Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Member Introductions & Bull in Session Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Member Introductions & Bull in Session Lounge Introductions forum for California members and a place to discuss non-prison related topics with other people in the State.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:59 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,691 Times in 15,324 Posts
Default California Chit Chat 2019

Here is a link to the 2018 thread

http://prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708690

Cant believe a whole year is gone! Time seems to fly lately

That's my dog's nose art

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2019, 10:22 AM

Donation Award 

So how is 2019 treating everyone?
Hopefully well.
For me its been an adjustment. I retired at the end of last year so its been strange.

I just wish the weather would get better sooner. lol. Come on spring!

Here in Northern CA its just been rain rain rain it seems. We needed it for sure, but a break now and again would be nice.

Hows everyone else faring?

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (02-17-2019), Halo527 (02-25-2019), Patrickj (02-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 11:51 PM

Thanked 1,453 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Hows everyone else faring?
2019 starting better than 2018. At least at a CDCR level for me and my son. I'll take it. Of course 2018 was so bad that if it didn't get better I'd probably soon be taking a long walk on a short pier...

Retirement is weird isn't it. I've retired and unretired a few times the last year or two. I get bored easy plus I can't kid myself into thinking I can actually afford to retire. Reality sucks.

I hear you about the rain. We have a lot in SoCal this winter. Beats the cold -30 degree with -50 degree windchill like our friends in the north and northeast had this winter. A little perspective....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
Halo527 (02-25-2019), Patrickj (02-18-2019), Sarianna (02-18-2019), sidewalker (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 05:39 AM

I was mwi at one point .he's still in CA and we rain friends. Just denied parole again he's done 25 so far on a 20-life. I am retired on medical grounds and now live on an island off UK mainland. It rains a lot here to where I lived in England but the life and scenery make up for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to orchibu For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 09:13 AM

Donation Award 

gvalliant
Oh I know it could be worse. Much worse weather wise.
I guess after being forced for over 30 yrs to work outside no matter the weather, I find it good to be able to decide if I want to brave it.
I DO need to get outside more tho. Too much sitting on my butt is not good.
I think once the weather improves some I'll be back to a routine of at least walking more.

As to not working, I dont know yet if that is going to be a thing. I think Im going to have to be doing something here soon. Its not like Im rolling in money. Not by a long shot. But I did save enough to get by for a bit til my retirement actually kicks in. Supposed to get my first *check* around the 1st. So we shall see.

An island sounds great, but not a rainy one lol!
Its just been an especially wet winter so far.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (02-20-2019), Halo527 (02-25-2019), Patrickj (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 11:20 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote:
gvalliant
Oh I know it could be worse. Much worse weather wise.
I guess after being forced for over 30 yrs to work outside no matter the weather, I find it good to be able to decide if I want to brave it.
I DO need to get outside more tho. Too much sitting on my butt is not good.
I think once the weather improves some I'll be back to a routine of at least walking more.

As to not working, I dont know yet if that is going to be a thing. I think Im going to have to be doing something here soon. Its not like Im rolling in money. Not by a long shot. But I did save enough to get by for a bit til my retirement actually kicks in. Supposed to get my first *check* around the 1st. So we shall see.

An island sounds great, but not a rainy one lol!
Its just been an especially wet winter so far.

I hear you on sitting on my butt to much. I told my brother the other day I feel like I am getting poisoned inside by not getting out and doing my 1/2 mile to a mile walk a day. After three tries at retirement I have finally stayed retired Adjusting to the income cut back wasn't as hard as I thought this time . I am just not cut out for 6o hour work weeks anymore. Even if most of my work is from home. I still was sitting in front of my computer a good 45+hours a week.
2019 so far is going good I have to have surgery (hernia repair) so my brother gets the job of dealing with my cranky ass after I have surgery.
Other then that I am doing great. Maybe I am finally learning how to just let crap go and not letting stupid things and people bother me.
My former job still calls on me . I do very little for them ( I have to keep my contact options open) I have contacts in places that are and have retired also. The new people taking their places need to learn that being nice ( not rude) would benefit them better, because I still know people in higher place then they hold. Sometimes their remarks are discussed "off the record", Just as a concerned citizen I am enjoying myself for a change, No more relationship drama, so life is good. I am finding out that 35-40 year old professional females and I have a different approach to life Maybe we just had careers that didn't help our situation either

Last edited by Patrickj; 02-18-2019 at 11:24 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrickj For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (02-20-2019), Halo527 (02-25-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 09:30 AM

Donation Award 

Oh sorry about the surgery Patrick. Hopefully after you have healed, you will feel alot better.

My bil has to have surgery on his knees. I feel bad for him. He gets almost zero help at home as his wife is also ill and his son who will be 18 is a terror. He's an aspy but well.....lets just say its ALL about him. He's pissed his dad will be out of commission so he wont be able to take him places to railfan. I just cant even go there with discussing him or I get really pissed off. (which does no one any good)

Really looking forward to possibly getting to see my grandson sunday.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 03-03-2019, 10:25 PM

Default Patiently Waiting

I am soooo jealous hearing about your retirement.

I have a long ways to go before I can sit back and collect on all the hard work I put in.

I just returned from vacation out of the country and am surprised by all the rain we are receiving in CALI.

The last couple of years have been a rollercoaster in both my career and personal life. I've entered 2019 with a purpose and an intentional drive to keep things positive.

I had gotten into a little bit of a rut. I'm back though! Living unapologetically. Looking forward to marrying my hunny.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 100%Hiz For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (03-04-2019), sidewalker (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 07:03 AM

Donation Award 

The rain has just been unrelenting. It gets old.
Looks like we are in for some more this week too. Sure hope that the river stays where its supposed to.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
miamac (03-04-2019), Patrickj (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 07:03 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,112 Posts

Between the fires last year and the rain so far this year my 5 acres has just about been turned in to 5 feet . Maybe some of the neighbors real estate will was down on my vacation property( there is a joke vacation property) I still have power and my well is working according to the people that keep an eye on my property while I am away
sidewalker (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 09:33 AM

Donation Award 

Yeah even my own backyard has pools of water. Thats not usual. It may pool for a bit, but will go down after a few hrs.

Its so saturated it cant.
It may today as the rain has stopped for now. And I cant figure out.......what is the bright thing???? The blue stuff??
Oh yeah, sunlight and no clouds or at least there is some blue out there.
Looking forward to that.
I think today and tomorrow should be ok. But maybe some rain on sat. So far clear for sun/mon.

This means.......I gotta go get some more flowers. I got four six packs of panseys the other day and it sure does make it look prettier. Even if its raining.
Also got a bag of lillys.(5) Hoping it was not too wet and they rot.

I also planted some mixed lettuce. I noticed yesterday they are coming up.

Getting excited for springtime.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 05-22-2019, 07:28 AM

Donation Award 

Anyone else sick to death of rain?
We've had some nice weather but still are getting rain.
And now add in WIND. Super windy. At least for the next few days the reports all say its supposed to be clear.

Hows the weather in your area? Are things nicer?

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Hows the weather in your area? Are things nicer?
Cool last couple weeks. CA Central Valley has been in the 60's...late May...20 or 25 degrees below normal. Which is fine by me. All relative. When I lived in Montana Memorial weekend would be 80 degrees one year. The next year it would snow.

It just started raining heavy a few minutes ago in Orange County. I'm sure reason being I washed my truck this afternoon.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 09:20 AM

Donation Award 

**I washed my truck this afternoon.**

haha, this happens to me all the time too.
Truth, yesterday was better than I expected weatherwise. Not nearly as windy and just a bit cloudy. And warmer.
However its probably gonna be a cruddy memorial day weekend the forecast says. For us, that fairly typical.
We get fog. And wind. But it usually gets nice in the afternoons. (that ocean influence ya know)
Seems our summer hits in sept/oct.
With a few scattered warm days in between.
I just want the rain over with. (I gotta wash my car again lol)

That's my dog's nose art

Old 05-25-2019, 06:52 AM

Wish I could say I'm doing ok. I'm so, so stupid, my car has a rod getting ready to go and it's my dumb fault cause I didn't check the oil. I got so caught up with some drama with one of my teenage grandson's that I just put it into my head that since it was going for an oil change next week it would be ok. Yeah right! I know better and I'm so good about taking care of my cars except this time. Now I'm assed out and still got 3 more years of payment. If my foot could reach my butt if be kicking it 24/7!! I'm on a very limited income and it's either come up with 4 grand to get another engine or try to get a new car. I feel as though I've just lost a loved one. I knew deep in my heart that I was neglecting it until it was too late. The noise isn't loud but it's there, I definitely did something to it. So now I'm trying to figure something out not that I have a lot of options. Well, hope all you have a great holiday weekend.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:49 AM

Donation Award 

awwwww, Francis Im sorry.
I just hate car issues.

My son did something similar with the car he inherited from me. Check engine light came on and he thought ok, I'll just drive home. He did stop and pick up a thing of oil.
Gets home puts in the oil and turns it over and poof. Horrible noise and lots of smoke.
Since it was an older car he didnt try fixing it. He JUST donated it recently... At least he got 200 dollars for it.
He ended up leasing a new vehicle. (I love it)
so now we are the *red family on the block*
Mine is red
Hubs is sort of maroonish red
Sons is red-ish orange.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 05-26-2019, 11:46 PM

Nothing came on, no check engine, oil light but it's still my fault, I know better been around cars all my life. But, there's a bright side to this, I used my daughter's car and went back to where I bought it 2 yrs ago and they remember me, not too many people go in with the money I wanted to use for a down payment lol I was so Blessed by my Lord, the people felt so bad for that they let me trade it in for another car. I just cried, I had no money for a down payment but my payment was made every month on time and they said my credit score went up so they helped me to get approved by the bank. And they did plus my payments are only $5 more a month although it got put out too 72 months long time but the car is a 2015 and the mileage was really very low. I'll miss my other one but I just couldn't replace the engine. Trip on this, I started my old one up and the darn thing was quiet but I could still hear it just really low. I did something to it, I know for sure cause I heard it and the 2 mechanics heard it too.i had it towed all the way down to L.A. that's where I bought it. The only thing is, I don't like the inside as it's a beige and with all the grandkids I have.... Yeah I'll for sure have to get car seat covers lol and also one of those covers for my dog. I told her no rides in the new car till I can get the back seat covered. One of my daughter's has one she's going to give me cause my baby goes with me all the time. Hope everyone has a Blessed Memorial Day Weekend and be safe
sidewalker (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 10:54 AM

Donation Award 

We got these back seat covers i really really like at Costco. They are waterproof on one side and fuzzy cozy on the other. They go over the headrests in the back seats. Easy to install. and they fold up into sort of a bag looking thing. Might check there (they are not too expensive)
As to the front seats......huuuum. I love my sheepskin cover. (my seats are vinyl so hot in summer/cold in winter) We left the passenger seat without a cover.

Glad you got a new car!! Awesome!

That's my dog's nose art

Francis213 (05-27-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 07:01 AM

Donation Award 

I hope everyone is safe during these earthquakes in Southern CA.
Yikes. Nerve wracking Im sure, and I hope we dont get any up here. No thank you.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 07-06-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I hope everyone is safe during these earthquakes in Southern CA.
Yikes. Nerve wracking Im sure, and I hope we dont get any up here. No thank you.
No worries in Orange County. Felt them both, just a long rolling sensation but not at all scary.

I wonder about prisons at Tehachapi and Cal City. They are close enough to have gotten one hell of a shake. Wonder if any members have LO's at either who they've heard from about how it felt?
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 09:29 AM

Donation Award 

my hub WAS in cci, and he said the same thing re: how they fared. (hubs out now)
I do know I was reading a newspaper article that some folks are not sleeping inside the house. They are scared. With so many aftershocks, it would make me really nervous as well.
I hope everyone is safe.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 07-09-2019, 04:47 PM

I felt them but being that I'm Cali girl it's no big thing..... Yet. I know that having been in a number quakes during my madness inside there, they'd lock us down and leave. I'm serious about it, you'd see the CO 's walking out of the buildings. In CIW you'd see them walking up to the front by Admin. In CCWF your see them going towards work change. Yeah, leave your charges behind lol Riverside County Jail, that place rocks and rolls lol being on the 6th floor was crazy. They'd lock you down and then get the hell out of Dodge. No bueno....I said to my family, oh I bet the county is rocking and rolling, jail house rock lol but on the serious side, my heart goes out to Ridgecrest and Trona. Prayers for all of them.

Last edited by Francis213; 07-09-2019 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Corrections
The Following User Says Thank You to Francis213 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 07:06 AM

Donation Award 

Thats just sad.
I know I was concerned a two yrs ago for the county jail imates too. The fires we had up here were VERY VERY close to the jail. And the sheriff's office as well. They thought they were going to have to evacuate the sheriff's office where the 911 dispatch operators were (who were SOOOOOOO BUSY as you might imagine)

glad thats over. Praying we have no more crazy fires like that ever.
The smoke must have been just terrible in there.

That's my dog's nose art

Francis213 (07-10-2019)