Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 04-02-2020, 07:21 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,974 Times in 1,048 Posts
Default Covid-19 in U.S. Jails a Public Health Disaster Unfolding Before Our Eyes

A third prisoner has died of COVID-19 at the Oakdale federal prison in Louisiana. There are confirmed cases in prisons or ICE jails in Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Texas, Arkansas, Pennsylvania, California, Nevada, Colorado, Minnesota, Ohio, Kentucky, Maryland, Vermont, New Jersey, and in Illinois, where a 59-year-old prisoner died of COVID-19 at the Stateville prison near Joliet. In Detroit, a Michigan Department of Corrections officer died of COVID-19 on Tuesday, and more than 140 prisoners have tested positive.

https://www.democracynow.org/2020/4/...scqYwUPFa1xSSI
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Imani For This Useful Post:
donazerozero (04-15-2020), GaReform (04-04-2020), sidewalker (04-03-2020), WaitingWilkes (04-03-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2020, 06:57 AM

This is getting out of hand. How are they going to stop other prisoners from catching CoVid19. Something has to be done about this before it start wiping the inmate population out. I know that the people over the prisons might night care! But I care about everyone life and this is ashame that they dont even have a plan. I did read federal inmates will be locked in there cell for 2 weels.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lifetime30 For This Useful Post:
joybubby (04-14-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 08:17 AM

There are many more since they are not really testing them all. I pray every day on this.
The Following User Says Thank You to studebaker71 For This Useful Post:
carm2405 (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 09:42 AM

This forum is the only place where I can find people who think like me. I am very concerned about the inmates... it makes me really very sad to think of it getting worse and worse, and too pray every day for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to carm2405 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 03:25 AM

This is now affecting my hubby .and hes in ely max and has 38 days til he comes home and they won't just let him come home were hell be safe .. I dont understand how they c n get away with inhumane treatment of human beings .. Yeah they broke the law but that doesnt mean prison have to treat them like animals.. My hubby is so stressed .. Let my hubby free and all non violent inmates go home .. Someone's got to be able to do something.. Especially because ive been having health concerns that I am afraid to get. A follow up because of this crazyness .it sucks ..
The Following User Says Thank You to Wonderwomendail For This Useful Post:
joybubby (04-14-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwomendail View Post
This is now affecting my hubby .and hes in ely max and has 38 days til he comes home and they won't just let him come home were hell be safe .. I dont understand how they c n get away with inhumane treatment of human beings .. Yeah they broke the law but that doesnt mean prison have to treat them like animals.. My hubby is so stressed .. Let my hubby free and all non violent inmates go home .. Someone's got to be able to do something.. Especially because ive been having health concerns that I am afraid to get. A follow up because of this crazyness .it sucks ..
Because it's NV and they're a$$holes
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacob's Girl For This Useful Post:
Born (04-07-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 01:00 PM

Thanked 2,236 Times in 881 Posts

CNN did a segment this morning in Smerconish's show about the problem in prisons/jails. He had an epidemiologist from Columbia University on talking about the problem. I know that in Georgia the Justice Reform Partnership sent out 500 letters to different officials asking for them to adopt their recommendations for help with this. Here is a link to the letter that includes some very good action items. https://justiceday365.com/
There is no sane reason why someone that is 38 days from release can't be released early in this crisis. I wish you would contact the news media to share your situation. Even if you don't use names it will still be impactful. Post it on the news media social media.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
Born (04-07-2020), fbopnomore (04-04-2020), Jacob's Girl (04-04-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 07:04 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,511 Times in 16,264 Posts

One of the eight buildings on Rikers Island, the Eric M. Taylor Center, is now being used as a quarantine unit for 180 people who have coronavirus symptoms and those who have tested positive for the disease. The EMTC was shut down in early March as part of a plan to eventually close all the jails on Rikers Island, but reopened three weeks later to help stave off the outbreak, since the only building with a medical unit to treat contagious diseases is completely overwhelmed.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/insid...b6cc1e47768416

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Jacob's Girl (04-05-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 09:13 PM
Donation Award 

They should not just let out those who have a home to go to and even if it's with an ankle bracelet on it will be safer then staying in a State Prison. The Prisoners that have 6 months to go or are in Jail on a Second Degree Crime. This is going to be a bad and scary situation to all not just the prisoners but to their families who are afraid what is going to happen to them behind bars. I am also worried about the CO's the list keeps going higher and higher in the amount that have the virus. This is World Crises. Something has to be done.
The Following User Says Thank You to JHarr For This Useful Post:
joybubby (04-14-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 04:14 AM

Since my last post theyve been on and off lock down only getting 10 to 1 hr out of cells if their lucky. And xalling up their its always the same stupid excuse the social workers say well sue to the situation out their we have been locked down more frequently.. Like its a joke or something. . I wonder if I could sue for them taking advantage of the co vid 19 .. For an excuse to keep inmates locked down.?? I swear id be devistated if anything happens to my husband this corrupt system already took 3 yrs of our lives when will it ever be enough foe them ??
Old 04-11-2020, 10:44 AM

Default Covid concerns

The Fluvanna Correctional Center has placed the inmates on lockdown, due to several of them having contracted this illness. My niece says they are allowed out every 72 hours to shower. My main concern is this: if civilian medical centers are struggling to get ventilators and such, what about the prisons?
Old 04-11-2020, 11:05 AM

You can bet medical treatment for prisoners is minimal at best. They will not get the care they need, and certainly not what they deserve. My man was just told they are no longer allowed to wear masks, and the CO's are no longer required to wear them. There are no known cases in his prison as yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacob's Girl For This Useful Post:
YOGA62 (04-11-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 12:01 PM

Thanked 2,236 Times in 881 Posts

I have been told that CoreCivic who runs the private prisons is making people sign a release before they give out masks. The release is one that releases them from responsibility. Seriously?? Holding incarcerated people or employees hostage by forcing them to chose between signing away their rights or not getting a mask? There's been no publicity on this but a reliable source of mine has a copy of the release form.
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
YOGA62 (04-11-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 12:15 PM

Default No masks allowed?

Why would they not be allowed to wear masks? Ridiculous! What reason were they given? Unbelievable!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob's Girl View Post
You can bet medical treatment for prisoners is minimal at best. They will not get the care they need, and certainly not what they deserve. My man was just told they are no longer allowed to wear masks, and the CO's are no longer required to wear them. There are no known cases in his prison as yet.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:17 PM

Default Core civic

CORE CIVIC is not even posting the number across the nation of positive cases or deaths or staff/inmate numbers. Very concerned. The one website states they recommend masks for staff and all those in their care! Read that today. Signing a release? What a CROCK! SO WRONG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaReform View Post
I have been told that CoreCivic who runs the private prisons is making people sign a release before they give out masks. The release is one that releases them from responsibility. Seriously?? Holding incarcerated people or employees hostage by forcing them to chose between signing away their rights or not getting a mask? There's been no publicity on this but a reliable source of mine has a copy of the release form.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGA62 View Post
Why would they not be allowed to wear masks? Ridiculous! What reason were they given? Unbelievable!!
Couldn't tell you. I would love to know their motives for a lot of things.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:49 PM

Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,416 Posts

More than likely masks would be seen as a safety issue and in many prison warehouses, health care is seen as secondary and incidental.

"
There is no question that in virtually all circumstances in which people are doing things in order to get rewards, extrinsic tangible rewards undermine intrinsic motivation." the New Scientist (12th April 2011, pp 40-43)

" Every life you touch, every fear or pain you ease, every loved ones' heart that you ease the burden from is the reason you are here."
Old 04-14-2020, 03:02 PM

My man whole camp was given masks yesterday.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lifetime30 For This Useful Post:
joybubby (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 03:04 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,352 Times in 2,212 Posts

You probably have this link already, it's updated daily and w/o trying to be political - just observing from afar and being from a different country - Trump and his (insert expletive here) way of handling it (a.k.a. "politics") is getting you all killed... There is only way one to do it and it's not his.
Sorry, not trying to get a discussion started here, everybody can do and think and vote whatever/whomever they want, but in crisis the real character usually shows...
Please stay healthy & safe everyone!
Old 04-15-2020, 06:34 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,511 Times in 16,264 Posts

Just as a tiny bit of perspective...when we had those huge fires in my county in 2017 and 18.........my workplace made us sign a paper saying we took a mask. (not a prison work site.....)
We worked outside for most of our shift. (postal carrier)

Old 04-15-2020, 05:22 PM

My son called yesterday and was finally given a mask when he asked. There is a new DEPT OF JUSTICE Inspector General website where people can submit complaints on the COVID reponse. I am posting it here.

https://oig.justice.gov/coronavirus/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YOGA62 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-16-2020), Jacob's Girl (04-17-2020), Lifetime30 (04-15-2020)