Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:02 PM

Default Sentence length and MINT program eligibility

Ok so I have a couple of questions...this my first time getting into trouble such as this.
I SS October 18 to Coleman.
Q1. I was sentenced to 75 months w/ mandatory 24 months. The offense was committed 5 years ago and I have been on a straight path every since. I know I have to do my mandatory but I was thinking of doing a motion afterwards to do the rest on probation, what the likelihood, I mean based on your experiences?

Q2: I'm currently pregnant (1st time mom to my little boy Joshiah) and I'm due 12/12/17.
I was reading about the MINT program but it one of the qualitifications for that program if having 5 yrs or less "left" on my sentence. How is that possible to have time "left"? Are the regulations set and final OR can someone make acceptions? I mean I can't do the time (I think) but the bond I need w/ my baby boy it's extremely important to me.

Q3. How does game time work? Is it the same as doing 85% of my sentence?

If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2017, 05:37 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,803 Times in 13,434 Posts

Hello & welcome to PTO! I can't answer your specific questions for Federal prison, but I do want to say Congratulations on the wee one!

I have moved your post and given you your own thread so you can get the information you need
Old 08-30-2017, 05:59 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,774 Times in 10,135 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Here is a bop article about the MINT program saying that your unit team (Counselor, case manager and unit or camp manager) must recommend the program for you.
https://www.bop.gov/inmates/custody_..._offenders.jsp

You will earn almost 9 1/2 months of regular good time, which reduces your actual time to serve down to 65 1/2 months, but that is still more than 5 years, so your unit team will have to tell you if you are eligible for MINT, or not. A federal prison sentence of 85% is calculated by reducing the judge's sentence by 47 days for each 12 months of the initial sentence. (75 months = 6.25 years = 294 days of good time).

Your lawyer can explain your chances of having your initial sentence changed from prison to probation. With a mandatory minimum of 24 months of imprisonment, that is probably the minimum time for you to serve, and getting prison time changed to federal supervised release is extremely unlikely since it will be the same judge who sentenced you the first time.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:49 PM

Awww thank you, I'm excited about being a mom. Ok so if the minimum time I can possibly serve is 2 years, my judge will have to be a real dick to not allow me to finish the rest on supervised release. I just really want to get home to my son as soon as I can.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:10 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Don't count on a sentence modification until after it happens, Just about every federal prison sentence ends when the time runs out
Old 08-31-2017, 07:32 AM

Thank you. But I also believe in God. I mean I could have gotten more time than I did so anything is possible. Question: can I put money on my books even though I'm not there yet?
Old 08-31-2017, 09:08 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

You can fund your inmate account once you know your bop inmate ID number (xxxxx-xxx).
https://www.bop.gov/inmates/communications.jsp#money