Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Morgantown FCI
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Morgantown FCI Topics and discussion specific to FCI Morgantown in Morgantown, West Virginia.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:48 PM

Default Kennedy Youth Center, Morgantown

I was incarcerated in Morgantown (Kennedy Youth Center) from 1972-1975, at as time when it was co-ed. I attended WVU, and worked at Lakeview Inn and Country Club, at Cheat Lake. I met alot of good people during this time, never remember an escape or a fight, remember Ted Kennedy visiting, the freedom to mingle with the female 'residents', the indoor swimming pool, theatre, gymnasium. It has been 35 years since my release, have kept communication with alot of friends I have had the opportunity to meet (all of which who are responsible, successful, and happy), and, in a strange way, miss the hot summer nights sitting around the pond, and talking of the future.....
The Following User Says Thank You to rudy823-103 For This Useful Post:
Lmgennari (10-25-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2010, 07:11 PM

Default I was incarcerated at Kennedy Youth Center 72-75, now FCI Morgantown

Hi,
I was incarcerated at the Kennedy Youth Center when it was co-ed. They had two cottages for women. I was 14...the youngest female inmate at that time to be sentenced to an adult prison...in spite of it's name.

Looking back it was a real cool place to do time. We called it a Skinner Box back then because the prison was modeled after B.F. Skinner, a behavioral physiologist: Behavior Modification was their motto. After a 6 months a prisoner could work their way out of general population, into a 2-person cell/room, in a years time one could work their way into a private room with their own key...I was all over that. Outside my cell window was a private pasture where a half of dozen horses roamed. They had no fence around the compound, we were allowed to walk/jog the parameter without supervision. They had all kinds of facilities, an Olympic size pool, basketball court, etc., a photo shop w/dark room, NRC..National Cash Register Course...before scanners. A beauty shop were one could learn to do hair. I learned how to drive while I was there, they provided Driver's Ed. They had a "coffee house" were male and female prisoners were allowed to mingle one night a week. We were allowed to mingle throughout the day as well...I remember sitting by the edge of a brook, that ran through the compound, with male prisoners, just hanging out, sometimes waking in the water.
After completing the course work for my G.E.D. I was allowed to take courses at WVU. Being there helped me to slow down and grow in a safe environment. I met a lot of educated inmates, political prisons, who turned me on to books, music and art.
Anyone else out there remember The Kennedy Youth Center?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy823-103 View Post
I was incarcerated in Morgantown (Kennedy Youth Center) from 1972-1975, at as time when it was co-ed. I attended WVU, and worked at Lakeview Inn and Country Club, at Cheat Lake. I met alot of good people during this time, never remember an escape or a fight, remember Ted Kennedy visiting, the freedom to mingle with the female 'residents', the indoor swimming pool, theatre, gymnasium. It has been 35 years since my release, have kept communication with alot of friends I have had the opportunity to meet (all of which who are responsible, successful, and happy), and, in a strange way, miss the hot summer nights sitting around the pond, and talking of the future.....
I was there...cottage A
Old 11-11-2010, 04:25 PM

I was there from October 1969 - April 1970 - number 222. Place wasn't co-ed at the time. Pretty decent vibe for a prison. Ran into a snag though, and never returned from my first furlough, due to a death threat - never looked back.

Last edited by exdc; 11-11-2010 at 04:30 PM..
Old 03-04-2011, 09:11 PM

Default ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdc View Post
I was there from October 1969 - April 1970 - number 222. Place wasn't co-ed at the time. Pretty decent vibe for a prison. Ran into a snag though, and never returned from my first furlough, due to a death threat - never looked back.

I have a memory like a computer. I think I remember you re-visiting the center in 1974 and talking about this at the chapel
Old 12-28-2014, 06:12 PM

Default KYC former resident

From Philly and was at KYC from 72-76 and would like to hear from someone who was there then.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:21 PM

I love hearing these stories. I've lived in Morgantown for 30+ years and we locals still call it the Kennedy Center. I live less than a mile from it.
Now my son has to self surrender March 2 and I prayed every single day since his indictment that the BOP would place him there because I could literally walk to it. But no they're sending him 4 hours away...
It's always been a nice facility and I appreciate hearing good things about it. Thank all of you for sharing.
Amen.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:00 PM

? In
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules966 View Post
I love hearing these stories. I've lived in Morgantown for 30+ years and we locals still call it the Kennedy Center. I live less than a mile from it.
Now my son has to self surrender March 2 and I prayed every single day since his indictment that the BOP would place him there because I could literally walk to it. But no they're sending him 4 hours away...
It's always been a nice facility and I appreciate hearing good things about it. Thank all of you for sharing.
My experience at KYC was positive. I learned to cut hair there under the supervision of Mr. Boyard. I also received my GED there. Had I not been sent to KYC I would have never went to college and eventually secure employment that would help me change my life.

Last edited by howmil; 01-04-2015 at 04:04 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to howmil For This Useful Post:
Jules966 (01-08-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 04:12 PM

It has been 43 yrs since I was at KYC but I think about the place and people all the time. Would really be interested in hearing from someone who was there during the 70s. I met some really good people there who I'd like to hear from again to see how they are doing.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:11 PM

I was there also....met a girl.....had a baby....1st of a few......I understand....
Old 01-02-2017, 06:19 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,956 Times in 11,667 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk and to the federal forums.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:12 AM

Default Morgantown

I was incarcerated in Morgantown June 1976-1978. I never finished high school but some how I was allowed to attend WVU. When I was paroled I had two years of college credits. Several years after parole I received an MBA form George Washington.(Never did get that G.E.D) I would not say I was rehabilitated I just grew up.
I do recall to correction officers Buddy Carrol always in a leisure suit and Eugene Dunbar.
The Following User Says Thank You to sn4mt For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (08-14-2018)