Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail This forum deals with all the ins and outs of the Canadian Prison and Criminal Justice System, including Phones, Mail, Packages, and visitation.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:42 AM

Default Here is a list of the Cheapest Collect Calls Plans in Canada

I've listed the cheapest collect call plans I could find (in alphabetical order):

Check out their websites, they may have more plans to choose from. All these services will provide you a phone number that will forward collect calls to your home phone or cellphone.

Call2Talk(aka Canada Relink)(wide network)

Calling Plans:

$59.99/month and $1.50 per call (Ontario and Quebec only)
$79.99/month and $3.00 per call (this plan is for anyone outside of Ontario and Quebec)

FedPhoneLine (signup can be done easily online)

Calling Plans:

$39.99/month and $1.50 per call (Ontario and Quebec only)

$49.99/month and $2.50 per call (this plan is for anyone outside of Ontario and Quebec)

These guys are the cheapest

InsidePhone (they have a handy app)

Calling Plans:

$59.99/month and $1.50 per call (Ontario and Quebec only)

The app is very handy, but a little difficult sometimes

Trappcall (good customer service, free calls on your birthday)

Calling Plans:

$59.99/month and $1.50 per call

*There is another called Incellmate, but I have tried to call them and they do not answer, so I cannot provide any information.
The Following User Says Thank You to IKARUS1984 For This Useful Post:
onparoleinTO (02-09-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2018, 10:36 AM
OnparoleinTO

We used magicjack which I believe was cheaper than any of the above given that we phoned every day. Also you can move the plan with you to any phone or computer.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:35 AM

Fedphoneline for direct calls once you are at your mother institute is good too.

15.99 a month ( home sets up )and the inmate's calling card is a .50 charge plus tax for up to an hour long call, as you will have a local number to their mother.

I am not sure if all mother institutes in Ontario are doing this but their calling cards are only allowing a total of 2 hours a day of calls. What this means is no matter how many different numbers are called no more than 120 mins in total is allowed ....you get operator warning now.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeFaith For This Useful Post:
Solstice2020 (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFaith View Post
Fedphoneline for direct calls once you are at your mother institute is good too.

15.99 a month ( home sets up )and the inmate's calling card is a .50 charge plus tax for up to an hour long call, as you will have a local number to their mother.

I am not sure if all mother institutes in Ontario are doing this but their calling cards are only allowing a total of 2 hours a day of calls. What this means is no matter how many different numbers are called no more than 120 mins in total is allowed ....you get operator warning now.
So if your going to go to a Federal Prison. Would the procedure be, inmate buys calling card. And someone at home gets Fedphoneline (in Ontario) and pays $15.99 a month? plus the $0.50 charge per hour call.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:09 AM
OnparoleinTO

If you're in a federal institution they will give you a calling card; you can only call numbers that are approved - another whole story. You then have to 'put money' on the card by transferring it from the account you have in the system (another whole story). You can only do this once each month. Or you can call collect, but it's very expensive. The person receiving the calls - your wife, say - would be the one to get the fedphoneline or other device which will give her a local number (relative to the prison) which you register on your phone card and can then call, making it a local instead of a long distance call for you, so cheaper. So the person on the other end pays the $15.99; the prisoner pays the per call charge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
IKARUS1984 (11-04-2018), Solstice2020 (10-31-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 08:34 AM

Yes, I tried to get a MagicJack line for Kingston, but they only had Ottawa numbers at the time and there was some type of USB setup that didnt work and I had to exchange it at Bestbuy. Then I used Trappcall and ultimately switched to FedPhoneLine at the end.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:26 PM

I use an app called line2...I looked into what the local area code was for my partner, I pay $9.99 a month and send him money for the phone. I forward the app to whatever number I want, it costs 56 cents a call vs. 11 cents a minute and we ended up saving huge
Old 02-11-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg0416 View Post
I use an app called line2...I looked into what the local area code was for my partner, I pay $9.99 a month and send him money for the phone. I forward the app to whatever number I want, it costs 56 cents a call vs. 11 cents a minute and we ended up saving huge
Unfortunately Line2 cannot receive collect calls, this list is for people looking to receive collect calls from their loved ones.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:12 PM

Can't you just use a prepaid calling card like Cici or something. They last 6 months, and someone from home can reload it.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:36 PM
OnparoleinTO

Solstice2020 - A prisoner would not be able to have such a card and in any case phones in federal prisons will only allow you to make calls while your ID card is inserted in the phone - and this has your calling money connected to it. Provincial jails would also not allow a prisoner to have a prepaid card. It makes no sense, but then so much of what goes on in those places makes no sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
Solstice2020 (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onparoleinTO View Post
Solstice2020 - A prisoner would not be able to have such a card and in any case phones in federal prisons will only allow you to make calls while your ID card is inserted in the phone - and this has your calling money connected to it. Provincial jails would also not allow a prisoner to have a prepaid card. It makes no sense, but then so much of what goes on in those places makes no sense.
I see. I forgot. I will be doing the federal thing anyway. So when I look back at the thread, it was $15.99 to setup the Fed phone line thing, so when I make a call it's local. Then about $1 for each call. So I figure around $40 a month.