I'll give you that". "Let me use these funds and I'll support funds for bill X now or later".

Senator Skinner has been doing her work. She is not presenting for a reason and has plans to get it through this year.

After tomorrow, they should post both the audio and maybe full video on the Assembly website (https://www.assembly.ca.gov/) the next day so check that on Thursday. You might have to poke around the site to find it. Sometimes you can listen live (https://www.assembly.ca.gov/todaysevents) so check there tomorrow morning to see if they are broadcasting live.

They will post the daily schedule on the site in the morning so you will have an idea when the hearing is and approximately when her bill will be discussed.
qwerty (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 12:39 PM
Holdin' on for dear life
Donation Award 

Just watched the hearing, the bill was placed in suspense.

So, to be continued...

gvalliant (08-08-2018), HunnyteddyBear (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Just watched the hearing, the bill was placed in suspense.

So, to be continued...
What does this mean.. what can happen?
Old 08-08-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Do you know anything about AB1393/1392?
Old 08-08-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunnyteddyBear View Post
What does this mean.. what can happen?
Some bills come out of suspense and go to final vote on the assembly floor. Hopefully this will be one of them. We should see that by the start of September. Then it goes to the governors desk. He can sign or not sign and it will become law effective Jan 1. His third option is to veto, then it will not become law. Veto would have to happen within about 3 weeks of it hitting his desk.

If it does not get out of suspense, it gets held by the Appropriations committee and dies in this legislative session.

Legislators often re-introduce bills for the next year which could easily happen with this bill if it does not pass. I've heard of some legislation going through 3 or 4 years before finally getting a bill pushed through.

For now we hope it gets to Assembly vote, they pass, and the governor lets it go. If you're part of an advocacy group, follow what the leaders of that group recommend. They would understand who to pressure and how to pressure them to get this done.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
lovemyandrew (08-09-2018), Patrickj (08-08-2018), qwerty (08-09-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogi2376 View Post
Do you know anything about AB1393/1392?
Not familiar with either. Sure you have the right numbers?

Go to http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...chClient.xhtml and type in bill number you are looking for in the Bill Number search field.
Patrickj (08-08-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 12:30 AM

Ok I guess I will keep my fingers crossed and nose to the grindstone until it's a sure thing 1 way or another.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:28 AM

PTO Moderator 

[quote=hogi2376;7738249]Do you know anything about AB1393/1392?[/QUOTE

I think you are refereeing to SB1392 and SB1393
SB1392 Failed You may read this information at Bill Status

SB1393 Has had no action on it since June 23,2018 This information may be found here at History The word going around at the Capital is this Bill (SB1393) is about to die also
As far as SB1437,starting to get some out cry from the public on this one.
Being this is an election year for all member of the State Assembly and some State Senators this Bill may also become dust in the wind. This is nothing official yet The Bill SB1437 is scheduled again for the first hearing on August 8,2018, don't expect much to come from this date either. I will keep my ears open. If I should hear anything worth repeating I will let everyone know
hogi2376 (08-09-2018), qwerty (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 02:07 PM
Holdin' on for dear life
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
As far as SB1437,starting to get some out cry from the public on this one.
Regarding public outcry, are there any links to read about that? I've been wondering about opposition to this bill. Skinner earlier indicated she's been working with the DAs' association to reach some compromises on their objections...

Last edited by qwerty; 08-09-2018 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 08-09-2018, 02:25 PM
Holdin' on for dear life
Donation Award 

UPDATE: Just talked to Senator Skinner's office (she sponsored the bill), and they say it will be back in front of the Assembly Appropriations Committee on August 17.

gvalliant (08-09-2018), Patrickj (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 05:00 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanks to the way that AB1810 became law didn't sit well with certain powers to be in Sacramento. Now any of the Bills that have went through the right channels that pertain to sentence reform are getting stiffed
There is pro and con on SB1437, defense attorneys, and some legal analysts
support the Bill on the other hand most law enforcement are against it. I personally support this Bill, but mitigating facts also need to be taken in to account on each case. This is not a get out of jail free card.
If this Bill should become law. Other people involved in a crime but were not the actual person(s) involved in the murder. Would not be sentenced under the offense of murder. They still could be charged with other offenses that took place before or after the murder. The only sticker here with SB1437, is it is not retroactive. There a many people in custody with a murder sentence attached to their term yet they did not in reality commit the act of murder. Should SB1437 become law .Will this help them or only new cases after SB1437 becomes law? I can not get any kind of information if SB1437 becomes law if it will help them. I get a lot of lip service but nothing in hard copy facts.I get a lot of wait and see. I have people inside hounding me wanting answers that I can not find them. Yet the rumor mill inside is building up a lot of false hope. By saying "OH homie we are going to get out when this Bill passes " If this Bill is going to help those already convicted. The sentencing courts will need funding to carry out the necessary corrections to the ones already sentenced. Now where is this funding going to come from? A new Bill(spending Bill) will be needed to be introduced and approved to cover these added expenses. We all know how spending Bills for anything to due with or for prisoner goes.
A lot of unanswered question. A lot of politics is going to be played here. As people sit and wait with conviction for murder they in reality didn't do
gvalliant (08-09-2018)