Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Michigan prison Visitation, Phones & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's sub-forum category.

Old 01-11-2020, 10:55 PM

Question Does commisary money follow an inmate to prison in Michigan?

I joined this forum on the off "chance" my child would be going to prison. That "chance" has become my reality. I am wondering if anyone happens to know if I should put more money than usual in his commissary or does the jail/prison confiscate it? I know we wont be able to communicate throughout the intake process and I want to make sure he can get what he needs before we can reconnect. Thanks for any and all help.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2020, 01:25 AM
❤️784❤️

I think if you do send money, you have to state what it's for. Commissary, Restitution, or whatever. Otherwise I believe they just take it all towards restitution if he owes any.

Don't take my word for it, others who've delt with this process will have a better answer.

The Following User Says Thank You to AnieLove56 For This Useful Post:
Missmyboy2 (01-12-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 08:51 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 31,858 Times in 15,897 Posts

I think it depends on your state.
In CA their money they have on their books, goes with them when they go to prison.
Restitution IS paid but here its a portion not the whole thing, and them grabbing it (the doc) usually does not start right away.

I believe its like 55% of whatever you put on. (they tack 5% on as an administrative charge.......)

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Missmyboy2 (01-15-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 01:04 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,376 Times in 16,766 Posts

Be sure to set up a phone account for his calls from prison if the phone service provider is different than the jail's provider. Here is the info from MI DOC's webpage:

Quote:
To sign up for a Prepaid Calling Account, you can call PCS at 855-466-2832 or you can visit their website at:
Here is a link to MI DOC's Family Information Packet...you may want to bookmark it, it will come in handy fairly often:

https://www.michigan.gov/corrections...694---,00.html

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Missmyboy2 (01-15-2020), sidewalker (01-13-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 11:51 PM

Thanks everyone! This is all so damn frustrating and overwhelming. As his mother it has always been my responsiblity to have all the answers. However I was never educated or prepared to deal with this one. I know its his crime and also his battle but its my emotions and worry that always tends to rattle. I'm hanging on by the skin of my teeth just to try and calm his anxiety and fears. Meanwhile a nuclear bomb has been lit inside since the day I got a call on Sept 4th that he wouldn't come out of the house til I got there. I arrive to find 4 cop cars in his yard, 2 cops with a battering ram all in the front yard. He is around the corner at his buddies house with 4 more copcars neighbors out in full force making youtube videos. I watched them lead him out and into a car handcuffed. The fuse has been lit for that long. I am just so so tired. Thanks for letting me vent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Missmyboy2 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmyboy2 View Post
I joined this forum on the off "chance" my child would be going to prison. That "chance" has become my reality. I am wondering if anyone happens to know if I should put more money than usual in his commissary or does the jail/prison confiscate it? I know we wont be able to communicate throughout the intake process and I want to make sure he can get what he needs before we can reconnect. Thanks for any and all help.
In Michigan it depends if the inmate owes 1)fines,fees,and court costs, and 2)restitution. If he owes these he can keep the first $50 a month and then anything over that gets split between 1) and 2). So, let's say you deposited $70 into his account. He would keep $50, $10 would go to 1)fines/fees and $10 would go to 2)restitution.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChloeMoe For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-17-2020)