Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California Topics and discussions specific to Pelican Bay State Prison located in Crescent City, California.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:28 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,943 Times in 2,166 Posts

Like mine,he will have to serve his whole sentence,no early release for them.
The good news is that while shu sucks ,we have an out date.
I thank God for that every day!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2012, 02:01 PM
His ride or die chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertmoonwoman View Post
If he has an out date he will be released. The program is for those with indeterminate sentences, like 25 to Life
Yeah my friend got 15-life sentence and he has been in there since 2000. But has been in SHU for whats going to be 3yrs this coming January. He doesnt really "explain" much to me and I kinda hate that but I guess I undestand. He is opening up though, its recently that he told me his sentence. He told me to check up on the Step Down Program, but all I read is not so promising. But yeah like you say, we have to be positive. The reason he thinks he will not get lucky when he sees committee is because he said he did get into a lil trouble... He will not say what he did as he doesnt want to worry me and all that. I am very optimistic though, Im hoping he comes home, its about time We miss him
Old 10-09-2012, 08:27 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
He may have had time added, however if he has an out date and it is 2014 consider yourself lucky, some have been there 25 years. If you are going to do time with him, then you need to ask him to explain what his sentence is, and read his papers, otherwise you may be in for a looong ride.
this is his 4th bid. First 3 were all short. This one was originally 2-4 years, with his EPRD 4/2013, they maxed out his time his new date was 2014. But he just told me they added another year to his sentence, which he's appealing, so his new out date is 2015. Our kids aren't taking this well and I'm not either.
He keeps telling me that he's waiting to be transferred to a SHU, but there are no beds available, so he might do his whole sentence at Susanville in the ad/seg unit
Old 10-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo'sWifey View Post
this is his 4th bid. First 3 were all short. This one was originally 2-4 years, with his EPRD 4/2013, they maxed out his time his new date was 2014. But he just told me they added another year to his sentence, which he's appealing, so his new out date is 2015. Our kids aren't taking this well and I'm not either.
He keeps telling me that he's waiting to be transferred to a SHU, but there are no beds available, so he might do his whole sentence at Susanville in the ad/seg unit
We're all in different circumstances, i understand that. However, if my man was to be out in 2015 I'd be doing cart-wheels! (My man has 25 - life, sentanced in 2007)
Old 10-09-2012, 10:15 AM

[quote=JavisLady;6969131]We're all in different circumstances, i understand that. However, if my man was to be out in 2015 I'd be doing cart-wheels! (My man has 25 - life, sentanced in 2007)[/QUOT

I guess I never looked at it from that perspective. But I just hope he doesn't get in anymore trouble and does get out in 2015...
Old 10-10-2012, 02:25 AM
Donation Award 

Yep, for a guy who is validated,a 2015 (or in our case 2016) out date is a cake walk compared to most of the guys who are validated.We are very blessed,no matter how hard it is right now.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:16 PM
G'z Sweetstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo'sWifey View Post
I feel bad for you, and your children. My concern for you is that this is his 4th bid, and he is having difficulty staying under the radar. Hopefully this extended stay will be positive for him... realizing he has a good reason to not return to the system. This is not easy, but there is an out date...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to desertmoonwoman For This Useful Post:
Diablo'sWifey (10-16-2012), Sheryl P. (10-12-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I feel bad for you, and your children. My concern for you is that this is his 4th bid, and he is having difficulty staying under the radar. Hopefully this extended stay will be positive for him... realizing he has a good reason to not return to the system. This is not easy, but there is an out date...
Thank u I really hope this is positive for him as well. Sometimes he just gets so down and out, and I realize its just his frustration with the whole situation, but hopefully he'll take this time to get his s*** together and stay out for good!
The Following User Says Thank You to Diablo'sWifey For This Useful Post:
desertmoonwoman (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 07:26 PM
G'z Sweetstuff

I was adamant with G, because I was standing by his side, my expectation was that he walked the line while he did his time. If he was being written up etc.. then I could no longer stay. I wish you well, it is OK to cry, it is OK to be weak, it is great when you are strong!
The Following User Says Thank You to desertmoonwoman For This Useful Post:
Diablo'sWifey (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I was adamant with G, because I was standing by his side, my expectation was that he walked the line while he did his time. If he was being written up etc.. then I could no longer stay. I wish you well, it is OK to cry, it is OK to be weak, it is great when you are strong!
Thank u! I really needed to hear that today
Old 12-22-2012, 12:03 AM
Jessgirl

Just heard that if they've been in the shu 10+ years, they bypass steps 1 through 4 of the step down program. They're obligated to sign a contract stating they will refrain from any "trouble" once out on the mainline.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to siciliangirl310 For This Useful Post:
ImJustMe123 (04-27-2013), JavisLady (12-24-2012)
Old 05-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Account Closed

I know it has been awhile since anyone has posted on this thread. I was just wondering if there were any updates people were aware of and if the step down plan has actually been being implemented and followed? Thank you
Old 05-08-2013, 01:02 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJustMe123 View Post
I know it has been awhile since anyone has posted on this thread. I was just wondering if there were any updates people were aware of and if the step down plan has actually been being implemented and followed? Thank you
To my knowledge the guys will be starting another hunger strike July 8th and so no,most are not willing to follow the "step-down" program (as it is currently written).
I hate it when things get tense like this and hope they can work things out.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Account Closed

I got a letter from my man today saying that they are still requiring men to debrief in order to participate in the step down program, and then they end up in PC and not even going through the steps. Has anyone else had experiences with loved ones actually going through the "Step down" without debriefing?
Old 06-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
I got a letter from my man today saying that they are still requiring men to debrief in order to participate in the step down program, and then they end up in PC and not even going through the steps. Has anyone else had experiences with loved ones actually going through the "Step down" without debriefing?
Not me, but a girl I know her man is in that, and he's been waiting and waiting to debrief and IGI now say they won't be visiting him till Oct!

The only changes I see to his living condition is that he has a celly and they get to play handball together for "yard" Other than that, he's still right there in "SHU"
Old 06-06-2013, 06:15 PM

Hi. I recently sat in a meeting with some CDCR Administrators to discuss the implementation of this new policy. I agree, that its more of the same and nothing really "new" at all. Actually the way this policy is written, its even worse than the old one, which is why the hunger strikes are resuming.

This is what I know:

I haven't heard from any one else that debriefing is a requirement to enter the SDP. Many prisoners have been assigned tot he SDP without even signing the SDP contract.

They are doing reviews at all of the prisons with Ad-Seg's and SHU's , starting with gang validated "Associates", not "members". They say they are doing the reviews based on associates who have been in the SHU longest at each institution. Although, I'm not sure that this is true because some associates who have been there for decades have not been reviewed yet. Who knows when they'll get to the validated "members" it might be a couple of years.

As of early May,
"Approximately 217 reviews have been completed of inmates housed within the Security Housing Units. (ALL SHU's not just Pelican Bay) Of this number, 72 (33%) have been approved for placement in the SDP Steps 1-4; 117 (54%) have been approved for Step 5 – General Population; and 25 have been retained in the Security Housing Unit due to safety concerns or to allow the inmate to complete phase 1 of Debriefing. Additionally, 3 inmates were approved for release to the THU/GP for Phase 2 Debriefing.

In addition to the above numbers, the cases of approximately 58 inmates presently housed in ASU were completed. These reviews resulted in the vast majority of the inmates being released to the General Population commensurate with their classification scores."

The numbers were slightly higher as of last week.

I think more than anything, what this shows is that their policy and implementation have been flawed all along. If over HALF of the men that are being reviewed are being immediately endorsed for transfer to GP, why were they in the SHU at all?

Its good that there are people getting out of SHU but we must keep in mind that the new policy is written in a way that will allow them to fill the SHU right back up as soon as the threat of a hunger strike or lawsuit goes away. This is NOT a meaningful change.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to azadeh For This Useful Post:
ap&sd4ever (06-14-2013), ImJustMe123 (06-06-2013), Lini (06-07-2013), Sheryl P. (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Account Closed

[quote=azadeh;7158765]Hi. I recently sat in a meeting with some CDCR Administrators to discuss the implementation of this new policy. I agree, that its more of the same and nothing really "new" at all. Actually the way this policy is written, its even worse than the old one, which is why the hunger strikes are resuming.

This is what I know:

"I haven't heard from any one else that debriefing is a requirement to enter the SDP. Many prisoners have been assigned tot he SDP without even signing the SDP contract."

"Approximately 217 reviews have been completed of inmates housed within the Security Housing Units. (ALL SHU's not just Pelican Bay) Of this number, 72 (33%) have been approved for placement in the SDP Steps 1-4; 117 (54%) have been approved for Step 5 – General Population; and 25 have been retained in the Security Housing Unit due to safety concerns or to allow the inmate to complete phase 1 of Debriefing."

I'm a little confused about the 2 parts of your post I bolded. If no one is required to debrief than why did you refer to phase 1 of the process as "debriefing"?

According to my man they did state that inmates who asked for consideration to enter Step Down were required to debrief to enter the program. He said that nothing has changed really that he has seen. He has been sitting in Pelican Bay SHU since April of 2009. First he was there for behavior and then he was recommitted indefinitely based on "intelligence".
Old 06-12-2013, 12:56 PM

"I'm a little confused about the 2 parts of your post I bolded. If no one is required to debrief than why did you refer to phase 1 of the process as "debriefing"?"

People are still "voluntarily" debriefing just as they were before the new SDP, but its not a requirement to get into the SDP. A couple hundred people have been assigned to it so far without debriefing. The SDP does not change the debriefing program at all, it will still be there and will continue to be "offered" as an option by IGI. We have recommended many times that they get rid of debriefing entirely, but they have made it clear that they won't. So in the Statistics I posted, 25 people who were reviewed were retained int he SHU EITHER because they chose to debrief, OR because the CDCR or the prisoner thinks that it would not be safe for the prisoner to go back to GP. All the other people in those statistics that got assigned to the SDP got there without debriefing.

"According to my man they did state that inmates who asked for consideration to enter Step Down were required to debrief to enter the program. He said that nothing has changed really that he has seen. He has been sitting in Pelican Bay SHU since April of 2009. First he was there for behavior and then he was recommitted indefinitely based on "intelligence".[/quote]"

The way that they say they're implementing the program in terms of deciding who to review is by which ASSOCIATES (not members) have been in the SHU longest at each institution. So at Pelican Bay they will supposedly start with the guys that are validated as Associates and have been at Pelican Bay SHU the longest. If your man has been in since 2009, it might be a while before he is reviewed considering there are people who have been in the SHU there since Pelican Bay first opened in 1989. That being said, I'm not sure if CDCR is really sticking to that method because I've also heard from Associates who have been in there for over 20 years and have not been reviewed yet.

Azadeh Zohrabi, J.D.
Soros Justice Fellow
Legal Services for Prisoners with Children
1540 Market Street, Suite 490
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 255-7036 x329
Fax: (415) 552-3150
Old 08-22-2013, 05:03 PM
G'z Sweetstuff

Good News! G was approved in 2012 to bepart of the Step Down Program.I just got a letter from him, he is now in A Yard, GP!!!! No debriefing, just be an alter boy. I believe his total SHU time was 18 years. DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE, EVER. 8 years ago people told me he would never leave the SHU....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to desertmoonwoman For This Useful Post:
ImJustMe123 (08-27-2013), JavisLady (08-23-2013), mrs.grumps (05-10-2015)
Old 08-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Soy Su Mil~Colores ❤️

Thanked 1,222 Times in 759 Posts

Quote:
Good News! G was approved in 2012 to bepart of the Step Down Program.I just got a letter from him, he is now in A Yard, GP!!!! No debriefing, just be an alter boy. I believe his total SHU time was 18 years. DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE, EVER. 8 years ago people told me he would never leave the SHU....

Congratulations and AMEN, that's a blessing to you and yours enjoy him and squeeze him like a lemon

Always have faith and never give up on hope .
JavisLady (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
That is soooooo GREAT to hear!!!!
Old 11-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Account Closed

My man and his celly he had in SHU (they were in one of the double cells) both got moved together to the yard this week. They are so happy! The one other friend my man had in SHU was given a date in December to transfer as well just before Christmas. To the best of my knowledge none of the 3 of them were a part of the step down program. I know my man wasn't in step down nor has he "debriefed". He had been in SHU since early 2009. I am elated and can't wait to get paid Friday so that I can put money on the phone for him to call. He said that the prison is under pressure to conduct more regular SHU committee reviews and that the last few weeks he'd been seeing more guys get called for committee than he had seen in the entire time he's been there
Old 11-06-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
My man and his celly he had in SHU (they were in one of the double cells) both got moved together to the yard this week. They are so happy! The one other friend my man had in SHU was given a date in December to transfer as well just before Christmas. To the best of my knowledge none of the 3 of them were a part of the step down program. I know my man wasn't in step down nor has he "debriefed". He had been in SHU since early 2009. I am elated and can't wait to get paid Friday so that I can put money on the phone for him to call. He said that the prison is under pressure to conduct more regular SHU committee reviews and that the last few weeks he'd been seeing more guys get called for committee than he had seen in the entire time he's been there
Congrats!! hopefully there are more stories like these on here.
The Following User Says Thank You to mnm118 For This Useful Post:
ImJustMe123 (11-23-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 12:26 AM

Omg, that's awesome news!! Yay!! Now, I'm waiting on my hubby to be one of those released NEXT! I'm prayin'
Old 11-23-2013, 10:32 PM
Account Closed

I'm praying for all of you who still have loved ones in SHU. My man was in there since 2009 but I know some have been in much longer.