Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Illinois Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 02-16-2019, 02:05 PM

Default Video visits in Illinois (GTL): How long for approval?

Anyone have video visit capabilities?

How long did it take to get approved?

Do *you* have to stay stationary or can you move around with your device (laptop, phone, tablet)?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2019, 09:16 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,835 Times in 16,502 Posts

I'm sorry you haven't gotten a reply Have you tried reading through the General Prison Talk sub-forum for visitation? Or the Illinois sub-forum for visitation?

I had a couple of video visits through Telmate a few years ago. My Mr & I were denied visits, but there was no "approval" necessary for the video visits. Or, if there was, we somehow fell through the cracks and the system (Telmate) just let us do it

I can't remember if "moving around" was brought up in the rules, but I doubt they'd like it much if there was a lot of movement from room to room to outside & back, or whatever. It may cause the system to shut you down (?) but I don't know that for a fact.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 02-16-2019, 09:53 PM
It is what it is
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,532 Times in 2,247 Posts

You can read up on the rules on the IDOC website.
https://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facil...px#visitationg

A headset is recommended due to the feedback. The first time I did a video visit, I didn't use a headset and the feedback wasn't terrible, but it was there and annoying.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINOIS.PAL View Post

Do *you* have to stay stationary or can you move around with your device (laptop, phone, tablet)?

We just started video visits with IDOC GTL a few months ago. It took about a week to get approved. You can't move around, you have to stay seated. You can't turn the camera around and show him the room. No music on in the background, no one else can say hi even if they are not on camera. Oh and you have to wear the same appropriate clothing as you would on a face to face visit. It's fun tho!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to filmgirl123 For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (03-19-2019), ILLINOIS.PAL (02-18-2019), jemcc (05-07-2019), patchouli (02-19-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmgirl123 View Post
We just started video visits with IDOC GTL a few months ago. It took about a week to get approved. You can't move around, you have to stay seated. You can't turn the camera around and show him the room. No music on in the background, no one else can say hi even if they are not on camera. Oh and you have to wear the same appropriate clothing as you would on a face to face visit. It's fun tho!
Damn I wonder why mine still hasnít been approved and itís been 2 weeks now. He added me to his list a week ago and said it was approved on his end.. Dixon is killing me.
The Following User Says Thank You to ILLINOIS.PAL For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (03-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:

I have them weekly. It took over 30 days to be approved. I recommend headphones and a quiet place. Try not to move to much- pixels are bad. So yes stationary do not walk around. Make sure to have your I'd handy. They check you in. Only you are allowed in the screen, they will cut the visit if they see anyone else.

Hope this helps!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vlopez5 For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (03-19-2019), ILLINOIS.PAL (02-20-2019), patchouli (02-19-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlopez5 View Post
I have them weekly. It took over 30 days to be approved. I recommend headphones and a quiet place. Try not to move to much- pixels are bad. So yes stationary do not walk around. Make sure to have your I'd handy. They check you in. Only you are allowed in the screen, they will cut the visit if they see anyone else.

Hope this helps!
I wonder if I can use a tablet to do this or if I can use my phone in the car (parked of course).

I called the prison yesterday and they said it usually takes about a week to be approved - the person who attended me said they may have had someone on vacation. Iíve noticed a HUGE lag with GTL messaging over the past week :/ so I wonder if the mailroom is short staffed or..?
a.rare.love (03-19-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 02:10 PM

Ok so at what point should I follow up with the prison? I registered 2/6, I called 2/19 and she said usually it takes about a week, but that my file was in the background check phase. Do I give it another week? Try back this week?
a.rare.love (03-19-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 01:20 PM

For anyone else's future reference: took 28 days for approval.
a.rare.love (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmgirl123 View Post

We just started video visits with IDOC GTL

a few months ago. It took about a week to get approved.

You can't move around, you have to stay seated.

Oh and you have to wear the same appropriate clothing as you would on a face to face visit. It's fun tho!
OMG. yea i heard that.

yea,
so i just was teasing mi bebe saying, "I guess mi silk nightie is out huh with a romantic cancion!(song) i wrote. lol he laugh so loud other night when i said this, as we are anxiously looking forward to it. (KANE COUNTY)keep saying soon. Latest is now the 24th, we pray this is true.adios... hugs to all and blessings. i just can't wait. adios.

Life is too short to "settle."

#Strength is Power.

#KnowyourWorth

T.A.A.S.(there are ALWAYS signs.)Don't ignore them.
The Following User Says Thank You to a.rare.love For This Useful Post:
ILLINOIS.PAL (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.rare.love View Post
OMG. yea i heard that.

yea,
so i just was teasing mi bebe saying, "I guess mi silk nightie is out huh with a romantic cancion!(song) i wrote. lol he laugh so loud other night when i said this, as we are anxiously looking forward to it. (KANE COUNTY)keep saying soon. Latest is now the 24th, we pray this is true.adios... hugs to all and blessings. i just can't wait. adios.

aw i didn't know your guy was in IL too!! how cool!!

are you waiting for his facility to get video kiosks or are you waiting for him to get tablet or..??
Old 05-05-2019, 09:46 PM

Default took us about 10 days....

Quote:
For anyone else's future reference: took 28 days for approval.
I'm sorry it took so long! It is so horrible missing our loved one already and without phone calls, video visits and mail (I love seeing his handwriting and reading his sweet, loving messages!!!) it's just the worst
Old 05-07-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemcc View Post
I'm sorry it took so long! It is so horrible missing our loved one already and without phone calls, video visits and mail (I love seeing his handwriting and reading his sweet, loving messages!!!) it's just the worst

That month is a drop in the bucket now. We have one or two video visits a week and have since March <3

Although I should add the kiosks are wonky and if you don't reset your own router/modem you'll often encounter lag or shutdowns with the visits. It gets really frustrating at times. IDK if it's a statewide problem or just at my LO's facility. But, the prison called me yesterday to ask me to help them test because they were gonna have a tech out today to fix things. Hopefully they can address the lag and the shutdowns.
jemcc (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Hey girl ! Where is your man? Mine's at Menard and it took about two weeks after I submitted my driver's license, etc. to do the background check. You can't move around

They have rules like a visit where you have to stay still, just you (no one else in frame) and you have to even dress like you're on a visit - it's AWESOME though- enjoy it !!!!!!!

We have one on May 24 and then 27 for an hour (I accidentally grabbed a half hour one lol)

Old 05-07-2019, 11:09 AM
Donation Award 

I’m doing my first video visit tmro. I got approved within 2 weeks last year but we never used it cuz we talked so much in between in person visits. Now he’s a Pinckneyville and barely can use the phone
The Following User Says Thank You to jessesgirl1111 For This Useful Post:
ILLINOIS.PAL (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemcc View Post
Hey girl ! Where is your man? Mine's at Menard and it took about two weeks after I submitted my driver's license, etc. to do the background check. You can't move around

They have rules like a visit where you have to stay still, just you (no one else in frame) and you have to even dress like you're on a visit - it's AWESOME though- enjoy it !!!!!!!

We have one on May 24 and then 27 for an hour (I accidentally grabbed a half hour one lol)

He's at Dixon. We've been doing video visits for almost 2 months now. I keep gravitating toward going in August or December to see him in person for the first time, but we'll see.

And yes - they're tough on the rules too. Well, kinda. Man last weekend my kid started FaceTiming me and I wasn't home when she did. Thinking it was an emergency I picked up and was hurriedly trying to get her off the phone. They cut my visit and were like "don't ever do that again" before they let me back on. How embarrassing -_-;
Old 05-11-2019, 06:22 PM

Does anyone know if you can do a visit on an iPhone?
Old 05-13-2019, 12:46 PM
Donation Award 

You can not. Only android devices.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:04 PM

This isn't a question about approval, but a question about the quality of the visits. I don't want to start another thread because it'll for sure end up being merged anyway.

SO. How has everyone's quality been with their video visits?

We've had really good days where we can see and hear each other with no complications, and we've had really bad days where he can't hear me at all so the visit has ended 5 minutes in because there was nothing anyone at the prison could do to fix it. We've had more times than I'd like to count where the video feed has gone black for 5-10 seconds, numerous times during the visit. I've followed all instructions from Renovo/GTL's support before starting a visit (restarting the modem/router/network, restarting my computer, making sure I use Google Chrome)...

Last weekend we had our usual Sunday morning video visit and the screen went black like 7-9 times. It was so frustrating, but we laughed about it. I called tech support today and it's an issue within the prison, so they're going to send a tech out to reboot the system.

I feel terrible because I'm forever calling Renovo about these issues, and they're always helpful and refund my money, but damn.. I'm starting to wonder if I should just accept that the visits are going to be shitty quality wise or if I should complain every time it happens or what.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:45 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
This isn't a question about approval, but a question about the quality of the visits. I don't want to start another thread because it'll for sure end up being merged anyway.

SO. How has everyone's quality been with their video visits?

We've had really good days where we can see and hear each other with no complications, and we've had really bad days where he can't hear me at all so the visit has ended 5 minutes in because there was nothing anyone at the prison could do to fix it. We've had more times than I'd like to count where the video feed has gone black for 5-10 seconds, numerous times during the visit. I've followed all instructions from Renovo/GTL's support before starting a visit (restarting the modem/router/network, restarting my computer, making sure I use Google Chrome)...

Last weekend we had our usual Sunday morning video visit and the screen went black like 7-9 times. It was so frustrating, but we laughed about it. I called tech support today and it's an issue within the prison, so they're going to send a tech out to reboot the system.

I feel terrible because I'm forever calling Renovo about these issues, and they're always helpful and refund my money, but damn.. I'm starting to wonder if I should just accept that the visits are going to be shitty quality wise or if I should complain every time it happens or what.
We have a video visit every week and the only major issue we have had is not being able to hear each at times. When that happens, I either adjust the volume on my PC or I will unplug my ear buds and plug back in. Most of the time that works but is still frustrating. It's the same thing with our phone calls, sometimes there is silence and then I can hear background noise and know that that the phone has "reconnected" for lack of better words. Last week and the week before were horrible for phone calls because it kept cutting out like every 2 minutes. So frustrating! As for the video quality, our video visits are pretty clear. There have been a couple times that the video quality was poor but for the most part all have been good. I hope they get the issues figured out soon so you 2 can have a good, uninterrupted visit!