Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Member Introductions & Bull in Session Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Member Introductions & Bull in Session Lounge Introductions forum for California members and a place to discuss non-prison related topics with other people in the State.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:00 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,322 Times in 16,160 Posts
Default Good article on grandparents raising grandchildren/sip

Thought this might be a good read for those raising grandchildren
in the time of a pandemic/school closures/sheltering in place

When Angela Smidt gets tired there is nowhere to go. She has no sure refuge, so sometimes she just stays awake into the night and soaks in the quiet.
Smidt, 67, lives in a one-bedroom, second-floor apartment in Rohnert Park. Her place is near a creek and it has a small porch. In that space, Smidt, an independent consultant who largely focuses on teaching retirees the basics of computers, raises her two grandchildren, a boy, who turned 11 on Wednesday and a girl who turned 9 the day before.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/1...n-face?sba=AAS

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
trauma4us (04-26-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2020, 05:57 AM

This was a very good article and I can so relate to it. I've always at one time or another had grandchildren that I was helping to raise even during those times I was out of prison. One daughter felt that since I was home I could take over raising the kids while she ran a muk. In her mind it would keep me from going back to drugs but eventually I'd be back into it. In our sick minds as long as one of us was with them it was ok until I would go back in again. Finally, I got out just lost my husband while I was in, I found a job, got an apt when and got 3 of the kids told my daughter this was it and the kids are staying with me period. If she wanted to clean up she could live with us but no drugs, no drinking, no nothing. The first time I saw her come in looking like that she could go. But the kids had been through too much. She came home everything changed for both of us. I went back to school she got a job. That was 15 years ago. Then one of my younger daughter's needed mom to help with her 5 kids she was getting divorced and it started all over again. For 2 years I raised these kids and it was much harder this time. She worked in a bar but we rarely saw her and I was the only stabilization these kids had. But they gave me hell because they were mad at both parents. I can say his parents helped me alot they'd take them on the weekends to give me a break. Finally I said no more it's time for her to come back home and raise your kids, I'm moving out to need you. Before this all started with the covid 19 I'd take the kids to school and pick them up that was it. Unless someone was sick then I'd take them to Dr for her and things like that. She is back in school but also works for the county social services now. I can't see the kids and miss them right now. The thing is at some point my in time I've helped to raise one my daughter's kids. And it can take it's toll on you. I use to be known by the grandkids as the "mean grandma" cause no one got away with anything. It's joke and we all laugh about it now, some kids have grown up have lil ones of their own. I've retired from work and live my life on my terms and God's.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:46 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,322 Times in 16,160 Posts

I only wish I could see my grandson more. His mom and my son are not together (never married) and Im so greatful that she lets me see him. We try to see him as often as we can, but it seems the *normal* is about once a month or so.
Since this covid crap, its been a long while.
Look forward to when we can visit again. I miss his little face and watching him run around. I figure we will also miss his 4th birthday too.

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Francis213 (04-28-2020)