Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

CDCR - What You Need to Know Information relating to the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation. Q&A for those new to the CDCR system should be posted here.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:30 PM
Donation Award 

Default Signing up for Educational Classes

Hi,

My son told me that he missed the date to enroll in the educational classes at Wasco. When I asked him when the next one was, he told me that he thought it was next June (2019).

Does anyone have any information on this? I wanted him to enroll ASAP so that he can start to earn Prop 57 credits.

Thank you,

Halo
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2018, 12:40 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 20,689 Times in 7,378 Posts

Is this for GED or college credit?

GED has rolling enrollment in most facilities. College courses work on a term basis. They follow the same sign-up and class schedule as the physical campus they are working with. So if he missed this window for winter term (and he has), he will need to wait for spring/summer. He can be proactive in this by asking to speak with the education department and get the exact date for enrollment cutoff for the next term. Also, have him ask what date the new class schedule should be available and what date enrollment will open. I know at my husband's prison the college he attends frequently lags on sending the catalogs and syllabi. He works in education so he's lucky to be able to have day by day updates, but many people miss it because the school is late getting the info to them.

Last edited by miamac; 11-21-2018 at 12:42 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (11-23-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 05:56 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Is this for GED or college credit?

GED has rolling enrollment in most facilities. College courses work on a term basis. They follow the same sign-up and class schedule as the physical campus they are working with. So if he missed this window for winter term (and he has), he will need to wait for spring/summer. He can be proactive in this by asking to speak with the education department and get the exact date for enrollment cutoff for the next term. Also, have him ask what date the new class schedule should be available and what date enrollment will open. I know at my husband's prison the college he attends frequently lags on sending the catalogs and syllabi. He works in education so he's lucky to be able to have day by day updates, but many people miss it because the school is late getting the info to them.

Hi Mia,

Thanks for the info!

He's up for college placement, as he passed the GED.

Is "Vocational" training at the prison different that the college courses?

Also, do you happen to know if he's transferred to another prison if he then needs to sign up for college at the new prison? The reason I ask is that he's up for review in May and he will more than likely be moved to a Level 2 facility. I'm thinking that the timing could be such that he will then miss the June sign up date.

Halo
Old 11-21-2018, 06:00 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 20,689 Times in 7,378 Posts

I don't think that voc training runs on the same exact schedule, so that would be something for him to follow up on. I know my husband has done some correspondence voc training that coincided with his college class schedule, but that could also just be overlap and the way it felt to me.

If he's mid-term and transferred, he shouldn't have to sign up again. However, each facility has limited spots for classes, so if he transfers when he's not enrolled, it could cause a delay. Also, not every college participates with every facility (that's my understanding, anyway) so they may not be able to help him from the new facility.

Frustrating, I know.