Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 02-23-2005, 03:54 PM

Default County Jail versus Home Arrest

For over the past year and a half, I have found strength, courage, and hope on PTO, but for some reason never had the inclination to actually post anything because I was sorting things out at the time on my own regarding my court case, and partly because I was still unclear what would become of me in terms of sentencing--it seemed there were numerous directions that my case could take.

Today, I have a better idea of the outcome of my 1st time offense which involves a non-violent (non-drug related) crime. Forgive me if this is the wrong section of the PTO forums to make such a post, but i need input to help me to decide between a year of county jail versus home arrest with electronic monitoring. It would seem like a clear choice, but it's a bit more complicated than face value. I am in Los Angeles County and the county jails are, as I am informed by my council, over packed such that they are releasing non-violent offenders after serving approximately 10% of their time. Alternatively, I could serve out my sentence under home arrest which in theory can be shortened down to 8 months.

I realize this question is not directly related to prison, but I am hoping PTO members out there can give me some insight on life in jail. How dangerous is county jail? I'm not a physically strong guy, so I am wondering if a guy like me can go through 4-6 weeks of county jail relatively unharmed. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that people in jail are there for the short term and are probably just as worried as I am and hoping to survive the ordeal without getting into trouble with anyone.

What is the situation in jail? If the jail is over crowded, do I end up sleeping on the ground? What are the likely and unlikely dangers I will have to face?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to "BetterDaysAhead"
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2005, 04:01 PM

Well, I had ankle monitor in Solano County. It was way better than the two weeks I spent in county. Your able to work and go to school. They give you time to go to the doctor, grocery shopping and after a month they give you 6hrs of free time.(Make sure you check with the county first). I was able to be home with my babe and our kids. I just rented movies and did all my homework. The bad thing about it is that it's expensive. I paid 115.00 a week but I heard it's cheaper in some counties. If I had to do time this is how would do it because jail is no where for a human to live. The choice is yours.Also I had six months to do and I went back in front of the judge after 72 days and she took it off for me due to good behavior. I was just blessed. The jails are overcrowded all over 150% and they may let you go home early but try to get it in writting because I would hate for you to be stuck up in there for 8mths. Good Luck and I will keep you in my prayers!
Old 02-23-2005, 04:06 PM
Our Wedding:June 14, 2008

Honestly Jail is Hell!!!! I would take tether IMMEDIATLEY!!!!!even though you'd be stuck in your house..at least you can sleep in your own bed, eat w/e the heck you want! and wear what you want..no body pissin you off, or anything!!!! BUT. then again this is your decision and your time in. THis is my .02!!!!
WE'RE PREGNANT!
Old 02-23-2005, 04:18 PM

Dear BTRodriguez,
Thanks for this wealth of information.

I did not realize there was a weekly expense for home monitoring. ON the upside, I also did not realize I could be given time to go to work, school, etc..and 6 hours of free time each month. I'm sure priviledges vary by individual case, but it's great to know that there could be some flexibility.

You have given me a ton to think about in just one posting. I do have some new questions since reading your information:
1. How were you able to manage to go back to the judge after 72 days at which time she reduced your sentence based on your good behavior? Was it managed my you attorney or did you have to put in a special request or fill out a form?

2. How big is the ankle monitor? Is it obvious if you wear pants over it?

You mentioned that "Jail is no where for a human to live." I am wondering if you could expand upon that for me with a detailed description of life inside county Jail.

I hope you'll have time to answer my questions.

Thanks again.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:30 PM
D'OH Member

Hi BetterDaysAhead

Welcome to PTO!

I'm going to move your thread onto the Main CA forum where you will get many more responses and views. PTO is experiancing some technical difficulties after our migration to a new server. Although it appears no one has responded to you thread, they may well have, so check back often. Also if you would like to post a new introduction thread, our members would love to come by an say hello and welcome.

Richard
PTO Forum Leader

Last edited by RPinSD; 02-23-2005 at 04:42 PM..
Old 02-23-2005, 09:37 PM
Donation Award 

It all depends if you can afford the ankle moniter or not. If you have to serve a year and your not serving time on a violent felony you'll probably end up working and staying at one of the Sheriff's Department. My son did 6 or 8 months at the North Hollywood station and it was totally cool. Or you will end up at Wayside working in the kitchen, ect and it's not bad. ( my son has been there too!! )

KellyA.