Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:31 AM

Thanked 1,572 Times in 654 Posts
Default VPASS Being Hacked?

Over the last couple of years I experience near impossiblity getting a VPASS appointment.

At first, I thought it was just a supply / demand problem with one facility. That was Salinas Valley. I now experience it with Pleasant Valley. Reading posts I see others might be experiencing it at some other prisons.

The problem. Facility opens VPASS for appointment. Be it Sunday, Monday, one week in advance, two weeks in advance, whatever. You log on a few minutes ahead. You wait. The second it opens you get an appointment. If you are as little as 15 seconds late, all appointments are gone. That is always the case for both visiting days (Saturday and Sunday). Gone within 15 seconds of opening no matter what.

Yet other facilities you can book 3 or 4 or 5 DAYS after opening and get an appointment no problem. So while this is sort of a facility specific problem, I wonder it is spreading.

A facility would certainly have 100 to 200 appointments available per weekend. Maybe people are just that aggressive and / or that coordinated with VPASS at these few facilities. I have my doubts, just think it is not possible for all those slots to go that fast unless the system has been hacked. I don't know for sure why someone would hack VPASS, I have my opinions why and none of them are good. I have become convinced something wrong is happening though.

Over the last year or so I have talked to a couple of visiting guards trying to explain what I believe is a problem in their VPASS system. Hoping they "might" take note and look into it. They just shrug their shoulders which tells me they do not understand what I am asking and / or they do not give a shit.

A problem that might be coming to a prison near you??

I am wondering how many others on our thread experience the same? SVSP and PVSP are problems. Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2019, 10:53 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,592 Times in 15,773 Posts

I never did the vpass thing.
But I will say I used to just sob, every single sunday. Being on the phone for 2 hrs straight redialing over and over and over again. In 13 months time, I only managed to get 2 appts to visit. Even with my cell and my home phone, my son's cell, his girlfriends cell.
Then I'd see folks getting appts, all the time. ALL the time. (on pto I mean I see them posting they got in again......used to crush me)

(back then you had to call for reception appts. No walk in's.)
I never figured out how they did it.

So I hear ya on trying to figure it out.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 11:31 AM

I hear ya on them clogging phone lines back in the pre-VPASS day. Frustrating.

A hacker could run their little program and soon as VPASS opens for the facility it drops all the appointments on their computer. That's the kind of exposure online services are susceptible to. What I see for a while now makes me wonder. No way I can say for sure, but if something has hacked it, what they do with those appointments can be for not legit purposes. And only CDCR IT people could fix it.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:44 PM

I donít think itís being hacked. I think itís the transfer of all of the SHU inmates to lower facilities. In 2016 we were fortunate enough to start seeing our loved ones in person. Many families had no way to make the drive to Crescent City for a 3-hour behind glass visit. If you have never had the luxury of visiting the Bay, you are lucky. As someone who has been to numerous juvenile and adult facilities in California (and other states), this was by far the worst Iíve ever been to as far as processing. So I know personally, the visiting rooms started overfilling during this transition. The facilities you have mentioned, Salinas, CTF, Calipatria, Centinela... these are where they went. Close to home and their families are finally able to make up for 10, 15, 20 years of no visits.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:57 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 23,175 Times in 8,183 Posts

All 3 facilities I've visited have been this way. All appts gone in under a minute. Part of the problem has been people taking the max number of appointments per reservation and then not using them or giving them to friends. There is no punitive measure for that. The other issue they have tried to crack down on is people using multiple accounts to take spots and then selling them. I'm going to say this as plainly as possible: those people deserve to have their privileges revoked. That is sick.
I don't know if it's all facilities, but those using multiple accounts at our facility will have their visit revoked for that day. Small stop gap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (11-27-2019), sidewalker (11-28-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 08:17 PM

I learned that some folks book then cancel at the last min!!! They hog all the weekends then cancel if they don't show!
Old 11-26-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studebaker71 View Post
I learned that some folks book then cancel at the last min!!! They hog all the weekends then cancel if they don't show!

Yes. I think a lot of people do that. Not fair at all. I bet if you had to put down a deposit for a visit it wouldnít be like this. But people would have issue with that too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to His_Queen13 For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (11-27-2019), studebaker71 (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by His_Queen13 View Post
Yes. I think a lot of people do that. Not fair at all. I bet if you had to put down a deposit for a visit it wouldnít be like this. But people would have issue with that too.
Yeah that would be a deal breaker haha
Old 11-27-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Part of the problem has been people taking the max number of appointments per reservation and then not using them or giving them to friends. There is no punitive measure for that. The other issue they have tried to crack down on is people using multiple accounts to take spots and then selling them. I'm going to say this as plainly as possible: those people deserve to have their privileges revoked. That is sick.
New people showing up at some prisons from wherever could cause a spike in demand. Same with booking and not showing whether or not you cancel. But those alone do not explain the magnitude of the problem.

It is possible the BS behaviors above could explain it. There would have to be a group of idiots doing it. A half dozen or so with multiple accounts grabbing max slots with each account than selling appointments - or whatever it is they do - could cause a lot of damage. Screwing things for everyone else. If that is the issue, balls to those people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by His_Queen13 View Post
I bet if you had to put down a deposit for a visit it wouldnít be like this. But people would have issue with that too.
That is an interesting suggestion, Refunded if you show for your appointment but you pay for every single appointment that doesn't show. Impose a deadline for refundable cancellations; maybe early Friday morning. You reserve 5 appointments and only one shows up, you just paid for the other 4.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (11-27-2019), sidewalker (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 07:55 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,592 Times in 15,773 Posts

**The other issue they have tried to crack down on is people using multiple accounts to take spots and then selling them.***

I was talking with a former coworker about this similar thing going on with the CA DMV.
People taking the appts and selling them to people. Unreal.

totally agree if this crap is happening, those folks do not deserve to ever visit. Sorry thats just how I feel about it.

And I know its not popular but I DO like the idea of a deposit for a visit, refunded when you show up. Any funds leftover could go toward maybe new items in the visit rooms, or books for their library (something like that)

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (11-28-2019)