Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Topics and discussions relating to current and past events dealing with the Arizona Prison and Criminal Justice Systems, political corruption, etc.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:19 PM

Default Medical neglect in the news

"Lack of Adequate Health Care is a Death Sentence for Arizona Inmates"

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...nmates-8300897

Just one example of the continuing problem:

"But although Nishma, crippled by abdominal pain, rapidly losing weight, and bleeding out quarts of blood, begged repeatedly to see a doctor, it was more than eight months before she was administered a diagnostic test.
Even after the cancer was discovered, records show that weeks slogged by before Corizon, the private health-care organization Arizona hired to manage inmates’ medical needs, authorized her to begin chemotherapy. "

In another article, they quote an expert "[T]he ADC health care delivery system is fundamentally broken and is among the worst prison health care systems I have encountered." -- http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...itions-6644596

That article also included proof that they're not learning from experience. "In another case, a prisoner died of untreated Hodgkin's lymphoma". I wondered if maybe that was the Gina Panetta case. No, it wasn't, they did it again after Gina Panetta died of untreated leukemia. "Dr. Cohen's review of the medical records points to delay after delay in his care, calling his death 'shocking.' "

That's "his", not "her", so it's another inmate.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2017, 04:09 PM

I missed this one from last year about medical problems at Perryville and specifically the San Carlos unit.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...prison-8340864

Quote:
"It's pathetic what's going on out there — the health care out there is horrible and practically nonexistent," says a local doctor who contacted Kendrick because his wife is among the women who has had the rash for months.
The doctor asked that New Times not publish his name for fear his wife would face retaliation at the prison. He says his wife has told him that many women have open lesions all over their bodies, while others are scratching themselves at night until they bleed.
Has anyone heard how that turned out? Did they get it under control?
Shelby67 (07-19-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 12:45 AM

Even a legal settlement isn't enough to make things work right. The DOC is (allegedly) out of compliance with what the court requires and is (allegedly) retaliating against inmates who testify about conditions.

Quote:
The judge was described by Kendrick as "livid" about reports that the prisoner witnesses may have been targeted for retaliation.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...uit/501035001/

I have a question for people who know the system better than I do. Do the complaints sound like any usual kind of retaliation?
Shelby67 (08-02-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 01:04 PM

The retaliation complaints continue.

http://kjzz.org/content/534602/feder...are-settlement

Quote:
Deputy wardens testified that there were no retaliatory actions taken against inmates who had testified to poor health care conditions in Arizona prisons.
But DOC staff could not cite state policy that would explain why an inmate who testified was made to a wear a jumpsuit and put on a targeted search list.
Judge Duncan accused the Department of Corrections of a “CYA behavior” and said that DOC staff had lied on the stand in previous testimony.
Shelby67 (09-15-2017)