Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Donation Award 

Default Going To Lexington Medical Center

I am completely thrown, I thought I would be going to Alderson. So I've done alot of research about Alderson and asked a million questions about that camp, then today, I found out I'm actually going to Lexington, Can somebody please give me any information about this place?? I know they have a women's camp next to the Medical Center which is where I'll be (in the womens camp) but if anybody could share with me what this place is like or just anything I would really appreciate it. I understand that anybody with a medical condition goes there and that has me really nervous. Please help!!!! I ss March 26, 2009

Thanks
Wendy

Last edited by IntheProcess; 03-02-2009 at 04:59 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2009, 05:27 PM
-----------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,104 Posts

The womens camp is not a medical facility at all. You dont have to have a medical problem to be designated there. I was at the Mens Medical facility and only a small portion of that is Medical. LOL Medical inmates dont all have "Cooties."

I also had a friend who was pretty active on PTO for a while who was at the womens camp. It's a very old and dingy facility but it is what you make it. I believe there are only 150 or so inmates there. There were problems in the past with some of the CO's and Sexual Abuse but the FBI came in and took care of that from what I understand.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:20 PM

My daughter was there for 5 months and had no problems whatsoever. It is an old facility - reminds me of a college dorm on an old campus. The time went by quickly and, as you had read many times, it is what you make of it. MYOB is the first rule of any facility, of course. If you want specific answers to questions, let me know. You will be fine!
The Following User Says Thank You to MESLS For This Useful Post:
IntheProcess (03-04-2009)
Old 03-04-2009, 02:40 PM

I just returned from there in November of 2008. I was in Tallahassee FCI for a short time before that (thought I was going to Alderson too). You will be fine. I can put you in touch with some great folks in Lexington..... Like MESLS said, it's similar to old college dorm..........and there are probably 250 women there....but it's not a bad place at all. Everything is what you make it....and you will find what you look for. I'll answer any questions you have the best I can... I was a GED tutor/instructor while there.
The Following User Says Thank You to tornadoday For This Useful Post:
IntheProcess (03-04-2009)
Old 03-07-2009, 01:44 PM

Lexington is home for me, the city not the prison. Although, every week the prison visiting room is feeling more and more like home.
I see the women out running the track when I walk into the med center (where my man is NOT a medical inmate) and really all I know about the camp is that they have visiting on weekends, they can see the male inmates on the yard, they wear a green uniform that look sorta like scrubs to me and they can greet their visitors at the car. I don't know why, but that's a big point of jealousy among the male inmates lol. They want to walk out to the parking lot and meet us too. Ummm....what else can I tell you?...like all camps they do a lot of maintenance around the prison grounds (landscaping, picking up garbage, etc.)
The facility itself is old. In the 1800s it was renowned nationwide as a cutting edge drug rehab center. But that was the 1800s! I can also tell you based on a recent visit that it has the biggest roaches I have ever seen in my life! I saw it from across the room, like 40 feet away! Me and my favorite CO (doesn't say much in that crowd lol, but he's great) were joking about them the other day. I asked him why their roaches are so huge and he said "I know! They're the width of my hand. We gotta feed em steroids cuz who else is gonna protect us when the sh*t goes down?!" lmao

So I hope someone else has a lot more info for you. I have talked to a few women on pto that did time there, so you will find help I'm sure. Good luck, and welcome to KY! (Just wish it was under better circumstances)
The Following User Says Thank You to T'sBabygirl For This Useful Post:
IntheProcess (03-08-2009)
Old 03-07-2009, 01:57 PM
-----------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'sBabygirl View Post
The facility itself is old. In the 1800s it was renowned nationwide as a cutting edge drug rehab center. But that was the 1800s! I can also tell you based on a recent visit that it has the biggest roaches I have ever seen in my life! I saw it from across the room, like 40 feet away! Me and my favorite CO (doesn't say much in that crowd lol, but he's great) were joking about them the other day. I asked him why their roaches are so huge and he said "I know! They're the width of my hand. We gotta feed em steroids cuz who else is gonna protect us when the sh*t goes down?!" lmao
LOL 1800's is pushing it a little. I spent a while there. It was actually built in 1935 during the Roosevelt era and was called "The Narcotics Farm". It was turned into a BOP facility in 1974, I believe. At one point it was actually a coed facility
Old 03-07-2009, 02:11 PM

ok fine. But it looks 1800s. lol
I admit my research was more focused on the now. I would like to retract my statement.
(Also I don't even think KY was a state in the early 1800s...lol) I'm sure some blueblood will be all over that telling me when we became a state and how we're not actually a state but a commonwealth....blah blah blah.

Aaaaaaaaaaanyway...my point stands. IT'S OLD! And it looks it. Like a big old castle on the top of the hill. You really can't missing when driving down Leestown Road. Actually, if you google map 3101 Leestown Rd, Lexington KY 40512 and click on the street view, you'll see what I see when I drive up. And you can see the womens camp building on the front left pretty clearly. Maybe you'll feel a little more at ease if you see it first.
The Following User Says Thank You to T'sBabygirl For This Useful Post:
IntheProcess (03-08-2009)
Old 06-15-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadoday View Post
I just returned from there in November of 2008. I was in Tallahassee FCI for a short time before that (thought I was going to Alderson too). You will be fine. I can put you in touch with some great folks in Lexington..... Like MESLS said, it's similar to old college dorm..........and there are probably 250 women there....but it's not a bad place at all. Everything is what you make it....and you will find what you look for. I'll answer any questions you have the best I can... I was a GED tutor/instructor while there.
is there air conditioning and how do you get a job as a tutor
Old 06-22-2019, 01:30 PM

From what I hear, some units have AC but most do not. They house a lot of low security prisoners there that have no medical need to be in an FMC but there are beds open.