Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSOURI > Missouri Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Missouri Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Missouri Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:23 PM

Angry Women's Eastern Receptions Diagnostic and Correctional Center Staff

I find the staff working at WERDCC, rude and hateful. They treat visitors like criminals. They act like dealing with visitors is a big inconvenience. Inmates are treated poorly from what little I have seen, I can only imagine how they are treated when no one is looking. And my tax dollars pay for this. I have much more I could say, but I will be nice and stop here.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2006, 09:07 PM

First off, welcome to PTO and the Missouri forum. I hope your experience here will be more enjoyable than the visit you described. I know nothing of WERDCC and their visiting. I know at other locations the staff are nice and cordial. You will run across one in a bad mood occasionally but I usually look at it just like I do anyone doing a job--some days are good and some days suck. I have found that they will usually treat you with the same respect you give them. But my experiences have been in the men prisons.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:30 PM

I was thinking about going to WERDCC this coming Saturday to visit my daughter and I was wondering what to expect. I called her case worker this morning to see for sure if she could have visits yet and so far I am the only one approved. Her kids are not approved yet so I might wait until they are approved so that I can take them. This is all new to me but I thought she was moved out of R&O and the caseworker said that she was moved but she is still in something like R&O and that is why small children are not approved yet until she is moved again (?). The caseworker was very nice.
My daughter doesn't say much at all about any thing that goes on inside and how she is treated. I have no idea what to expect when I do go and see her. I will have to make a call because I have heard so many different things and my daughter is the one telling me most of the stuff as far as cigarettes. Can you take cigarettes inside? I was told that you could take them inside and she could smoke as long as they were your cigarettes but you could not leave her any. Does anyone have any idea about this?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:31 PM

Oh and I am sorry Agent K, welcome to the group. Can you tell that I am new too?
Old 12-13-2006, 04:47 AM
Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,658 Times in 349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent K
I find the staff working at WERDCC, rude and hateful. They treat visitors like criminals. They act like dealing with visitors is a big inconvenience. Inmates are treated poorly from what little I have seen, I can only imagine how they are treated when no one is looking. And my tax dollars pay for this. I have much more I could say, but I will be nice and stop here.
Agent K, please continue to be nice becasue we don't agree with bashing of DOC staff here on PTO.

I am also going to suggest that just like going into Sears or any store, you can find an employee that is not very nice, so can you find the occasional DOC employee. I personally find it a generalization to say that all of the staff are rude and hateful and there is not one that is nice.

I am also going to go out on a limb here and make a statement that many don't want to hear. The DOC staff sometimes treat us the way that they do becasuse we don't treat them with respect. The rules in the visiting room get stricter all the time and they get tougher on us all the time because WE break the rules and try to bring in contraband, we are rude to them, and we make their lives miserable.

I say 'we' in a very general sense. On PTO we see questions like 'what can you get away with in the visiting room?' and this just proves that we continue to try to break the rules and so we get caught. Everytime that someone gets caught in the visiting room then it makes it harder for others that follow.

So - I am not going to blindly say that you did not have a bad experience. I have had bad experiences, but in general have found that the majority of CO's are nice if you approach them with respect and follow the rules.

Yes, you can say that your tax dollars pay for this, but they are not there to
'serve us' and create an unforgettable experience from our visit - they are there to do an often difficult job.

I am NOT defending the DOC or any attitude. I am a firm believer that they are capable of a smile and a polite comment just like we would expect.

I would suggest that if you have names and specific situations that you write the Superintendent of the facility and discuss the situation. You could also call the Superintendent. My suggestion is always that you get the permission of your loved one before you do this.

In general if you have a gripe with the DOC, you are free to post it here and discuss it, but I do caution you that we try to remain 'friends' with the DOC here and so for that reason, we don't encourage any bashing of the organization in general.

The Prison System is Broken
Old 05-07-2007, 11:04 AM

i can not agree with agent k. i have had a girlfriend in WERDCC for many years and i have visited her many times. the officers where friendly but strict. just dont try to mess with them and they talk to you in a friendly manner. i've never had any problems.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:49 PM

dont know where to start. I am very scared about my situation. I am going to be sentenced on July 20, 2007 for non payment of child support to my ex-husband. I have four little children and a husband who works otr. I am being sentenced to 4 years at WERDCC. I dont know what to expect. Can anyone help?
Old 07-18-2007, 07:45 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermomoffour
dont know where to start. I am very scared about my situation. I am going to be sentenced on July 20, 2007 for non payment of child support to my ex-husband. I have four little children and a husband who works otr. I am being sentenced to 4 years at WERDCC. I dont know what to expect. Can anyone help?
I'm not sure what to expect, but I can give you some advice. And that is to go in, keep to yourself and do your time. Take any and all classes offered to you, work your job the best you can and stay out of anyone's drama.

I'm sorry this is happening to you and feel terrible for you and your family. I'm really surprised that this overcrowded system would put a mother of 4 in prison for non-support payments when there are others that deserve the actual prison time. Hopefully you will be granted and early parole (and I would be surprised if you didn't get that with the crowding in the women's prisons) and will be home soon to your family.

I wish I had better things to tell you, but I am just not very familiar with the women's side of things.