Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW HAMPSHIRE Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

NEW HAMPSHIRE Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of New Hampshire - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, Visitation & Phones, mail and more

Old 01-31-2007, 08:12 AM
Donation Award 

Thumbs up N.H. Creates Web Site To Look Up Prisoner Information

Ask and you shall receive!!!!

N.H. Creates Web Site To Look Up Prisoner Information
Database Shows Prisoner Location, Parole Eligibility

POSTED: 4:24 pm EST January 30, 2007

CONCORD, N.H. -- The public can now look up state prisoner information at the Department of Corrections Web site.

Type a prisoner's last name into the inmate locator, and you can find out where he's being held, his year of birth and the date he becomes eligible for parole. The database also shows the prisoner's ID number, when his sentence ends and the general category of his most serious crime, such as "fraud" or "sexual."

Escaped convicts are listed in red, with their escape dates. Those awaiting trial or recently sentenced may have "not calculated" as their parole date. Some offenders with no parole or maximum dates and crime information are being held on behalf of other states.

"Victims can check on an offender to see when they're up for parole, or where they are," corrections spokesman Jeff Lyons said Tuesday. He said the department is releasing the information under the state Right-to-Know Law.

The new system has some quirks. Murderers sentenced to life in prison without possibility of parole -- including Pamela Smart, who conspired with her 16-year-old lover and his friends to kill her husband, Gregory Smart, in 1990 -- have their "maxed date" listed as Dec. 31, 3000.

Inmates such as her former lover, William Flynn, who have a maximum sentence of life with a possibility of parole, show a "maxed date" of Dec. 31, 2999. Flynn, convicted of pulling the trigger, got 40 years to life with 12 years suspended and could be paroled in 2018.

Lyons said most other states have some form of "inmate locater" online, but the amount of information they release varies.

"Some states have everything: photograph, height and weight, sentencing court, tattoos," he said. Others list only names and location, not crimes or sentences, even though that information is public at courthouses.

Corrections is building a new database with more detailed information, as part of the new computer network linking police, court, prison and parole data. Lyons said he hopes when it is finished, the department will be able to upgrade the Web site.

"We'd like to get to the point where we can eventually put photographs, consecutive sentence information" and specific crimes on the Web site, he said.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Online inmate locater

Thank you for drawing attention to the new feature on our website. I have not posted enough to be able to give you the direct link. But go to the Dept of Corrections official website at nh.gov/nhdoc and click on the "Inmate Locater" link in the left hand column.

There are some things that need to be pointed out about this. First of all it is a very basic roster. It only shows the current controlling sentence. What I mean by that is if someone is serving multiple sentences at once or is waiting to serve a consecutive sentence, the list will only show one sentence. Part of that is due to the limitations we have in extracting the information from our outdated antiquated database system.

And the Parole Board has the final say on whether a parole violator gets a setback or not. Those 6-month or one-year setbacks are not reported in this database. Only the maximum release date will be reported.

The list will only be updated once a month and it is extracted from records on file in the Offender Records Office in Concord.

What it will do is provide people with general information on a state-sentenced inmate, his/her prison ID number and facility so people can write to them.

We are in the process of building a new offender management database, which when it is completed should allow us to extract more information from it than we can now. We hope to be able to expand the online database in the future.

---Jeff Lyons
Public Information Officer
NH Department of Corrections

Last edited by NHDOCPIO; 01-31-2007 at 02:35 PM..
Old 02-01-2007, 06:52 AM
Donation Award 

Sorry, but I fail to see how this is a good thing.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Donation Award 

Out of curiosity, why don't you think it is a good thing?
Old 02-01-2007, 06:42 PM

i dont think its a good thing either... Now my husbands X can find his id # or when he is up for parole--nosey co-workers or neighbors can find out what he is locked up for or for how long---think about it do you really want people you dont know very well knowing your business????
Old 02-02-2007, 04:18 AM
Donation Award 

It's public information anyway. Anyone can go to the courthouse and find out why someone is locked up and for how long. I don't believe this is any information that people couldn't get anyway by just making a phone call to the prison or the courthouse - or even by picking up a newspaper to read the local news.

Last edited by Crone; 02-02-2007 at 04:20 AM..
Old 02-02-2007, 05:57 AM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

Hello everyone!

Just some examples of how this can be a good thing - although I see that your state does not have as detailed a list as Michigan.

A lot of Michigan members use the MDOC website to know where their loved one is. We have over 50 prisons in Michigan and our loved ones get transferred a lot. We can check on OTIS the morning after they are transferred to find out where they have been moved to, otherwise we have to sit here unknowing for 3-4 days or more until they can get their phone privileges turned back on!

We can also check for information on their Out Date(s). Parole restrictions and parole information is also listed here so a quick check tells us that info.
If€ someone gets picked up on a Parole Violation they can find out if he's been sent back to prison or is just being held. Some of our members simply look them up to see their pictures out of that lonely feeling we all get at times (I understand you can't do that here).

Its a little scary at first to know that this information is so readily available on the internet, but it has its positive uses as well!
But they all get along and
EVERYONE is happy!

R.I.P. Sally! This Dragon is Flying High Again.. WE LOVE YOU & Will Never Forget!
Old 02-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Donation Award 

Maybe we could list all the personal backgrounds of politicians, wardens, judges, co's, police.......get my drift? Where they have worked, their credentials, list of grievances filed against them.....

Just too much of airing dirty laundry to me in a public arena........and as in most public forms of information......it is not always updated and wrong information could be spread in the name of human error.

Yes, you can go to a court house to find the info.....if you have that great a desire......do so.

Last edited by pmitch10; 02-02-2007 at 07:04 AM..
Old 02-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Donation Award 

pmitch, being a private type of person I understand your concerns, however criminal records have always been public information. You can't get much more public than having things published in the daily newspapers or broadcast on local and national tv (Pam Smart, O.J. Simpson, look at this guy Decato for instance). While there will be some who will misuse the list (there is always one) the majority of the people won't care unless it is their loved one's info they are looking for. Personally, I'd rather see this information available online than these sex offender registries. I don't know if they are planning to do this in NH or not but I have heard talk that there will be online registries for drug offenders, murders, etc. soon too.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Donation Award 

Yes....we want our loved ones to be rehabilitated and introduced back into society, yet they want to continually penalize everybody with these registries and expect them to succeed once they get out reintegrating back into being a productive member of society, punishing not only the offender but the families related to them.

Seems contradictory to me as to how these lawmakers want to have these registries and very impractical rules placed on those who have already served and done their time. Obviously they have no faith in humankind.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:32 AM
Donation Award 

The policy makers are following the mass hysteria created by the media. It is difficult (but not impossible) to change a person's mind when they are frightened. Unfortunately, the hearings on the bills that create these laws are held when the majority of NH citizens are working and hence little public input is heard.

You want to talk about crazy laws, take some time and read on the NH Legislative web site all of the ridiculous bills that have been submitted for just this year alone. If we simply enforced the laws we had AND if people took responsibility for their actions, we wouldn't need another law on the books.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:27 AM
Donation Award 

Yes Crone......you are correct in the way the media creates frenzys as though they are not about reporting the facts anymore. They are more about sensationalism in my opinion.

As for public input.......it is almost non-existent for those that do work to be able to attend these hearings. We need some form of group to band together to attract attention to issues that are important to us and our loved ones and I am thankful for the NH Families for inmates.......but more needs to be done when bills are passed all the time and we need to keep on top of them, first to be even made aware of them......geesh........how does one keep ones life in balance......haha.