Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Texas Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 11-05-2019, 02:42 PM

Question 60-90 days in ISF: What to Expect: Can he jpay yet? Can he call?

Hi everybody... I've read this forum since my boyfriend got arrested on 9/23/2019 and it has been the most helpful tool I have found, but still have some questions that hopefully someone can help me with. I apologize in advance for such a long read.

He got arrested for a parole violation and didn't have any new charges. He waived his right to meeting with the parole board and got 60-90 days in ISF. He was in county until Friday, 11/1/2019, and they transferred him. He wasn't in the TDCJ system (and no one could tell me where he was supposedly) until early this morning. I found he has been transferred to the Middleton Transfer Unit.

I have sent him a JPay this morning to let him know I miss him and everything, but will he get it yet?
I've set up my phone and am just waiting on final approval from TDCJ (which should be 24 hours).
I am unable to get him commissary currently, but I put $10 in his trust fund. I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but he always told me don't put anything on there because he saw a doctor and they'll just take it. Is this true? I just want him to be able to get stamps to write me. I bought 10 stamps on JPay when I wrote him this morning, is he able to write me back using those stamps?
I have read that intake can take awhile and he can't call me during that time, is that right?
Since it is such a short time he has been "sentenced" to ISF, will he stay at Middleton more than likely? I'm scared to write physical letters in fear that he might not receive them, if transferred again.

Is there anything else I can do? This is my first time going through this, but not his. He has helped me along this far, but since he can't reach out to me, I'm flying blind here. Thank you for any help!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2019, 05:48 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 5,875 Times in 1,556 Posts

He's eligible for indigent mail supplies if he has less than $5 on his books. I'm surprised to hear he's at Middleton. I'd of thought he'd be at someplace like Baten ISF up near Amarillo. Give him time to get settled. You'll hear from him.
4Bobby (11-06-2019), demeyerm85 (11-06-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 06:06 PM
Until the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by demeyerm85 View Post
Hi everybody... I've read this forum since my boyfriend got arrested on 9/23/2019 and it has been the most helpful tool I have found, but still have some questions that hopefully someone can help me with. I apologize in advance for such a long read.

He got arrested for a parole violation and didn't have any new charges. He waived his right to meeting with the parole board and got 60-90 days in ISF. He was in county until Friday, 11/1/2019, and they transferred him. He wasn't in the TDCJ system (and no one could tell me where he was supposedly) until early this morning. I found he has been transferred to the Middleton Transfer Unit.

I have sent him a JPay this morning to let him know I miss him and everything, but will he get it yet?
I've set up my phone and am just waiting on final approval from TDCJ (which should be 24 hours).
I am unable to get him commissary currently, but I put $10 in his trust fund. I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but he always told me don't put anything on there because he saw a doctor and they'll just take it. Is this true? I just want him to be able to get stamps to write me. I bought 10 stamps on JPay when I wrote him this morning, is he able to write me back using those stamps?
I have read that intake can take awhile and he can't call me during that time, is that right?
Since it is such a short time he has been "sentenced" to ISF, will he stay at Middleton more than likely? I'm scared to write physical letters in fear that he might not receive them, if transferred again.

Is there anything else I can do? This is my first time going through this, but not his. He has helped me along this far, but since he can't reach out to me, I'm flying blind here. Thank you for any help!
You can transfer jpay stamps into his account directly, or you can hit the "include inmate reply" button before you send it.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:18 AM
Green Eyed Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor611 View Post
You can transfer jpay stamps into his account directly, or you can hit the "include inmate reply" button before you send it.
Texas doesn't allow them to JPay back. They have to reply snail mail.

The Following User Says Thank You to 4Bobby For This Useful Post:
demeyerm85 (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 08:24 AM
Green Eyed Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by demeyerm85 View Post

They typically get a JPay within a couple of hours. My husband's unit always said within 24 hours.

Even though your phone may already be approved he will have to wait on the voiceprint people in order to call. Once that is set up he will be good to go.

I don't know about them taking money for the doctor, we have not experienced that. Hopefully someone will come along that has the answer to that question.

TDCJ allows it's inmates to receive email via JPay but they cannot email back. His reply will have to be snail mail. The first week my husband was in he was able to get some indigent supplies, including envelopes and stamps so that he could write his loved ones.

I don't have experience with intake, my LO is in SAFP and they do not have the same intake process.

I can't answer your question about his stay at Middleton but I can tell you that if he is transferred or moved to another unit his mail will follow. As long as he is in the system they will forward the mail to whatever unit he ends up in.

Hope I was helpful and welcome!

The Following User Says Thank You to 4Bobby For This Useful Post:
demeyerm85 (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 09:41 AM

Thank you everyone for your answers. I was surprised they sent him to a transfer unit also, but I checked the system again this morning and he's already been transferred to the Rudd unit. That's the fastest I've ever seen this system do something. I'm going to send off letters today, so hopefully he gets them. Thank you for the encouraging words.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:44 PM

Hello All. My LO just got to Middleton last Thursday and his release date is scheduled for 10/20/20. Does the fact that it's a transfer unit mean he'll get moved again shortly? Or can we expect for him to be there for the duration of his sentence? Also, about how long will it take for him to be able to call me? This is my first time going through this as well. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:13 AM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

I'm a bit confused. Is he there as a parole violator or is he newly sentenced and starting a prison sentence? Either way, Middleton is usually the first stop along the way. A few months and he'll be somewhere else if he follows the normal path that most of us are faced with. Give him a couple of weeks to make contact. It may not take that long, once he gets situated/settled down you'll hear from him.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:00 PM

He's there is newly sentenced. He got 2 yrs on 10/24 but I guess was given back time for the time he sat in County. So from the release date, it looks like he'll only be in TDCJ for a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
I'm a bit confused. Is he there as a parole violator or is he newly sentenced and starting a prison sentence? Either way, Middleton is usually the first stop along the way. A few months and he'll be somewhere else if he follows the normal path that most of us are faced with. Give him a couple of weeks to make contact. It may not take that long, once he gets situated/settled down you'll hear from him.
The Following User Says Thank You to NikkiWilliams For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-28-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 04:09 AM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiWilliams View Post
He's there is newly sentenced. He got 2 yrs on 10/24 but I guess was given back time for the time he sat in County. So from the release date, it looks like he'll only be in TDCJ for a year.
He'll be home before you know it. A year is not that long. Could be the best year of his life if he'll make good of the situation. Hope everything goes well for you both
dtmom2013 (11-29-2019)