Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California Topics and discussions specific to Pelican Bay State Prison located in Crescent City, California.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 07-31-2012, 01:03 PM
JavisLady JavisLady is offline
Account Closed
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA USA
Posts: 521
Thanks: 568
Thanked 523 Times in 243 Posts
Default

My man in PB SHU siad they were all on lockdown (like they could get more on lockdown but anyways....) on Monday 7/23 as he was scheduled to take a GED test but they didn't let him take it. I have no idea how long the lockdown was for. He wrote to me dated 7/24 and I received this letter on Sat 7/28.
Sponsored Links
  #52  
Old 07-31-2012, 02:00 PM
gabbsplus2 gabbsplus2 is offline
His ride or die chick!
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 436
Thanks: 131
Thanked 99 Times in 81 Posts
Default

I've checked the website and it says he still there, plus he said he wasnt going to move anytime soon as he just got there not to long ago.

@JavisLady, right they cant be more on lockdown than what they are already. They suck! I wish they would send him to gen pop. I dont even know when he'll be getting out because he wont tell me He has been in there for 13yrs
I was expecting a letter or 2 last week or at least today, but nothing :/ I wrote him anyway and sent him some writting materials hoping thats why he hasnt wrote. All his fam and i can do is wait for now...it jux the not knowing that sux!!...
  #53  
Old 08-01-2012, 04:17 AM
MrsScoops's Avatar
MrsScoops MrsScoops is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Posts: 264
Thanks: 71
Thanked 34 Times in 16 Posts
Default

they've been jammin the mail om purpose.... I guess the guys are being too well behaved, cuz the 'up close' COs have been messing with their mail, trying to stir them up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsScoops For This Useful Post:
gabbsplus2 (08-01-2012), JavisLady (08-01-2012)
  #54  
Old 08-01-2012, 07:56 AM
gabbsplus2 gabbsplus2 is offline
His ride or die chick!
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 436
Thanks: 131
Thanked 99 Times in 81 Posts
Default

They're such jerks!!! Ugh!
The Following User Says Thank You to gabbsplus2 For This Useful Post:
MrsScoops (08-03-2012)
  #55  
Old 08-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Sheryl P.'s Avatar
Sheryl P. Sheryl P. is offline
Registered User
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: california
Posts: 5,162
Thanks: 2,740
Thanked 3,945 Times in 2,166 Posts
Default

I guess it "the worst of the worst" act like jerks that gives job security,never mind if they are provoked
Makes me appreciate the good co's that try and treat our loved ones as people.They have to give an account before God too,not just our men.
I hate shu and feel for those of you with guys at Pelican Bay
__________________
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sheryl P. For This Useful Post:
gabbsplus2 (08-02-2012), JavisLady (08-01-2012)
  #56  
Old 08-01-2012, 10:58 AM
JavisLady JavisLady is offline
Account Closed
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA USA
Posts: 521
Thanks: 568
Thanked 523 Times in 243 Posts
Default

Me and my man have been thru this mail B S so many times already, we both know we love each other and that one day we will be together, so whatever they do we just shrug it off now......SHU sure teaches you one thing - patience! Ugh :-(

Dig this - for us to get married the prison has to produce an ID for my man so he can get his marriage papers notarized - I told him - if they don't know who you are already they need to let you out!!! What a bunch of BULL!
  #57  
Old 08-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Sheryl P.'s Avatar
Sheryl P. Sheryl P. is offline
Registered User
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: california
Posts: 5,162
Thanks: 2,740
Thanked 3,945 Times in 2,166 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavisLady View Post
Me and my man have been thru this mail B S so many times already, we both know we love each other and that one day we will be together, so whatever they do we just shrug it off now......SHU sure teaches you one thing - patience! Ugh :-(

Dig this - for us to get married the prison has to produce an ID for my man so he can get his marriage papers notarized - I told him - if they don't know who you are already they need to let you out!!! What a bunch of BULL!
Now that is amusing
__________________
  #58  
Old 08-02-2012, 11:52 AM
gabbsplus2 gabbsplus2 is offline
His ride or die chick!
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 436
Thanks: 131
Thanked 99 Times in 81 Posts
Default

I got his letter yesterday and didnt mention anything about been on lock or anything. Maybe just the mail was a slow poke this time lol I m glad I heard from now tho, what a relief! He finally told me after sooo many yrs (13) what his sentence was and im so sad its crazy how a person like him could have a sentence like that. I dont understand how that works i guess since i always thought there was always a "release date" to refer to boy was I wrong He got 15-Life
  #59  
Old 08-02-2012, 12:00 PM
JavisLady JavisLady is offline
Account Closed
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA USA
Posts: 521
Thanks: 568
Thanked 523 Times in 243 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbsplus2 View Post
I got his letter yesterday and didnt mention anything about been on lock or anything. Maybe just the mail was a slow poke this time lol I m glad I heard from now tho, what a relief! He finally told me after sooo many yrs (13) what his sentence was and im so sad its crazy how a person like him could have a sentence like that. I dont understand how that works i guess since i always thought there was always a "release date" to refer to boy was I wrong He got 15-Life
Keep your head up Gabbs. When I first learned what my man's sentance was, I have to admit it was a shock as he'd always not given me a straight answer and said something like "Ten years or so..." (He has 25 - life).

I honestly feel there is a change coming, The CA State budget just cannot keep all these people locked up for the rest of their lives as there is not enough $$$ in the State to maintain that. I hate to say it, but any change that does come about will be because of $$$ and not a change of moral values.

Vote yes for Prop 36 this coming election on Nov 6th!!! Tell your friends to do the same....it's a re-sentancing for 3 strikers....see my post in the CA 3-Strikes area of this site...oh wait - you are in Texas?? OK, nvmd....whoops.

Best wishes,

Valerie

Last edited by JavisLady; 08-02-2012 at 12:02 PM..
  #60  
Old 08-02-2012, 02:40 PM
gabbsplus2 gabbsplus2 is offline
His ride or die chick!
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 436
Thanks: 131
Thanked 99 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavisLady View Post
Keep your head up Gabbs. When I first learned what my man's sentance was, I have to admit it was a shock as he'd always not given me a straight answer and said something like "Ten years or so..." (He has 25 - life).

I honestly feel there is a change coming, The CA State budget just cannot keep all these people locked up for the rest of their lives as there is not enough $$$ in the State to maintain that. I hate to say it, but any change that does come about will be because of $$$ and not a change of moral values.

Vote yes for Prop 36 this coming election on Nov 6th!!! Tell your friends to do the same....it's a re-sentancing for 3 strikers....see my post in the CA 3-Strikes area of this site...oh wait - you are in Texas?? OK, nvmd....whoops.

Best wishes,

Valerie
I sure hope there is a change, even tho they commited the crime i dont think this conditions are right nor fair. My friend is a sweet heart and is a wonderful person. I love him very much. He is going to committee on 9/2013 so Im hoping he gets parole because he doesnt deserve to be there. I was trying to go see him since im going to see my hubby, but they moved him to PB-SHU recently and my hubby is Vicville Med II so cant do it Hoping for the best for our loved ones.
  #61  
Old 08-03-2012, 03:52 AM
MrsScoops's Avatar
MrsScoops MrsScoops is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Posts: 264
Thanks: 71
Thanked 34 Times in 16 Posts
Default

when they say "worst of the worst", they aren't talking about the convicts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl P. View Post
I guess it "the worst of the worst" act like jerks that gives job security,never mind if they are provoked
Makes me appreciate the good co's that try and treat our loved ones as people.They have to give an account before God too,not just our men.
I hate shu and feel for those of you with guys at Pelican Bay
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsScoops For This Useful Post:
JavisLady (08-05-2012)
  #62  
Old 08-06-2012, 10:34 PM
v_ymartinez v_ymartinez is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 10
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi Ladies,

I am totally new to this and was wondering if you could give me some pointers about mail to PB SHU. I need to know what I can send in a package with mailing supplies such as stamps/envelopes/paper/pens how much I can send, what is acceptable(brands) how often I can send it. Also, about sending picts sizes and how many p/letter & do I need to put anything on the back of the pict? And,what is the typical time frame to get a reply letter?

I know there are just so many rulesabout everything & am totally lost.

Thanks,
Nessa

Last edited by v_ymartinez; 08-06-2012 at 10:36 PM..
  #63  
Old 08-09-2012, 07:12 PM
JavisLady JavisLady is offline
Account Closed
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA USA
Posts: 521
Thanks: 568
Thanked 523 Times in 243 Posts
Default PB Shu Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_ymartinez View Post
Hi Ladies,

I am totally new to this and was wondering if you could give me some pointers about mail to PB SHU. I need to know what I can send in a package with mailing supplies such as stamps/envelopes/paper/pens how much I can send, what is acceptable(brands) how often I can send it. Also, about sending picts sizes and how many p/letter & do I need to put anything on the back of the pict? And,what is the typical time frame to get a reply letter?

I know there are just so many rulesabout everything & am totally lost.

Thanks,
Nessa
Hi Nessa!

I think I uploaded a .pdf a couple of years ago on this site somewhere about what is/is not allowed via mail to PS SHU inmates.

Here's the brief version:
They can now be sent stamps max. 20 per mailing (This is new these last few months)
I mail pre-stamped envelopes from the Post Office web site, if you do this make sure you order the WAG (Water Activated Gum) envelopes as the other kind is pre-glued that they can't have.
Pics are max of 20 per mailing. Put his last name & CDC# on the back of each pic - I write a note explaining what the pic is on the back of each one also and have never had a problem with this.
If you sent greetings cards - NO GLITTER! No music cards etc either.
Pens are a NO NO to send
I'm not aware there are particular brands of mailing supplies they can/cannot have. I know there's some specifics for drawing paper but my man doesn't draw so I don't know much about that - maybe someone else can help if that is a concern for you.
Paper - I think its 500 sheets per mailing but I've never sent close to that amount.

Usually....and this varies a lot, it's a week for a letter to go boths ways. So to get a reply to a letter will be a 2-week turn around. (For me, I'm in South CA).

Best wishes!
Valerie

Last edited by JavisLady; 08-09-2012 at 07:13 PM..
  #64  
Old 10-06-2012, 01:35 AM
v_ymartinez v_ymartinez is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 10
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile books

Hi Valerie or ladies,

Valerie, Thank You so much for the previous information regarding the paper supples and I'm also in So Cal and the turn around time framehas been averaging about 12-14 days for letters to get back to me--Thank God the letters have been steady thus far.

Now, I'm wondering about books what's the best vendor to go through-barnes & Noble/Amazon or other recommendations to have books sent to PB SHU? Also, how would I be able to find out what books are approved for them to receive. I'm aware there are restrictions with content & know that they only allow paperback-so Doubleday books is outta the question.

But any help will he appreciated

Thanks again.
Vanessa
  #65  
Old 10-06-2012, 11:45 AM
JavisLady JavisLady is offline
Account Closed
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA USA
Posts: 521
Thanks: 568
Thanked 523 Times in 243 Posts
Default Books

Hi Vanessa,

Books - yes paperback only and pretty much any third-party vendor is OK I beleive - but I've only used B & N or Amazon. Of course, no porn or smutt but that goes without saying.

I've had a issue trying to get a book to my man .... a guide to travel sites in England - I have NO IDEA why that would be refused, but it was (I"m from England so thought he'd be interested in that). Other regular books (such as the triololgy of the Hunger Games) went thru just fine.

I beleive the books have to all be new, not used.
  #66  
Old 10-06-2012, 11:17 PM
v_ymartinez v_ymartinez is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 10
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Books

Hi Valerie,

Again, Thank You so much for the information . Next question I've read that the mail starts to get backed up late November and December. How far in advance would you recommend I place an order to be sent out so that it arrives in time for Christmas, and does it get sent through a seperate processing department vs. regular mail?

Once again Thanks for all the info

Vanessa
  #67  
Old 10-08-2012, 11:07 AM
JavisLady JavisLady is offline
Account Closed
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA USA
Posts: 521
Thanks: 568
Thanked 523 Times in 243 Posts
Default Holiday Mail

Hi Vanessa,

I'm sorry I do not know if there are different mail processing depts.

To be sure for a book to arrive with the inmate by Christmas, I'd order by the second week of Nov. That could just be me, and he may get it way early, but personally I'd rather have it there early than late.

I've actually noticed the mail around the holidays to be backed up Thanksgiving - Jan - so you might want to bear that in mind. Hopefully this year will be different, but I seem to remember our mail taking up to 3 weeks to get to each other in January... we're ready for it now tho, given he's been up there for 4 years already.
  #68  
Old 10-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Unknown Unknown is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: milwaukee,wisconsin
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right spot, however I'm wondering during lock down is it just mail coming out that slows? Or is it also mail coming in. He seems to write back in decent time (not regular), but he keeps asking why my letters are so slow coming in. My mans in the SHU and half the time I'm not even sure if he knows he's on lockdown because nothing changes for him except slow mail.
  #69  
Old 10-15-2012, 11:40 AM
desertmoonwoman's Avatar
desertmoonwoman desertmoonwoman is offline
G'z Sweetstuff
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 1/2 of me is in CA
Posts: 1,533
Thanks: 479
Thanked 816 Times in 483 Posts
Default

I have learned over the years that with the mail, you can never guess what is happening. Sometimes it can go through fast, other times, like lockdowns the mail is scrutinized, and rightfully so. If the content of the letters is questionable. then it may come in slower, like talking about "homies" etc... If your letters are pages long, try and break them up, or write some postcards in between. This is all part of the system, and I have learned just to go with it. He may also be under the radar, the pod could be. Trust me they know when there is a lockdown as they may not get all of their showers or yard time.
__________________
Quote:
"Did you vote? Because if you did not, you can't complain about the conditions of prison."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to desertmoonwoman For This Useful Post:
v_ymartinez (10-17-2012)
  #70  
Old 10-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Unknown Unknown is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: milwaukee,wisconsin
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertmoonwoman View Post
I have learned over the years that with the mail, you can never guess what is happening. Sometimes it can go through fast, other times, like lockdowns the mail is scrutinized, and rightfully so. If the content of the letters is questionable. then it may come in slower, like talking about "homies" etc... If your letters are pages long, try and break them up, or write some postcards in between. This is all part of the system, and I have learned just to go with it. He may also be under the radar, the pod could be. Trust me they know when there is a lockdown as they may not get all of their showers or yard time.
Thanks so much for your help. I apprechiate it. It's been a year and I'm always noticing mail slowing, then some mail comes very quickly. It's confusing to say the least, however I never thought to break it up and send smaller letters. Thanks again
  #71  
Old 10-17-2012, 03:24 PM
v_ymartinez v_ymartinez is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 10
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default mail

Hi ladies,

I think the mail has slowed down a bit- I got a 1/2 page -quickie letter-dated in Sept about something I mailed on 9/10 in the mail on Mon 10/15 and a reg letter dated 9/21 was postmarked on 9/28-which i got on 10/1--that is very unusual usually the letter dates and the postmark date are within 2-3 days of each, other so I'd say definitely a big yes on the slowdown or backlog of outgoing mail (this is mail coming from the SHU).

Vanessa
  #72  
Old 10-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Unknown Unknown is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: milwaukee,wisconsin
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

For whatever reason I got 4 letters last week and this week I have none. They are all postmarked differently and arriving in the wrong order. I hate when this happens. I've had some mail issues within the last year, but nothing this major. I usually get 2 letters Monday, one wednesday and one Friday. Now I'm lucky if I even get them in order and within 2 weeks of when he writes them. They are no longer on lock down so I don't know what the heck is going on with the mail room! Even when I call they tell me "Oh no, no slow mail it's running regular!"
  #73  
Old 10-17-2012, 08:36 PM
desertmoonwoman's Avatar
desertmoonwoman desertmoonwoman is offline
G'z Sweetstuff
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 1/2 of me is in CA
Posts: 1,533
Thanks: 479
Thanked 816 Times in 483 Posts
Default

We are in C, my letter was dated 10/9 and I got it today... you will make yourself crazy if you focus on the mail, trust me, I did!
__________________
Quote:
"Did you vote? Because if you did not, you can't complain about the conditions of prison."
The Following User Says Thank You to desertmoonwoman For This Useful Post:
  #74  
Old 10-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Unknown Unknown is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: milwaukee,wisconsin
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Lol we are in C as well!! It's just a bad time for us, he had a denied appeal and I didn't find out about the denial by him because they mail slowed down. It took 3 weeks for him to get it out to me and by then I was pulling my hair out. I just don't understand why, if they are off of lockdown mail would continue to be so messed up.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:32 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics