Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:34 PM
One Day Closer

Default December 2018 Government Shutdown: Are you affected by it?

How were/are you affected by it?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsLadyBear View Post
How were/are you affected by it?
My husband was no xmas event where he is was kind of a bummer
Old 12-26-2018, 07:19 PM

Thanked 1,462 Times in 739 Posts

Visiting at the Federal facility where my husband is and other programs are not affected as of now.

The implementation of the First Step Act however, is. They dates can't get updated for the inmates so there are definitely guys who should be released, that are stuck as a result because the BOP in Texas that inputs this info, is most likely not working since they're probably not considered essential workers. Doesn't affect us directly yet, but will soon enough because my husband's release date is supposed to be moved up 10 days so this thing hopefully will end sometime next week if not sooner.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:47 PM
One Day Closer

Where my guy's at all programs are on modification.

Which also means everything is moving at snails pace.

I know you ladies will agree when I say you can't wait till this chapter is over.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsLadyBear View Post
Where my guy's at all programs are on modification.

Which also means everything is moving at snails pace.

I know you ladies will agree when I say you can't wait till this chapter is over.
Definitely can't wait! 36 more days, but he is actually eligible to get out 10 days earlier due to the new Act that was passed, but even better he said due to a provision in the Act that changes some language from prior laws, he meets some provisions that he should actually get out on January 6 straight to home confinement and no HWH period. I doubt that's happening with the shutdown, but either way, he is out of that dump in no more than 36 days!
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
BearsLadyBear (12-26-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 10:30 PM
One Day Closer

I am so happy for you Rock!!

I hope your guy gets out in 10 days. The shutdown has delayed/denied many. It's expected to last till January.

We have 9 months to go.. And I will dancing to the same tune as you when we approach the 30 days till release mark.

Last edited by BearsLadyBear; 12-26-2018 at 10:39 PM..
Old 12-27-2018, 07:04 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,293 Times in 14,727 Posts

I dont know if I am or not.
Suspect I am but I cant find out any info.
I will be officially retired on the 31st. Not sure if the office of personnel management is affected by the partial shut down or not.
Its not listed when I go to the opm website, but maybe there is no one to add any info the the website.
Guess I'll find out soon enough tho.......
at least i got all my paperwork in back in Oct/Nov.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 01-09-2019, 02:05 AM
Married May 27, 2017!

I'm disabled to the point where employers won't hire me but the federal government thinks I'm employable if I find an understanding employer. Thus, I don't receive disability. I live with my family, I receive food stamps, and a limited amount of cash assistance that basically provides rent for my family and paying to talk to my husband on the phone and a few toiletries. Nothing else.

If this shutdown continues, I will most likely not be receiving my $170 of food stamps (hard to feed myself properly on anyway as I have multiple food allergies- can't eat the cheap proteins of peanuts, beans, lentils, chicken) and I don't know where the funding for my cash assistance comes from initially. It's a county program but I don't know if the funding ultimately comes from federal money or not. At any rate, if I do receive that money I will still likely not have my food stamps, and all of my spare money (all $60 of it) will be allocated to food. My family won't let me starve to death but their idea of a meal (half a salad plate) and my idea of a meal (one regular size plate) are drastically different, and my $60 isn't gonna go much of anywhere.

And in that case, I won't be able to talk to my husband on the phone once our current money runs out, so we're conserving calls to only twice a week.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:41 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,293 Times in 14,727 Posts

I believe you would still receive the food stamps. I think that comes from the state, not the federal govt.
As to the money you get? I also thought that was a state issue.

I dont think the feds have a say in a disability claim either. (denying you a disability)
I could be wrong but I dont think I am re: the food stamps

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (01-09-2019), Sarianna (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 10:29 AM

Thanked 1,363 Times in 569 Posts

Fortunately no worries re food stamp (SNAP) program. It is Federally funded but administered by individual states. From Federal standpoint, the program is not impacted by the shutdown.

SDI is a state issue so California, not the feds, make determinations on that.

Social Security Administration also offers Disability Benefits and Supplemental Benefits different than state SDI. SSA disability benefits have their set of requirements and definitions. Those are Federal of course. Regardless, Social Security payments are not impacted by the shutdown.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (01-09-2019), sidewalker (01-10-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenwyn View Post
I'm disabled to the point where employers won't hire me but the federal government thinks I'm employable if I find an understanding employer. Thus, I don't receive disability. I live with my family, I receive food stamps, and a limited amount of cash assistance that basically provides rent for my family and paying to talk to my husband on the phone and a few toiletries. Nothing else.

If this shutdown continues, I will most likely not be receiving my $170 of food stamps (hard to feed myself properly on anyway as I have multiple food allergies- can't eat the cheap proteins of peanuts, beans, lentils, chicken) and I don't know where the funding for my cash assistance comes from initially. It's a county program but I don't know if the funding ultimately comes from federal money or not. At any rate, if I do receive that money I will still likely not have my food stamps, and all of my spare money (all $60 of it) will be allocated to food. My family won't let me starve to death but their idea of a meal (half a salad plate) and my idea of a meal (one regular size plate) are drastically different, and my $60 isn't gonna go much of anywhere.

And in that case, I won't be able to talk to my husband on the phone once our current money runs out, so we're conserving calls to only twice a week.
I believe the SNAP program is going to be funded at least until mid- February so you are ok at least until then and then who knows if they'll find other options at that point. Here's an article on it https://www.cbsnews.com/news/governm...da-2018-01-09/

The funding DOES come through the FEDS for it.

Social security is not affected. It comes from a different pot.

Last edited by rockchalk1; 01-09-2019 at 09:53 PM..
Old 01-11-2019, 04:00 AM
Married May 27, 2017!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
Fortunately no worries re food stamp (SNAP) program. It is Federally funded but administered by individual states. From Federal standpoint, the program is not impacted by the shutdown.

SDI is a state issue so California, not the feds, make determinations on that.

Social Security Administration also offers Disability Benefits and Supplemental Benefits different than state SDI. SSA disability benefits have their set of requirements and definitions. Those are Federal of course. Regardless, Social Security payments are not impacted by the shutdown.
I don't have enough employment to qualify for SDI. I only qualify for SSI which IS federal. My late husband was on it.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:01 AM
Married May 27, 2017!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
I believe the SNAP program is going to be funded at least until mid- February so you are ok at least until then and then who knows if they'll find other options at that point. Here's an article on it https://www.cbsnews.com/news/governm...da-2018-01-09/

The funding DOES come through the FEDS for it.

Social security is not affected. It comes from a different pot.
Again, I don't receive social security. Never qualified for SSDI because I've only been able to be employed for 15 months of my 18 years of adult life.