Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release & community service in the State of Texas should be posted here. Also found here is information in creating Parole Packets, discussion of Parole Attorneys, etc.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:59 PM

Default Release from Sanders Estes soon, how can I contact him? What is indigent?

Hi there!
My pp is about to get released from Sanders Estes Unit in few days. However it remains impossible to get in touch!! His ecomm direct got shut down upon his release and he has no money saved for a phone call. I am stressed out as I have no clue abt any info abt his release (his halfway house's name or address, if sb is pickin him up etc...)
Is there anyone here that knows an inmate from the same unit? Can sb help us out being our intermediate for just the few days left??
Thank u so much I appreciate. I Hope a fast release date for all of Ur inmates.
Xxx
The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond4u For This Useful Post:
She'sMyAngel (08-11-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2020, 03:17 PM

Default What is an indigent prisoner?

Hi there
I was told my Friend is 'an indigent prisoner': what does that mean? I suppose he cant make any phone calls then? He is abt to get released so how are we supposed to make a plan for that Big day? Thks for helping
Old 08-07-2020, 03:54 PM

an indigent prisoner means a prisoner who doesn't have a commissary account in the prison to be able to support him self like make phone calls, buy hygiene products stamps food, shoes, cloths etc. His whole existence depends on what the prison system issues and gives him. My husband is in the same boat at the moment as i have no way of putting any money into his commissary account via western union or money gram as i'm overseas and the BOP doesn't allow for international money placements via those two services.
The Following User Says Thank You to Born For This Useful Post:
Diamond4u (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 04:20 PM

Hi there!
Thank u for answering! So there is nothing to do at all?
Old 08-07-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond4u View Post
Hi there!
You can fund him. Indigent just means poor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoluv29 For This Useful Post:
Diamond4u (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Hi there!
It all depends on where you live. If you're in the states then you can fund him and place money on his account. If you're overseas then you probably can't. It also depends on where he is if he's in federal prison then there nothing that i have found to help support or fund his commissary account as they only use moneygram, western union or money orders. But if hes county then you can fund his account via access corrections and jpay.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:55 PM

Im overseas and he says he can't get access to any JPay money he says like they take his money like he has debts? Plus his ecomm account just got shut down upon his release. Im stuck
Old 08-07-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Im overseas and he says he can't get access to any JPay money he says like they take his money like he has debts? Plus his ecomm account just got shut down upon his release. Im stuck
I'm overseas too and so far have had no luck what so ever in trying to fund my husbands account. If you find a way please let me know as i too am in the same situation as you.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:34 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,313 Times in 17,212 Posts

Quote:
@Diamond4u: Inmate accounts are typically closed at a certain point/number of days before release. If you have a jpay account, you can email him & send him "stamps" for a reply via jpay if he has access to a jpay koisk.

I believe that's right, its been a while since My Mr was released. And if I'm wrong, someone will correct me

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 08-08-2020, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
@Diamond4u: Inmate accounts are typically closed at a certain point/number of days before release. If you have a jpay account, you can email him & send him "stamps" for a reply via jpay if he has access to a jpay koisk.

I believe that's right, its been a while since My Mr was released. And if I'm wrong, someone will correct me

Thank you for your reply but he can't communicate through jpay in his state, only snail mail and considering his release date it is too late for him to receive stamps
The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond4u For This Useful Post:
patchouli (08-08-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 06:48 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,903 Times in 16,447 Posts

Do you know if they will give him gate money? (a small amount of money when he leave prison?) In my state they do. they get like 180 dollars plus anything they have left over from working inside or monies that people send them.
He could call after he's released (assuming anyone can find a pay phone at this point in time.....)

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Diamond4u (08-08-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 01:57 PM

I have no clue about that. Can I call his facility and ask about that?
Old 08-08-2020, 02:06 PM
Site Moderator

Thanked 23,901 Times in 8,400 Posts

Quote:
I have no clue about that. Can I call his facility and ask about that?
If you post a gate money question in the state forum where he is incarcerated, someone will likely be able to tell you. As SideWalker said, California state facilities release inmates with $200 on a prepaid card. If they have to take a bus to their county of parole, the money for that ticket is taken off of the card.

Can you say more about your needed plans for release day? If he can't call and mail is too slow/release date too soon, your only option will be to hope he calls you after he's away from the facility. If you're wanting to send him funds for his release, you can wire money. But be aware that he may not be able to collect it until he has a current state ID.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Diamond4u (08-08-2020), sidewalker (08-10-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
If you post a gate money question in the state forum where he is incarcerated, someone will likely be able to tell you. As SideWalker said, California state facilities release inmates with $200 on a prepaid card. If they have to take a bus to their county of parole, the money for that ticket is taken off of the card.

Can you say more about your needed plans for release day? If he can't call and mail is too slow/release date too soon, your only option will be to hope he calls you after he's away from the facility. If you're wanting to send him funds for his release, you can wire money. But be aware that he may not be able to collect it until he has a current state ID.

Thank u so much for ur reply! He is in TX. I wanted to know where he would stay. I dunno Abt anything after his release, was not expecting it to be happening in the next days like that! He is someone I have never seen for real but someone I care about and I'm scared I'm gonna lose any possibilities to reach him forever now. I called his unit, talked to the warden. He told me he would get him to phone me. Well it's been 5 days now and I'm starting to think it's not gonna happen. Any thoughts?
Old 08-08-2020, 05:45 PM
Donation Award 

Default calls

It depends on his prison. IC Solutions handles some prisons. Securus handles others. You can call the prison ask which phone company they use, then put some money on the account so he can call you collect. It is usually 21 cents per minute unless you have the same area code as the prison, then it could be only 6 cents per minute. Good luck!

QUOTE=Diamond4u;7824674]Thank u so much for ur reply! He is in TX. I wanted to know where he would stay. I dunno Abt anything after his release, was not expecting it to be happening in the next days like that! He is someone I have never seen for real but someone I care about and I'm scared I'm gonna lose any possibilities to reach him forever now. I called his unit, talked to the warden. He told me he would get him to phone me. Well it's been 5 days now and I'm starting to think it's not gonna happen. Any thoughts?[/quote]
The Following User Says Thank You to YOGA62 For This Useful Post:
Diamond4u (08-08-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 06:15 PM

[quote=yoga62;7824678]it depends on his prison. Ic solutions handles some prisons. Securus handles others. You can call the prison ask which phone company they use, then put some money on the account so he can call you collect. It is usually 21 cents per minute unless you have the same area code as the prison, then it could be only 6 cents per minute. Good luck!

Thank you so much! How can I put money on the account? Is there a different way other than jpay and ecomm I am not familiar with? I will call the facility then. Kinda scared the warden gonna get annoyed with me lol

Last edited by Diamond4u; 08-08-2020 at 06:17 PM..
Old 08-08-2020, 06:19 PM

What does 'call collect' mean?
Old 08-08-2020, 10:33 PM
Site Moderator

Thanked 23,901 Times in 8,400 Posts

Quote:
What does 'call collect' mean?
It means an account that you have put money into and when he calls, the funds are deducted from that account.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Diamond4u (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 03:43 AM

Hi thank u! What kind of account? What is the website associated?
Old 08-09-2020, 08:39 PM
TDCJ hand

Thanked 1,407 Times in 770 Posts

Unfortunately overseas phone calls are not allowed
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TDCJ hand For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (08-10-2020), patchouli (08-09-2020)