Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:51 PM

Default Son at FCI Elkton, trying to get him back to Kentucky & FMC Lexington

My son is currently incarcerated at FCI Elkton in Northeast Ohio, even though FMC in Lexington is a medical facility, I heard that they also have a general population of inmates as well. Just trying to get him back in KY. Any info on this ? Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2019, 08:35 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 36,156 Times in 16,662 Posts

FMC Lexington, according to the BOP page is an administrative security federal medical center, no mention of general population. But they do have a camp.

FCI Manchester, again, according to their BOP page, is a medium security federal correctional institution. They also have a camp.

Big Sandy is a USP & High Security.

Does your son qualify for camp status?

Here is a link to BOP's webpage: https://www.bop.gov/

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 11-27-2019, 06:16 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,974 Times in 13,211 Posts

The federal medical center probably has a "work cadre" of general program inmates assigned there too.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:19 AM
Owned

Thanked 4,405 Times in 1,991 Posts

The camp is for females only.
fbopnomore (11-27-2019), patchouli (11-27-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogs4life21 View Post
My son is currently incarcerated at FCI Elkton in Northeast Ohio, even though FMC in Lexington is a medical facility, I heard that they also have a general population of inmates as well. Just trying to get him back in KY. Any info on this ? Thanks,

My son is also at Elkton down at the FSL. He has been there for 9 months now. I wish there were someplace closer to home but there isn't. Drive time is just under 4 hours one way so we spend the night at a local hotel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Living Hell For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-28-2019), patchouli (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 09:08 AM
Owned

Thanked 4,405 Times in 1,991 Posts

Oops!

I meant the camp at Lexington FMC is for females.

Also, all FMCs have people there for NON-medical reasons; they are the ones that do the work - landscaping, cleaning, kitchen although many with medical problems are assigned jobs too.

Lexington is FMC is primarily a mental health facility, but like all FMCs health care is, at best, minimal.

I understand you want him nearer home, but Elkton is most likely a far easier place to do his time. Lexington is very old, most of it has no A/C and is run as a higher security level.

The area IS beautiful though.
patchouli (11-28-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 08:56 PM

FMC Lexington has a general population as well as medical. My friend is there now. I believe they have a couple of wings that are for general population although I know for a fact that some guys in his "area" are there for medical (non-mental health). I'm not sure about the level but I think it is run as a medium. My friend was designated as a camp level and so we wait for a transfer, which neither one of us believe will happen before he gets out.

I second the fact that Lexington is a really old facility and yes there are a couple of wings that have AC but most of the facility does not. Everyone buys fans I hear to help with the heat. But if he is there in the summer the visitation room is well air conditioned. It's not a horrible place as there are worse places to go but there are some better too.

Just let me know if you have other questions. I have limited knowledge as I have only visited once but going again soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Libertyloo For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-03-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 03:47 PM

My brother is recently been moved to FCI Manchester medium. I am hoping to find info. on sending him books. Does anyone know the requirements there? or possibly where would be willing to sent to a federal prison. I would appreciate any info. on this you can offer. thank you all for your time.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:36 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,974 Times in 13,211 Posts

Here is a link to the bop's FCI Manchester web page with the inmate mailing address and other helpful information.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/man/

Since it is a medium security FCI prison, all books (hard and soft covers) must arrive in the US Mail from either the publisher or a bookstore, If he is ever assigned to the minimum security satellite "camp", paperbacks can be mailed directly from home, but hardbacked books still have to be sent by the publisher or bookstore. No UPS or FEDEX deliveries either, so if you order from Amazon or B&N, make sure the package is sent through the post office. The first line of the mailing address must include his name, and bop ID number (xxxxx-xxx).