Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, work release and community service in the State of Arizona.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:48 PM

Default Does He Have a Detainer or Not? Dilemma!

Here is the situation: my man is currently in ADC. He was sentenced to 9 months on 3 diff cases to run concurrently. On his sentence day, I asked his Pub defender about a different case that my man had got arrested for the previous month that was not on the docket that sentencing day. He (pub defender) told me that those charges would more than likely not be brought up until after his release.. I said the last thing either of us wanted was a page 2.. He again assured me that prob wouldn't happen but if it did by all means contact him. Well here we were 30 days until release and I get a visit from the constable who has a summons for Los . He was indicted on the aforementioned charges. I informed the constable that Los is in prison ( how is it she did NOT know He was currently locked up?) She then gave me a case number, and said his court date us set for 22Jun2020. He is scheduled for release from DOC on 26May2020. Ok.. So I look up the case on Arizona's public access and could not find that case listed (I looked for it on 26April20, the same day the constable came to my house) the following day I looked again, found the case info and saw that he had been grand jury indicted on 23Apr a felony 4, felony 6, and a DUI and that a warrant had been issued for him that very day, 27April. I am really confused... #1. Why did they come to our house to serve him a summons. When he is already locked up ? #2 Why did they issue a warrant 4 days after the grand jury indictment, and 1 day after the constable showed up at my house?
#3 Why is there a warrant when his FIRST scheduled court date is Jun 22?
I cannot seem to get any info about what the heck is going on. I called the public defender who represented him on his sentencing day and tried to get some answers. Of course he did a backstroke from wht he told me back in Dec and pretty much told me it is what it is and deal with it. I contacted his parole officer who had no knowledge of any of it. She checked it out and told me that he does not have any detainers. ??? And to date there is nothing on the doc website showing a hold on him. Ok.. I am totally confused as to what the hell is going on... What does any if this mean? I cannot figure it out. I informed the Constable trying to serve him a summons that he was in DOC, Then county ( Sheriff dept)(4 deep) shows up at my door yesterday (2May) looking for my man to arrest him for this warrant! The same Sheriff(s) who picked him up 6 months ago n took him to await sentencing. They wanted to look inside my house to check if he was hiding out. Really? Y'all already know full well he's not hiding out HES IN PRISON. They were not granted permission to come inside. What are these cops doing and why? What have I missed?
The Following User Says Thank You to Imstacy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-04-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2020, 12:34 AM

It sounds to me that they're just adding more charges so that when he comes out he'll end up going right back in with a longer sentence. IMO they should have already known that he's in prison as his name would come up on their system showing that he's already locked up. I just believe it a game of ignorance that they are playing at. Please note that this is just my opinion from reading your post.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:01 AM

Thank you.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:46 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,841 Times in 13,684 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk.The officers who keep coming around are uninformed, or they are harassing you. Once you notified them that he is already locked up, that should have ended the problem when they confirmed what you told them. I wouldn't have allowed them to search my house either.

In America warrants are as plentiful as fleas on a dog. There are more than 1.6 million outstanding warrants in New York City alone, and they never expire.

If he is released prior to his first scheduled court hearing, he needs to appear for it. If he is still locked up, he needs to write to the assigned judge, keeping a copy for himself, explaining that he is a prisoner. If the jail/prison is advised of the hearing, they may, or may not transport him there, but if he misses a hearing, another warrant will be issued.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:31 PM

From the crazy journey I've experienced with my man, NO ONE does research. EVER. They sign dates and issue papers without any knowledge about what is currently happening. At one point my man was in one county jail when he was given a court appearance in another county. I called to explain he could not make it because hes in county. I had to get a paper signed by the judge at his sentencing proving were my man was so he did not get anything put on him for missing the court date (he was also out on bail at the time). It was a headache and a half. ALSO I met with his public defender before his hearing and was absolutely shocked that she did not know half the info I did. (reason why he didnt show up to that county as well because he was in prison at the time and even got those warrants quashed but somehow they came back up so i brought all his paper work proving it) Shes like "ohhhh ok thats good to know" and took notes down???? So because of me telling her everything they let him go like the next day. That public defender didnt do a damn thing.
Annnnd when asking about detainers they could possibly only be looking in one county. I dont know why they would do that but I ran into the same issue to were the bonds people said there was nothing on him but then I found one in a different county.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:33 AM
here

Before he was sentenced, my LO received a jury summons, for the same date as his trail. We emailed hem and said he can't be in two places at once, and since he kind of has to be at his trial, can he be excused from duty. He was denied.
A year or so after he was sentenced, he was summoned to jury duty, by the very same court that sentenced him.

Don't ever expect that the court system knows wtf is going on.