Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 12-17-2019, 04:03 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,682 Times in 2,508 Posts
Default How Families Cope with the Hidden Costs of Incarceration for the Holidays

How Families Cope with the Hidden Costs of Incarceration for the Holidays

"Every month, Telita Hayes adds nearly $200 to the commissary account for her ex-husband, William Reese, who has been in the Louisiana State Penitentiary for 28 years.

Each prisoner there is given three meals a day and some personal hygiene items, like soap and toothpaste. But when Mr. Reese gets hungry between meals, or when his state-issued supplies run out, the commissary money buys him extra food and other necessities.

That is not the only way his imprisonment drains her wallet. On top of the $2,161 she has put in his commissary account so far this year, Ms. Hayes has paid $3,586 in charges for talking to him on the phone when she cannot make the hourlong drive to the prison, and even $419 for emails sent through the prison’s email system."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/17/u...YciQsd-4ZUG9PE
fbopnomore (12-17-2019), patchouli (12-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2019, 08:46 PM

Thanked 2,506 Times in 871 Posts

It's all a racket!!! The system is gauging families at every turn! I'm so glad our son will be home soon! It's been a real eye opener and a long 12 years; I'm truly disgusted at some of the stuff I've witnessed.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:42 PM

I agree, it's a racket. Hubby has learned that anything they are allowed to "buy" from the outside has a 30% markup to them. They push about how important contact is with the inmates.... sure it is... so they can get money. The innocent on the outside are already severely impacted by this but we are "punished" even more it feels like when we get gouged like this,
Old 12-21-2019, 08:48 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,493 Times in 16,826 Posts

I received an email today, thanking me for filling out a Marshall Project survey. The email stated that the results [are] a five-day series about the challenges facing families of the incarcerated. These articles were all published in partnership with the New York Times...
The email linked 4 of the 5 articles:

Day One: The Hidden Cost of Incarceration
Day Two: The Long Journey to Visit a Family Member in Prison
Day Three: The Video Visitation Disconnect: High Prices, Low Quality

Day Four: A Couple That Crafts Together Stays Together

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
choclgs (12-21-2019), GaReform (12-22-2019)
Old 01-05-2020, 09:55 PM

Default Tracking phone calls

My husband is under incarceration under the d o c. However since there is no room at any state institution he is at a County Jail. At a state facility we would be paying $0.06 a minute for the phone call but at the moment we are paying anywhere from 21 to 27 cents per minute and nobody can tell me what the actual cost of these phone calls are, who receives the service fees, and what the tax actually is on a phone call. I'm wondering if anybody out there has looked into a lawsuit against the state of Wisconsin for not providing the discounted rate for telephone calls when they do not have room in their system? Who governs these third-party telephone companies?
Old 01-05-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemydash View Post
My husband is under incarceration under the d o c. However since there is no room at any state institution he is at a County Jail. At a state facility we would be paying $0.06 a minute for the phone call but at the moment we are paying anywhere from 21 to 27 cents per minute and nobody can tell me what the actual cost of these phone calls are, who receives the service fees, and what the tax actually is on a phone call. I'm wondering if anybody out there has looked into a lawsuit against the state of Wisconsin for not providing the discounted rate for telephone calls when they do not have room in their system? Who governs these third-party telephone companies?

I'm not sure if these links will help answer any of your questions or not.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...ephone-service

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/phones/