Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in California should be posted here.

Old 04-02-2020, 01:51 PM

Default Looking for info on parole / ankle monitoring for a sex offender

In California

When my brother is released from prison on a sex offender case, is he required to wear an ankle monitor for life?

My brothers conviction was for intent of child molestation, not the actual act. Hes served 4 years, of a 6 year sentence. He is being released in July. His parole officer just told my mom that he will have to wear an ankle monitor, perhaps for life. Wed been told after his conviction that he wouldnt have to wear a monitor at all, just be on parole for up to 12 months. Is there a way to confirm this? Where do we look for more details? His prior lawyer is horrendous, and wasnt even able to get new evidence refuting the allegations admitted into court, so hes no help. This is the first allegation of a sexual nature against my brother. Hes abided by all rules, and worked hard at rehabilitation programs to shorten his sentence, and be as equipped as possible when he gets out. Hes not considered a high risk repeater, as the unjustified allegation was from his young daughter, through a sexually active foster child in the same home at the time.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2020, 03:15 PM
attorney

Thanked 22,282 Times in 7,746 Posts

https://www.cdcr.ca.gov/parole/sex-offender-laws/
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-02-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 05:30 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,322 Times in 16,160 Posts

It IS in the law regarding gps for sex offenders, but they are only doing this while they are on parole. After that they normally do not have the gps.
The reason is.......
who would monitor it? They dont have the money and dont have anyone to monitor them.
Personally I think its a waste of money to do that for those off supervision, but that is just my opinion.

If he will have the same type of situation my hub did.
He will need to charge it 2x's a day, everyday for one hour each time.
Its clunky and not that comfortable but its doable. Hub used to use that stretchy elastic to sort of keep it snug against his ankle while he was up during the day as it can bang against the ankle and is not comfortable. (hub rode a bike for passing the time and it helped him alot)
He would also pull his socks over it if he didnt want the coban or ran out
( https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3321980&rt=rud)
They can shower in them, and be outdoors in the rain but no swimming or hot tubs.

The PO can buzz them on it if they want them to call in, and you had better get to a phone and call right off.

When my hub was released on parole after 5 plus years.....they called him and told him he could cut it off. He told them no way. I'll be in the next morning to have THEM do it. (not taking any chances!!)

Hub had very little problem with his other than it falling apart one time (called his PO right away and they had him come in to replace it) and once when he tried to use the car charging thing they gave him to charge it....the thing started to burn him, so he stopped using that.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:38 AM

I agree with Sidewalker. I don't think CA has a law for life time monitoring via ankle monitor. I am pretty sure he will have to wear it while on Parole, though. When fitted, he should wear a thin pair of socks to make sure they don't put it on too tightly. It is not ideal, but it seems like the POs come around less while on the monitor since they know where he is at all times.
The Following User Says Thank You to mtbfan For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (04-13-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 06:35 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,322 Times in 16,160 Posts

Also.......just re read what the op said.....parole will likely be for longer than 12 months. Just a heads up there.
typically its 3 yrs, but laws surrounding that have changed as well. We found that out the hard way.
He will at some point get more info as he nears his release date. It may or may not say in it, how long he is on parole for. My hubs paperwork said *until released from parole* (or something close to that)
At his sentencing the judge told him 3 yrs parole, however the laws changed while he was in and it ended up being 5 1/2 yrs.
Not saying this to scare you all......just a heads up.

Old 05-02-2020, 07:12 PM

I concur in CA as am SO he will be required to wear an ankle monitor. Parole period can be 3 years, five years, ten years or more. He won’t be allowed at parks or places where children congregate that means basically anywhere (malls, zoos, beaches etc) he’s in for a rough ride .

He will also have to undergo sex offender “therapy” and submit to polygraphs. It’s wild
The Following User Says Thank You to formulaic1 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (05-03-2020)