Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

CDCR - What You Need to Know Information relating to the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation. Q&A for those new to the CDCR system should be posted here.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:50 PM

Question I am just making sure of something...

I am trying to figure this out: once sentenced, they get day for day in county until sent to State reception? Is that correct? Is there ever an exception to this? I know its jail so its not supposed to be fair but it seems like they are taking their time transporting my husband out!
Old 05-01-2006, 07:54 PM

Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlm
I am trying to figure this out: once sentenced, they get day for day in county until sent to State reception? Is that correct? Is there ever an exception to this? I know its jail so its not supposed to be fair but it seems like they are taking their time transporting my husband out!
Correct, day for day from sentencing until arrival at CDC reception. I've seen no exceptions. It takes a week or 2 to be transported from most counties; I hear LA can be up to 8 weeks.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:57 PM

Thanks. Actually, his bunkmate just called to say they shipped him out today. So I guess thats good but I wont be able to talk to him for a long time in reception!!!!
Old 05-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Ronnie's Lady Love!!!

We are in the same boat... my fiance is at IRC now waiting to go..... It will suck not being able to talk to him
Old 05-14-2006, 05:37 AM

Please help He was arrested on 9/6/05 he was sentenced on 9/14/05 to one year 4 months at that time he was given 13 days cr (9 actual 4 conduct) ok He didn't get to reception until 10/13/05 He told me thats when his half time starts but he wont tell me the out day cuz he thinks hes cute BUT HES NOT I'm sooo going 2 kick his A** when I see him cuz he 's out like what in min days hrs help help help oh I would so like to just be waiting there at the gate and surprise HIM!!! The look on his face god would be priceless ok so please can any one tell me when he gets out thank you
Old 05-15-2006, 11:45 AM

Hi, according to the dates you provided and the days calculated, if I were you i would call the inmate locator 916-445-6713. Because if I did it right he should be out already. Somewhere between the 5th and the 12th of this month. Unless they messed up on his time somewhere between county and reception. If he is high control with enhanced parole conditions he is not allowed out on a Saturday. Either way he is hours/minutes away from your arms...Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 05-15-2006, 01:48 PM

Default ''lost&confussed''

Hey there sorry 2 intrude!But i got a few questions?My boyfriend just got shipped off 2 n.kern reception.And honestly his family and myself really dont even know how long he really got!When he got sentenced he got 88 months...but he got credit...and time serve..and ...50%..time..of his sentenced...by the time the judge sentence him he said he was only going to serve a totall of 22months!!!!!!!!but his lawyer told us dont worry about it hell be out way before that in about 16 months so honestly we dont even now his serving time status.....can u help?
Old 05-15-2006, 02:37 PM

I get 471 days total credit as of today. (9 days plus 33%; 28 days plus 0%, 215 days plus 50%). He's a short timer, but may have a couple of weeks left to serve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgzalley
Please help He was arrested on 9/6/05 he was sentenced on 9/14/05 to one year 4 months at that time he was given 13 days cr (9 actual 4 conduct) ok He didn't get to reception until 10/13/05 He told me thats when his half time starts but he wont tell me the out day cuz he thinks hes cute BUT HES NOT I'm sooo going 2 kick his A** when I see him cuz he 's out like what in min days hrs help help help oh I would so like to just be waiting there at the gate and surprise HIM!!! The look on his face god would be priceless ok so please can any one tell me when he gets out thank you
Old 05-15-2006, 02:42 PM

You need motre information to calculate the out date. This is how it works if he's in fact eligible to do half time (no strike enhancement; not a violent felony). Go to the court file, and you'll see what the local credits were. (He gets 33% good time added to the sentence). Subtract those from the prison term. Ask him when he arrived at CRCR Reception; he gets day for day credit (no good time) begining the day after sentencing until arrival. After arrival at reception, he gets 50% good time added to his credits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelysmiles
Hey there sorry 2 intrude!But i got a few questions?My boyfriend just got shipped off 2 n.kern reception.And honestly his family and myself really dont even know how long he really got!When he got sentenced he got 88 months...but he got credit...and time serve..and ...50%..time..of his sentenced...by the time the judge sentence him he said he was only going to serve a totall of 22months!!!!!!!!but his lawyer told us dont worry about it hell be out way before that in about 16 months so honestly we dont even now his serving time status.....can u help?
Old 05-15-2006, 06:45 PM
StoneInLove4everA&RBates

Default Help w/Release Date, "Please"

Hi.. I just wanted to know what your opinion or estimate of our release date. My fiance got sentenced 12/06/06 to 2 years w/1/2 off. He has been in custody since 07/13/05, @ sentencing he got credit for 218 days in custody (146 actual custody & 72 good time/work time). He then did 45 days before being transfered to Delano for reception. There he got a release date of Sept. 1. He is now in Chuckawalla, F-Yard & working a no pay job on the "Turtle Crew". I think he's being held approx. 3 weeks more than should be. Maybe I'm just doing the math wrong?? I'd appreciate your opinion.. & "Thank You"

Old 05-15-2006, 07:16 PM

Hi Everyone Thank You All So Much [u]MAY 17 !!!!!!!!! [u] Yippee I Just Called Up There And Asked When My Ol Man's Out Date Was n She Asked 4 His CDC Number Then Said The 17 th I Said Thank You n Hung Up It Was That Simple Why We Put Ourselves Through So Much Unnecessary Stress Is Something I'll Never Understand I'm Sure I Got At least 20 New Gray Hairs Just Worrying I Wouldn't Have Things All Ready When He Gets Home You Know. Ok Well I Only Have 1 1/2 Day's Left And So Much Still To Do Thanks Again
Old 05-16-2006, 12:10 PM

Using your numbers, the out date is a week later than what you report CDC told him.
I get 147 days at 33% (7/13/05-12/06/05); 45 days at 0%, and 116 days (until today) at 50%. That's 308 actual, and 188 conduct; for a total of 496 days credit until today. On a 730 day sentence, less the 496 days total credit = 234 days remaining on the sentence; and at 50% he has 116 actual days left to serve. That makes his out date, 116 days after today, September 9, 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneredlbh
Hi.. I just wanted to know what your opinion or estimate of our release date. My fiance got sentenced 12/06/06 to 2 years w/1/2 off. He has been in custody since 07/13/05, @ sentencing he got credit for 218 days in custody (146 actual custody & 72 good time/work time). He then did 45 days before being transfered to Delano for reception. There he got a release date of Sept. 1. He is now in Chuckawalla, F-Yard & working a no pay job on the "Turtle Crew". I think he's being held approx. 3 weeks more than should be. Maybe I'm just doing the math wrong?? I'd appreciate your opinion.. & "Thank You"
Old 05-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Alone for now

Default Time, Half Time and Whatever Else

Ok I have read this whole thread and I understand that there is nothing set in stone about the release date. Since Gryphon has been answering most of these questions I will direct most of this thread to them, but if anyone else has any input it would be appreciated.

A little history before we go any further. My wife was just remanded on the 10th, she had 12 days of credit before being sent to RCCC on the 12th. The total term she was given was 2yr 4mo served at half time (we were told that the total time would be at the most 1yr 2mo, but obviously thats wrong) and I understand that while she is at RCCC awaiting transport she will be serving day for day.
She is confused about things just as much as I am and some of the "old timers" are telling her how things work, but all that does is confuse us more. I am assuming that the soonest I would see her outside again is 9-10-08 if she serves the whole 2yr 4mo. But if she serves at half time it would be sometime around 8/2007.
What are the breakdowns and terms for credit for all she might be elligable for? Half Time (50%) = 15 days served for 15 off? Third Time(33%) = 20 days for 10 days off? Any other figures?
Finally what would a guess-timate be of some kind of release?
I do not know if it matters, but she was convicted of a non-violent white collar crime.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:11 PM

Sure, I can do that math; but 1st please double check that it's a 2 yr. 4 mo. and not a 16 month or a 2 yr. 8 mo. prison term. What penal code sections was she convicted of?
The reason I'm asking is that teh way teh math works out, it's nearly impossible to get a 2 yr. 4 mo. term. (Brief explanation: A low term of 16 mos. on a basic low level felony is 16 mos.; and a second subordinate term of a similar nature adds 8 mos because there's a sentence limitation of 1/3 of what the mid term carries. The total is then 2 years, and an additional subordinate term adds 8 additional mos. A mid term on a 16 mo., 2 yr., or 3 yr. offense plus a subordinate term equals 2 yrs. 8 mos. Just a low term is 1 yr. and 4 mos. A 2 yr. 4 mo. term is a very weird sentence because of how the math works out.)
Also, if you know the dates she was in custody prior to the sentencing, I'll double check those credits (including good time.)
Also, I need the date she arrived at CDCR Reception. If she hasn't; tell me whether she was sentenced in a huge city; and I'll estimate.

In general, what I'll be doing is subtracting county credits (adding 33% for conduct credits to the actual county days served); giving her zero conduct creits from the date of sentencing until arrival at CDCR Reception, but awarding day-for-day credit; then assuming 50% conduct credits once she arrives at CDC Reception (meaning there were no violent felony convictions and she didn't have her sentence enhanced with a strike.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by century242
Ok I have read this whole thread and I understand that there is nothing set in stone about the release date. Since Gryphon has been answering most of these questions I will direct most of this thread to them, but if anyone else has any input it would be appreciated.

A little history before we go any further. My wife was just remanded on the 10th, she had 12 days of credit before being sent to RCCC on the 12th. The total term she was given was 2yr 4mo served at half time (we were told that the total time would be at the most 1yr 2mo, but obviously thats wrong) and I understand that while she is at RCCC awaiting transport she will be serving day for day.
She is confused about things just as much as I am and some of the "old timers" are telling her how things work, but all that does is confuse us more. I am assuming that the soonest I would see her outside again is 9-10-08 if she serves the whole 2yr 4mo. But if she serves at half time it would be sometime around 8/2007.
What are the breakdowns and terms for credit for all she might be elligable for? Half Time (50%) = 15 days served for 15 off? Third Time(33%) = 20 days for 10 days off? Any other figures?
Finally what would a guess-timate be of some kind of release?
I do not know if it matters, but she was convicted of a non-violent white collar crime.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Alone for now

Default The Ways to Count the Time?!?

Dang, I thought I had all the info you needed...LOL, I am just looking for any kind of humor I can find in this situation to help me stay sane. Here is the info from the bottom of the case information that is available on line.

Charge Dispositions:
Count - Plea - Charge - Dispo Code - Dispo Date - Severity
C001 - NC - PC 487(B)(3) - NC - 03/06/2006 - FEL

Sentence Summary:
Count - Sent. Type - Sentence Date - Prob. Status - Non LT Code
CASE - O - 05/10/2006 - NP - SP

- Non Local Time
- 2Y4M

The judge gave her 12 days and added 6 for a total of 18 and as of today she is still awaiting transport from Rio Cosumnes which equals to 7 days there and 1 day at Sac County Main jail. (The judge stated that she was to serve her sentence at half time, but I have since read that he really has no say)
She just called and said they might transport her next week because today was transport day and the van left without her. That both sucks and is great, because then I can go see her again, but she is still serving full time for another week...crap.

The way I have figured it, after reading every post on this site that has any info regarding release date matrixes, the soonest would be around July of next year...that is the best guess-timate I can come up with

I think that about covers all the info you asked for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon
Sure, I can do that math; but 1st please double check that it's a 2 yr. 4 mo. and not a 16 month or a 2 yr. 8 mo. prison term. What penal code sections was she convicted of?
The reason I'm asking is that teh way teh math works out, it's nearly impossible to get a 2 yr. 4 mo. term. (Brief explanation: A low term of 16 mos. on a basic low level felony is 16 mos.; and a second subordinate term of a similar nature adds 8 mos because there's a sentence limitation of 1/3 of what the mid term carries. The total is then 2 years, and an additional subordinate term adds 8 additional mos. A mid term on a 16 mo., 2 yr., or 3 yr. offense plus a subordinate term equals 2 yrs. 8 mos. Just a low term is 1 yr. and 4 mos. A 2 yr. 4 mo. term is a very weird sentence because of how the math works out.)
Also, if you know the dates she was in custody prior to the sentencing, I'll double check those credits (including good time.)
Also, I need the date she arrived at CDCR Reception. If she hasn't; tell me whether she was sentenced in a huge city; and I'll estimate.

In general, what I'll be doing is subtracting county credits (adding 33% for conduct credits to the actual county days served); giving her zero conduct creits from the date of sentencing until arrival at CDCR Reception, but awarding day-for-day credit; then assuming 50% conduct credits once she arrives at CDC Reception (meaning there were no violent felony convictions and she didn't have her sentence enhanced with a strike.)
Old 05-17-2006, 07:16 PM

Uh oh. Trouble? I think there maight be an illegal sentence or perhaps a typo.
Penal Code section 487 b)3) (Grand Theft by Employee) carries 16 mos., 2 years, or 3 years in state prison. A 2 year 4 month sentence isn't possible!
Did she also admit a 1 year prior prison term enhencement that you haven't mentioned? That plus a 16 month term yields 2 years and 4 mos.
This needs correction ASAP before she goes to CDC, or there'll be nightmarish problems while she waits for correction. There could be problems getting classified, a a bus ride back to Sacramento isn't out of teh question.Contact her lawyer ASAP!
You might go to teh court file and see what eth sentence abtract saays. That's the form that CDC Rwill be working with.
Once you figure out the correct sentence; or figure out that she had an enhancement, I can do the math for you.

Last edited by Gryphon; 05-17-2006 at 07:19 PM..
Old 05-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Alone for now

Default Correct Info...Hopefully

After spending an hour in the Court Records office today...which raised more questions than I have answers for...I think I have all the info you need.
She was sentenced to the LT of 16 months plus 1yr pc12022.6 (a) (1) for a total term of 2yr 4 mo. credited with 12ds + 6ds = 18ds. Sentenced on 5-10-06...currently still in Sac County (RCCC) waiting transfer.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:52 AM

Quote:
If the inmate gets "The Bridge Program" at reception, then they can recieve work time credits there. The inmate would then get 20% added.
My boyfriend never was in the bridge program. he has a fixed or determinate sentence of 2 years, 8 months and can only get 20% credit. his presentence credits are 253 days and 8 days postsentence. his sentence date was 1/25/05 and his release date is 8/24/06. We can't figure out how they got 8/24/06. He's also medically exempt from working. Does anyone know if the 20% comes off his total sentence first?
Old 05-19-2006, 01:27 PM

If you got out of teh clerk's office with mere questions rather than a complete loss of sanity, you did well.
Now the numbers add up.
Estimating that it'll be 5/10/06 until 5/24/06 at the county jail; and there's no conduct credit added to that time: her out date is 6/29/2007 assuming she doen't lose any 1/2 time credits while she's there.
That's a 851 day total sentence, 33 days preCDCR credits (inc. 18 days total presentence credits); with 50% conduct credits applied to the balance.
Quote:
After spending an hour in the Court Records office today...which raised more questions than I have answers for...I think I have all the info you need.
She was sentenced to the LT of 16 months plus 1yr pc12022.6 (a) (1) for a total term of 2yr 4 mo. credited with 12ds + 6ds = 18ds. Sentenced on 5-10-06...currently still in Sac County (RCCC) waiting transfer.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Alone for now

Smile

Quote:
If you got out of teh clerk's office with mere questions rather than a complete loss of sanity, you did well.
LOL...Well the loss of sanity was when I got home and started reading. Felt like having a drink, but thought better of it.

Quote:
Now the numbers add up.
Estimating that it'll be 5/10/06 until 5/24/06 at the county jail; and there's no conduct credit added to that time: her out date is 6/29/2007 assuming she doen't lose any 1/2 time credits while she's there.
That's a 851 day total sentence, 33 days preCDCR credits (inc. 18 days total presentence credits); with 50% conduct credits applied to the balance.
Great, your numbers sound better then mine as there is a loss of about a month. I know it is just a guesstimate, but it is better then nothing.
Thanks for your time.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticlyfe
My boyfriend never was in the bridge program. he has a fixed or determinate sentence of 2 years, 8 months and can only get 20% credit. his presentence credits are 253 days and 8 days postsentence. his sentence date was 1/25/05 and his release date is 8/24/06. We can't figure out how they got 8/24/06. He's also medically exempt from working. Does anyone know if the 20% comes off his total sentence first?
If you are correct, and he didn't get the Bridge Program (I didn't know it could be avoided); he won't begin to earn the 20% conduct credits until he gets out of reception and is transferred to his prison housing. To calculate the out date, I'd therefore also need to know how long he was in Reception.

I can give you a ballpark, and it's a lot different than 8/34/06. If he was at reception for 45 days, and he didn't get 20% at reception for some reason, then he had a total of 379 days credit before he began to earn 20%. (253 + 8 + 45(est.)). That takes him up to 3/19/06. He then began to earn 20% from 3/20/06 until today's date. (That's 61 days with 12 days conduct credit.) His total sentence is 972 days; less a grand total of 379 days credit up until today. He will then continue to earn 20% on the balance.
That would make his out date 9/3/2007.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I know it is just a guesstimate, but it is better then nothing.
So long as I get the correct numbers and don't typo, my outdate estimates are very accurate (unless the inmate loses credits by misbehavior).
Old 05-19-2006, 04:13 PM

I've been getting lots or requests via PM as well as here regarding how to to do out date calculations. To avoid repeating myself, here's what you need:
1. The local jail credits, including good time credits. If I have the actual dates of licarceration, I can do teh math or double check the court's calculation.
2. The date of sentencing.
3. Whether the defendant was sentenced on a violent felony. A violent felony is a a legal definition, but basically it means that the crime is on a list of violent crimes; or it means someone was hurt pretty badly. Violent crimes only get 15% conduct credits.
4. Whether the defendant was sentenced with at least one "strike" enhancement. Having at least one prior strike means 20% conduct time.
5. The date or arrival at CDCR.
6. I need to know if the Bridge Program wasn't available; and if it wasn't available I then need to know the arrival date at the prison the inmate was sent to.
7. If there was a loss of credits at CDCR, I need to know how many.
8. If the inmate was sent to firecamp, I need to know the date they began work. After training, and once working, the inmate recieves 65% conduct credit.

Here's the secret formula:
Subtract local county credit from the total sentence.
Then, from the date of sentencing until the day before arrival at CDC Reception award day-for-day credit without any conduct credits (if the inmate does the Bridge Program. Almost all inmates presently do.) If the Bridge Program wasn't available, calculate those day for day credits until arrival the day before arrival at the prison housing the inmate (after leaving reception).
Once in the Bridge Program at Reception (or housed permanently in the case where the the Bridge Program is unavailable), add the appropriate % of conduct credits to the total actual time served form arrival until today's date. So, that's 65% firecamp, 50% most felonies, 20% strike sentencing, 15% violent felonies; if both a strike sentencing and a violent felony, use 15%.
Next, subtract the grand total of all actual and conduct credits earned up to today's date from the total sentence, and that's the reamaining days to serve. Count those days on a calendar, begining on tomorrow's date, to get the out date.
This calculation will work to determine out dates on for 99% of all felony sentences; and will also work to determine 1st possible parole dates on indeterminate sentences.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:06 AM

Default What is his NEW release date?

My husband was sentenced to 5 years with 6 days credit for time served. It was for a non-violent felony, no strike or prior strikes. He turned himself into county jail on 09/19/05. He arrived at Wasco reception on 09/23/05. While there he did the Bridge Program. He finally arrived at fire camp 05/19/06. What is his new release date??
Old 05-22-2006, 09:18 PM

PM Sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myhusband
My husband was sentenced to 5 years with 6 days credit for time served. It was for a non-violent felony, no strike or prior strikes. He turned himself into county jail on 09/19/05. He arrived at Wasco reception on 09/23/05. While there he did the Bridge Program. He finally arrived at fire camp 05/19/06. What is his new release date??