Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

CDCR - What You Need to Know Information relating to the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation. Q&A for those new to the CDCR system should be posted here.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:10 PM

Thanked 1,107 Times in 527 Posts

You are entitled to your opinion. Mine is different. In addition to reading about prior tensions related to Integration at CCC that have been posted on here, I had an opportunity to read letters sent by some inmates who are now in Ad Seg after the riot.
Resistance to being forced to Integrate is clearly mentioned as well as violence between GP and SNY.

And I do hold CDCR responsible!
The Following User Says Thank You to marie8899 For This Useful Post:
JessesGirl2022 (09-09-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie8899 View Post
You are entitled to your opinion. Mine is different. In addition to reading about prior tensions related to Integration at CCC that have been posted on here, I had an opportunity to read letters sent by some inmates who are now in Ad Seg after the riot.
Resistance to being forced to Integrate is clearly mentioned as well as violence between GP and SNY.

And I do hold CDCR responsible!
Where the Inmates GP that were sending you the letters?
Are they still classified as GP?
If they are "GP" what is their version of events and how it went down.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:36 PM

I can't give information; I just wanted to make the point that the riot is related to Integration. If you check some previous posts related to CCC, you will see that tensions were building up related to Integration.

I go back to my previous assertions. While it is true that some prisons have been able to successfully Integrate, for many prisoners on both sides (SNY and GP), it is a "lose-lose" situation. It is also not accurate to assume that people who get stuck in these violent incidents are all the same. Many affiliated people want to peacefully do their time and go home! But as I think you yourself implied, people who are under orders from within can risk their lives if they just go along with demands that they Integrate. I would not wish that on anyone. CDCR knows this; they knew it when this policy was implemented. While touting all their "successes" with this policy, they take no responsibility for the double bind situation that many inmates were thrown into. They do not care about the safety of our loved ones. I think they should return to making Integration voluntary, rather than threatening and punishing those who do not want to Integrate.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:20 PM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,295 Times in 15,623 Posts

Halo
***part of why he doesnít want to go is that the guards told him that guys get raped all the time on those yards***

My hub spent almost 5 yrs (maybe more I cant remember now) on an SNY yard.
He told me he never saw anything like that, he was never *raped* nor participated in any consensual sex.
So guessing whomever is telling him that is full of crap.
Does it happen? probably. But not like he's being told or says he's being told.

We need to get thread back to the main topic
(which is NOT about rape, putting bodily fluids in food, or which group is *worse* than the other)

the rest:

imho, its about mixing two yards that for many many years have been separate.
Its about cdcr failing to stop gangs from either of the groups from pulling the crap they do, even in one where they were supposed to be *safe* from it.
So lets all STOP with the garbage and either report what you are hearing from your loved ones to the PLO, CDCr and reject the name calling, fear mongering, and downright.........the old my crime is not as bad as yours and either take your medicine and the 115 for not programing, and leave those alone who chose to.
Im sorry, Im just pissed off at the whole thing.

stop the bickering.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (09-08-2019), Halo527 (09-08-2019), keywii (09-07-2019), miamac (09-07-2019), missingdee (09-11-2019), patchouli (09-07-2019), sanchezsela80 (09-24-2019), Sarianna (09-08-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 08:45 PM

I'm new here, but I do have some thoughts about this. I have been following this issue for some time now. My husband had been told that he would have to transfer to a level 1 yard because his points dropped to 0 (from 175) He's been in a long long time, with a long history of clean time, solid programming, in a computer class, going to parole hearings, we had just gotten married and were looking forward to a family visit in 5 days. He considers himself gp, but he has no history of gang affiliation - going by his CRA reports and his C File, which I have had access to. No problems with housing, etc. When they presented him with the chrono regarding the NDPF yards, he told them he didn't agree with the policy; he didn't sign anything, but he did agree to the transfer since it was the only level 1 yard available. It had been a quiet yard with no active politics going on there to speak of. Within 2 months they began integration. The lead up to it got to be very tense with lots of yard preparation, training, and speeches by the warden. Right away incidents began occurring one after the other, in the dorms and on the yard. On the third day when my husband came out to call me, which he always did, they had just come off lockdown and an incident broke out by the phones. He was on the phone with me when it happened. I heard it kick off in the background. That day, 27 gps got taken to the hole, where several yet remain after 9 months, waiting for classification to determine what happens to them next. Twenty of them were found guilty of SBI on 2 inmates. A handful were actually involved. So, as a juvenile lifer, my husband lost everything. He's devastated.

I have questions. If they anticipated violence, why would they release the guys all at once after a lockdown, knowing full-well they would be running and competing for the phones? Why was there no video available that would have exonerated my husband, among others? Why would they not agree to a polygraph test? Even after providing the phone record, evidence from pictures, and an intelligent argument, they insisted he was guilty. He was in the area, and the only officer out of 10 who say they saw the whole thing, says he saw him attack someone, when the description provided makes it virtually impossible to have happened the way he described it. This same officer says he sprayed him in his face when nothing in the incident report shows evidence of him having been sprayed. Strangely, no dye was in the spray to show who had been sprayed.

Honestly, I don't think it matters if you're gang affiliated or if you're blue or a martian, if you sign the paper or don't sign. If you get in the way of the plan, you will not be spared, with all your good programming or even if you're just defending yourself. That has been shown to be true many times over. Ralph Diaz said, "oh no, this is not what we ever wanted to see happen," but I notice he didn't stop it from causing harm to those people's lives either. There is no concern for ruined lives or good behavior or positive programming. Nowhere is safe anymore for anyone, except the hole, where no one can sleep or even think, it's so loud. This integration is a true CDC horror story that needs to be stopped. By the way, many officers hate it too.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ElizaLee For This Useful Post:
Halo527 (09-12-2019), JessesGirl2022 (09-10-2019), keywii (09-11-2019), marie8899 (09-10-2019), miamac (09-10-2019), Sarianna (09-14-2019), sidewalker (09-11-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 09:40 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,811 Times in 8,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaLee View Post
I'm new here, but I do have some thoughts about this. I have been following this issue for some time now. My husband had been told that he would have to transfer to a level 1 yard because his points dropped to 0 (from 175) He's been in a long long time, with a long history of clean time, solid programming, in a computer class, going to parole hearings, we had just gotten married and were looking forward to a family visit in 5 days.
That's an awesome achievement. My husband also started with high points and just achieved Level 3 after 17 years. It's something to be proud of.

Quote:
He considers himself gp, but he has no history of gang affiliation - going by his CRA reports and his C File, which I have had access to. No problems with housing, etc. When they presented him with the chrono regarding the NDPF yards, he told them he didn't agree with the policy; he didn't sign anything, but he did agree to the transfer since it was the only level 1 yard available. It had been a quiet yard with no active politics going on there to speak of. Within 2 months they began integration. The lead up to it got to be very tense with lots of yard preparation, training, and speeches by the warden. Right away incidents began occurring one after the other, in the dorms and on the yard. On the third day when my husband came out to call me, which he always did, they had just come off lockdown and an incident broke out by the phones. He was on the phone with me when it happened. I heard it kick off in the background.
That's a scary experience. I've been there, too.

Quote:
That day, 27 gps got taken to the hole, where several yet remain after 9 months, waiting for classification to determine what happens to them next. Twenty of them were found guilty of SBI on 2 inmates. A handful were actually involved. So, as a juvenile lifer, my husband lost everything. He's devastated.
That's devastating, for sure. Do you know how many SNY folks were charged, as well? I don't think CDC had a far-reaching plan to deal with the number of folks they would need to reclassify, hence the long wait. I believe they knew there would be some, but with no way of predicting how many and with ruling out NDPF, it leaves them a little short on housing.

Quote:
I have questions. If they anticipated violence, why would they release the guys all at once after a lockdown, knowing full-well they would be running and competing for the phones?
I can't answer specifically because I guess that would be up to the facility in question, but I know some yards did an alternating release schedule initially and then let small numbers of both out at the same time. Then they went full open yard.

Quote:
Why was there no video available that would have exonerated my husband, among others? Why would they not agree to a polygraph test?
I know different facilities have their phones in different places and I'm not familiar with Level 1s. Do they have their phones inside something like a day room or are they located throughout the facility? Who declined a polygraph? Are you saying the inmates were denied a polygraph or that staff refused. Just clarifying.

Quote:
Even after providing the phone record, evidence from pictures, and an intelligent argument, they insisted he was guilty. He was in the area, and the only officer out of 10 who say they saw the whole thing, says he saw him attack someone, when the description provided makes it virtually impossible to have happened the way he described it. This same officer says he sprayed him in his face when nothing in the incident report shows evidence of him having been sprayed. Strangely, no dye was in the spray to show who had been sprayed.
I wasn't aware there was dye in pepper spray. Interesting. The photos...were they taken after the incident by staff?

Quote:
Honestly, I don't think it matters if you're gang affiliated or if you're blue or a martian, if you sign the paper or don't sign. If you get in the way of the plan, you will not be spared, with all your good programming or even if you're just defending yourself. That has been shown to be true many times over.
I agree with this. I fully believe that anyone they can tag with a discipline, they will. 1000%.

Quote:
Ralph Diaz said, "oh no, this is not what we ever wanted to see happen," but I notice he didn't stop it from causing harm to those people's lives either. There is no concern for ruined lives or good behavior or positive programming. Nowhere is safe anymore for anyone, except the hole, where no one can sleep or even think, it's so loud. This integration is a true CDC horror story that needs to be stopped. By the way, many officers hate it too.
I think part of why he doesn't stop it is because (again, minus covert motives) he has to support his statement that this is a test of a person's ability to function in the real world. If he folds to that, it's no good for him. I know there are officers who have tried to fight it as hard as the inmates have. Obviously no one wants to spend the day writing incident reports or risking their safety when they can work a 'normal' yard and have 99% boring days.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (09-11-2019), Halo527 (09-12-2019), Sarianna (09-14-2019), sidewalker (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 07:22 AM

Donation Award 

ElizaLee
I am so sorry. I hope you can appeal this or something. (not that it would likely do any good, but its worth a try)
I'd also report this to PLO (the link is someplace in this thread)
Its a damn shame. All of it.

(I too thought pepper spray had a dye in it. I know when I sprayed dogs, former letter carrier, it was orange looking.)

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
miamac (09-11-2019), Sarianna (09-14-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 07:52 AM

There were half a dozen or so snys that were picked up and 2 mac reps. All were sent back to the dorms but 2 who were taken to ad seg, then later released. The polygraph was something he asked for for himself and the officer. It is in the Title 115, but apparently, they don't allow it. The pictures were from cameras posted on the yards I believe. They showed the whole scene. and the placement of where everybody was. It didn't capture movement though. and the color photographs he was only allowed to see, not to use at the hearing. That was nine months ago, we're onto the next phase now, and he's worried about what lies ahead - for everybody.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ElizaLee For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (09-11-2019), Halo527 (09-12-2019), marie8899 (09-11-2019), miamac (09-11-2019), sidewalker (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 08:19 AM

Donation Award 

Thanks for clarifying more. (especially when this happened)
So what happened with him? Is he still in the hole? Did he go back to that yard or another one? (you dont have to answer, Im just curious)
And I would STILL try something with PLO. Im not sure if they are still asking for info from inmates or not.

He's right to be worried. Again, Im sorry this happened.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
miamac (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 11:07 AM
Site Moderator

Quote:
There were half a dozen or so snys that were picked up and 2 mac reps. All were sent back to the dorms but 2 who were taken to ad seg, then later released. The polygraph was something he asked for for himself and the officer. It is in the Title 115, but apparently, they don't allow it. The pictures were from cameras posted on the yards I believe. They showed the whole scene. and the placement of where everybody was. It didn't capture movement though. and the color photographs he was only allowed to see, not to use at the hearing. That was nine months ago, we're onto the next phase now, and he's worried about what lies ahead - for everybody.
Nine months is a tortuously long time to decide a rather simple process (not calling the circumstance simple, but rather their options are limited so why drag it out, though I know the answer there, too. ugh) I wonder why he wasn't able to use the pics during the hearing? Does he have an inmate legal rep? I don't even know if they do that in CDC-- it's a process where another inmate familiar with hearings is permitted to "represent" the accused during a hearing. I know unless there are outside charges, no legal counsel is permitted. That's a brilliant scheme, isn't it? You have to go to court with a biased 'judge' and you aren't allowed counsel. Totally fair. :/
I know it probably feels fruitless right now, but I would encourage you to report this to PLO or frankly whomever will listen. That's what they need are first-hand accounts to be able to address the issues with CDC. Please keep us updated and thank you for sharing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Halo527 (09-12-2019), sidewalker (09-24-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 12:39 PM

Thanked 1,542 Times in 637 Posts

If it's been 9 months for some of these guys I'm thinking outside charges were referred. CDCR will not do anything on the RVR's until courts adjudicate which could take years never mind months. Who knows. After that CDCR will do their internal hearing.

It sounds like 20 or so have already had their hearings. Including your husband. So sorry to hear that after he did so much over the years to get down to level 1. Especially given he was caught in the crossfire of what was clearly a big incident.

I agree with blaming CDCR. Also blame the imbeciles who started this. They and CDCR are guilty of putting your husband of a position of losing so much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
Halo527 (09-12-2019), sidewalker (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 01:04 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
If it's been 9 months for some of these guys I'm thinking outside charges were referred. CDCR will not do anything on the RVR's until courts adjudicate which could take years never mind months. Who knows. After that CDCR will do their internal hearing.
So the GBI charges will be heard in an outside court? That means they can retain counsel, correct?
gvalliant (09-11-2019), sidewalker (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 05:01 PM

No, the DA rejected the case so it went back to CDCR. They would have been fools to pick this one up. oh, the PLO knows all about this. I have pestered everyone to death I can think of! Inside and everywhere else too. His counselor told him to tell me to "quit blowing up the phones!" ha. AND she also told him to "man up and tell your wife what you did." Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? One of the investigating lieutenants also told him "give us names or your fucked." How do you like that for solid investigative work? Guess its solid for CDC standards. The PLO did provide us with some good materials on filing 602s, and writs for later, as well as other information. He has their legal handbook. There are some of the opinion that where he is is one of the more corrupt facilities. Not knowing what to compare it to, I can believe it, given how they've handled this whole thing. Not an ounce of honesty have I seen during this whole ordeal. And yes, he did get an IE. Two of em', ha, however, not all that helpful. Thank you all for your thoughtful questions, responses, and kind words. We will survive! It gets tough, tho, don't it?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ElizaLee For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (09-11-2019), Halo527 (09-12-2019), miamac (09-11-2019), missingdee (09-12-2019), sidewalker (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 05:05 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
No, the DA rejected the case so it went back to CDCR. They would have been fools to pick this one up. oh, the PLO knows all about this. I have pestered everyone to death I can think of! Inside and everywhere else too. His counselor told him to tell me to "quit blowing up the phones!" ha. AND she also told him to "man up and tell your wife what you did." Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? One of the investigating lieutenants also told him "give us names or your fucked." How do you like that for solid investigative work? Guess its solid for CDC standards. The PLO did provide us with some good materials on filing 602s, and writs for later, as well as other information. He has their legal handbook. There are some of the opinion that where he is is one of the more corrupt facilities. Not knowing what to compare it to, I can believe it, given how they've handled this whole thing. Not an ounce of honesty have I seen during this whole ordeal. And yes, he did get an IE. Two of em', ha, however, not all that helpful. Thank you all for your thoughtful questions, responses, and kind words. We will survive! It gets tough, tho, don't it?
Well for as crummy a situation as it is, it does sound like you're getting the most bang for your phone time. Lol That's good. In cases like this I think it's smart for them to know the inmate has outside eyes and ears and they can't just disappear folks into the SHU indefinitely. It's also good that the DA kicked it back. Helps to set a precedent that they're not going to waste tax dollars on CDCs bad decision making.

Please keep us updated.
missingdee (09-12-2019), sidewalker (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 08:22 PM

Thanked 1,542 Times in 637 Posts

Quote:
No, the DA rejected the case so it went back to CDCR. They would have been fools to pick this one up.
Wasn't referring to your husband. You mentioned others who remain in the hole and in limbo. Some of those cases are likely out.

Yes they will have a lawyer on outside charges. When outside cases are done, CDCR will then have hearings for any of those guys they are waiting on. Doesn't matter much what happens outside. CDCR will almost always find guilty whether the courts find guilty, innocent, accept a plea or like your husband don't even take up the charge.

CDCR administrative law is worse than criminal law in the courts. Innocent until proven guilty. Maybe, but they find guilty on far less proof than courts would find guilty. Unfortunately.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:12 PM

Donation Award 

OH just grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Today Im just not happy and GOOD FOR YOU for blowing up the phones. Screw them.

I just cant even today.
once again, Im so sorry. This is wrong. Its all wrong.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Halo527 (09-12-2019), Sarianna (09-14-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 11:26 AM

Yeah, my husband got caught up in the CCC riots. What a mess. He got sent to California City Correctional Facility and is in SHU until April and then got a year added to his sentence. He was supposed to get out last month and has been in for two years, now he wonít be released until 4/2021. Iím freaking heart broken, weíve been through so much during this lock up. So I got his account of what happened at the CCC, and itís not good. Donít know if weíre going to make it through this. Wish better experiences for everyone else out there going through this grand integration....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrsStoddard For This Useful Post:
guardnangel (09-18-2019), marie8899 (09-19-2019), sidewalker (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 02:30 PM

I'm sorry to hear this. This has happened to many of us (including my son, who had no writeups during his whole time in prison until the day his unit was Integrated and he was attacked). It is horrible and a part of CDCR recent practices that provoke violence, writeups, referrals to Ad Seg and extended sentences. I don't even know if it is technically legal to send guys to Ad Seg for so much time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsStoddard View Post
Yeah, my husband got caught up in the CCC riots. What a mess. He got sent to California City Correctional Facility and is in SHU until April and then got a year added to his sentence. He was supposed to get out last month and has been in for two years, now he wonít be released until 4/2021. Iím freaking heart broken, weíve been through so much during this lock up. So I got his account of what happened at the CCC, and itís not good. Donít know if weíre going to make it through this. Wish better experiences for everyone else out there going through this grand integration....
The Following User Says Thank You to marie8899 For This Useful Post:
MrsStoddard (10-15-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 03:52 PM

I am very sorry, Mrs. Stoddard, for the situation your husband got caught in. At least at CA City, it doesn't look like he'll be dealing with integration. I am curious if he chose to sign or not sign. (If you feel like you can answer that.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ElizaLee For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (09-19-2019), MrsStoddard (10-15-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 08:53 PM
Donation Award 

Default yard in HDSP

My man is in HDSP and told me today that a yard in B block (not B1) was integrated and immediately had to be locked down for fighting. Fighting happens all the time up there anyway, but another example of another CDCr bad idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to stupidcool For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (09-27-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 03:06 AM

I donít know, I havenít heard from him in a month.
Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM
Embrace Your Wild ⭐️
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,798 Times in 2,082 Posts

Haven't posted in a while, hope everyone's good. My LO is still at CCC and B yard... He says a lot of people were moved away and it has been somewhat calmer after that. I'm hoping things will remain more peaceful and maybe this yard has gone through its most difficult phase now...fingers crossed!

The Following User Says Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
miamac (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarianna View Post
Haven't posted in a while, hope everyone's good. My LO is still at CCC and B yard... He says a lot of people were moved away and it has been somewhat calmer after that. I'm hoping things will remain more peaceful and maybe this yard has gone through its most difficult phase now...fingers crossed!
Very glad to hear this, Sari. And from you! (we miss ya, girl!!)
Can anyone update on NEW transfers to a 50/50 yard? You may recall that the last we heard they were halting new transfers. Has anyone experienced differently?