Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > DELAWARE Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

DELAWARE Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Delaware - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, Visitation, Phones, mail, News & Information, etc.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Donation Award 

Red face Updated information 2008 Gander Hill-HRYCI

I came to this board a few months ago to find out information about the Delaware system. I realized that it had grown stagnant over time. Most of the information is at least 2 years old - some even older. I've learned some information that I hope helps someone else out so they don't have to learn it the way I did, the hard way.

This pertains to Howard R. Young, or better known as Gander Hill, in Wilmington.

PHONE CALLS-
HRYCI exclusively uses VERIZON as there collect call carrier. If you do not have Verizon as a home phone you will NOT be able to receive a collect call. When you answer the phone a pre-recorded message will say, "This is a call from the Howard R Young Correctional Facility. This call is from an inmate named ____. If you would like to accept this call please dial 5 now. The use of 3 way calling or call waiting will disconnect this call. This call will be recorded and monitored." As soon as the message is done playing you can start talking. You will get a 1 minute warning and then you will be cut off. The inmate has to submit your number to a list before he can make his first call. I didn't know I needed to have land line. I expected that since I had a verizon cell phone I would be able to get a call. You cannot accept collect calls on a cell phone. Once I had the home phone installed my man tried to add my number to his list but they told him that they only update lists in March, June, September, and December. He wrote a letter to someone (sorry not sure who) and told them there had been a mix up with numbers. Fortunately mine was added the beginning of February. I recently bought call forwarding for my house line and am forwarding it to my cell so I can get calls when I'm not home. I just installed it yesterday so I'm still waiting to see if it works.

If your loved one is in protective custody they will only be able to call you once every other day. They are in lock down for 2 straight days and then are let out for one hour. During this time they are allowed to make one 15 minute phone call (even if they get disconnected due to a faulty phone.) For the rest of the hour they can take a shower and then they must clean their cell. If they are out on Sunday morning, for example, they will get out again on Tuesday evening, Thursday morning, Saturday evening and so forth.

If your loved one is in work pod they can call as many times a day as they can get a phone as long as there is 1 hour between calls. It is typically harder to get a phone in these locations as there are more people trying to make calls and about 4 phones. You have to shout because the phone quality on their end is terrible and the phones are located in the recreation area where everyone else is fooling around.

Visits-
He was allowed one 1-hour visit each week.

Mail-
The first week every letter I wrote was thrown in the trash because I did not include a return address on my letters. All mail must have a return address. Address the envelope to, Their name, SBI #, HRYCI, PO Box 9561, Wilmington, DE 19809.
They can receive 5 books a month. They must be paperback - NO hardcovers, leather, or vinyl bound, no spirals. They must come directly from a publisher not an individual and must have an invoice. I have not had any trouble with Amazon or Borders. I'm going to post a whole post on mail since it is such a big topic.

Setting Up An Account-
After they are incarcerated for a few days, see if you can call and get their SBI #. We didn't know what to do so we just waited to receive a collect call which I wasn't able to get because I didn't have a home phone- WHAT A MESS! Anyway, once you have their SBI number you can get a money order for up to $500.00. They cannot have more than that in their accounts. Fill the money order out to them with their first and last name followed by SBI#------, for the address fill in HRYCI's address. Put this in the mail. Address the envelope the same way as above to the inmate. The mail room will open it and send it to the business office. You want to set up their account as soon as you can so they can take care of their personal hygiene.

I hope this helps you. I would of loved to have this information. It would have saved me money and a lot of lost sleep.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Delchick For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (05-05-2016), kymber281624 (07-30-2011), lush.grrl (03-08-2010), shybaby32 (09-13-2008)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Donation Award 

MAIL

PROHIBITED MAIL
loose address labels or stickers (I use a return address label on my letters and that's fine)
Lottery/Gambling/Contest Sweepstakes
excessive puzzles or coloring pages -limit 2
inmate to inmate mail
stickers, glitter, confetti, white out
stationary items (they have to buy it from the commisary)
lyrics
exceeds 1,000 pages
intoxicants displayed
promotes racial hatred
exceeds 4x6 photo limit
carbon paper
nude photos
food stamps
advocates riots/insurrection/escape
maps/transportation schedule
internet material
calendar too big - must be desk size
blank cards or postcards
food items
glue or adhesives
perfume, cologne, scented items
tobacco or tobacco products
photo copies
graphic/detailed sexual behavior
hardback/leather/vinyl bound
advocates drugs
glorifies murder/ sex crimes/ gangs
exceeds 25 photo limit during incarceration
blank greeting card
semi nude photos including babies and children
gang signs/ symbols/ hand gestures
need prior approval/ no approval on file
survival information
welfare or social security checks
obscene/ offending jokes
cash or checks
gel pens/ metallic ink/ paint
lipstick/ bodily fluids
polaroid picture
postal stamps for inmate use
inappropriate poses
violent content
weapons
advocates violence
exceeds 8.5 x 11 paper limits
construction paper
sexual explicit material
displaying excessive cash
unknown substance on paper
letter/ item confiscated
not conducive to rehab
altered/ scratched out/ endorsed
cut up photo

Mail Requirements-
Acceptable items for US Mail delivery to inmates/detainees include; letters, money orders, cashier's checks, photographs, newspaper or magazine clippings pertaining to your case, legal documents forwarded by your attorney or licensed legal counsel, written documents for your signature (Power of Attorney). Only 5 books/magazines allowed in 30 day time span. All books/magazines must be shipped by publisher or reputable book store with a shipping invoice.

No inmate may establish or conduct business during his or her period of incarceration.

All incoming letters and parcels must include a return address, inmates committed name, SBI#, and correct institutional address. If any of these items are not met, letter or parcel will be stamped refused and returned to the USPS to be handled according to USPS regulations. It is the inmates responsibility to notify senders of authorized and allowed items.

All items considered contraband will result in the envelope/package and its entire contents being returned to senders return address or forwarded to be investigated for criminal violations.

Anu unauthorized items received via private carrier_UPS, FED EX, AIRBOURNE) must be removed from faciltiy within 5 days of notification. A pay-to MUST be submitted with sufficient funds available to send item out; otherwise items will be disposed of in accordance with policy.

1 watch per year. Must be completely hard plastic (band, case, plastic crystal) brand new with hour/second hands shipped with original store receipt valued less than $30.00, no hand receipts, no games, calculators, remotes, digital displays, or devices. One kufi per 6 months, replacement on a 1 for 1 basis. 1 prayer rug per year, replacement on a 1 for 1 basis.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delchick For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (05-05-2016), Ravishingmz (12-14-2013)
Old 02-19-2008, 11:20 PM

Default Updated Information

Thank you for your hardwork ; had to let you know someone will need that info. see it, and be very greatful. I am new here, as of today. Posts are all so old, as you noticed. My son in Delaware Correctional Center as of a few days ago. You know anything about them, other then what is available on the DCC site, and cut/pasted in Prison talk. Do you know any placed on-line that I can view recent posts, receive support and eventually give. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to trmaster For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (05-05-2016)
Old 03-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Donation Award 

Sorry, I don't know much about DCC. I have heard that it is better than Gander if that is any consolation. I know someone that has a family member there now if you have any specific questions I could ask them for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Delchick For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (05-05-2016)
Old 03-27-2008, 02:22 PM

Does anyone know how to get an inmates SBI number? I called Gander and they said that I have to get it from the prisoner and I have no way of going about doing that. Could I use his birthday instead of his number or what can I do? If anyone has anyhelp thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to xoxo86 For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (05-05-2016)
Old 03-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Donation Award 

Default That's a tough one...

Is there anyway that you can get his number from a family member? I asked a few people. They said that the person would have to call or write to someone on the outside first and give their number to you. Then you can write or schedule a visit. I don't think Delaware participates in the locator programs.

I wonder if it would be possible for his attorney to visit him and get the number for you. Our attorney said he could get as many appointments as he needed and it's not based on the standard visit each week.

I'm sorry that I couldn't help you out more.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:41 PM

Default SBI Number

You can get the SBI Number from calling the prison or by calling the visitor line.
The Following User Says Thank You to shandlin1 For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (05-05-2016)
Old 06-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Baka

Also, if you know th birthdate, they can give you the SBI. Anyone know details about JTVCC in Smyrna? My fiance' is there, but it's so many scenarios to deal with- like what "level" you're on determines which building you stay in...and which building you're in determines how many phone calls you calls you can have. It's a mess! He tries to break it down, but if someone has an overrall summary, that'd be GREAT!
The Following User Says Thank You to bakanski For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (05-05-2016)
Old 08-07-2009, 06:10 PM

Default thanks for the help

Hi,
thanks so much for all of the useful information on gander hill. It is virtually impossible to get any info from them, even on the "info" line. thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delchick View Post
MAIL

PROHIBITED MAIL
loose address labels or stickers (I use a return address label on my letters and that's fine)
Lottery/Gambling/Contest Sweepstakes
excessive puzzles or coloring pages -limit 2
inmate to inmate mail
stickers, glitter, confetti, white out
stationary items (they have to buy it from the commisary)
lyrics
exceeds 1,000 pages
intoxicants displayed
promotes racial hatred
exceeds 4x6 photo limit
carbon paper
nude photos
food stamps
advocates riots/insurrection/escape
maps/transportation schedule
internet material
calendar too big - must be desk size
blank cards or postcards
food items
glue or adhesives
perfume, cologne, scented items
tobacco or tobacco products
photo copies
graphic/detailed sexual behavior
hardback/leather/vinyl bound
advocates drugs
glorifies murder/ sex crimes/ gangs
exceeds 25 photo limit during incarceration
blank greeting card
semi nude photos including babies and children
gang signs/ symbols/ hand gestures
need prior approval/ no approval on file
survival information
welfare or social security checks
obscene/ offending jokes
cash or checks
gel pens/ metallic ink/ paint
lipstick/ bodily fluids
polaroid picture
postal stamps for inmate use
inappropriate poses
violent content
weapons
advocates violence
exceeds 8.5 x 11 paper limits
construction paper
sexual explicit material
displaying excessive cash
unknown substance on paper
letter/ item confiscated
not conducive to rehab
altered/ scratched out/ endorsed
cut up photo

Mail Requirements-
Acceptable items for US Mail delivery to inmates/detainees include; letters, money orders, cashier's checks, photographs, newspaper or magazine clippings pertaining to your case, legal documents forwarded by your attorney or licensed legal counsel, written documents for your signature (Power of Attorney). Only 5 books/magazines allowed in 30 day time span. All books/magazines must be shipped by publisher or reputable book store with a shipping invoice.

No inmate may establish or conduct business during his or her period of incarceration.

All incoming letters and parcels must include a return address, inmates committed name, SBI#, and correct institutional address. If any of these items are not met, letter or parcel will be stamped refused and returned to the USPS to be handled according to USPS regulations. It is the inmates responsibility to notify senders of authorized and allowed items.

All items considered contraband will result in the envelope/package and its entire contents being returned to senders return address or forwarded to be investigated for criminal violations.

Anu unauthorized items received via private carrier_UPS, FED EX, AIRBOURNE) must be removed from faciltiy within 5 days of notification. A pay-to MUST be submitted with sufficient funds available to send item out; otherwise items will be disposed of in accordance with policy.

1 watch per year. Must be completely hard plastic (band, case, plastic crystal) brand new with hour/second hands shipped with original store receipt valued less than $30.00, no hand receipts, no games, calculators, remotes, digital displays, or devices. One kufi per 6 months, replacement on a 1 for 1 basis. 1 prayer rug per year, replacement on a 1 for 1 basis.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:26 PM

Default Quick question...

My best friend was recently incarcerated at Gander Hill. He sent me a letter with his contact information; he included an SID number... is that the SBI number you're talking about?

I really appreciate all the information you posted; this will help me immensely as I am several hundred miles away in south Louisiana, and can't be there physically for him.
The Following User Says Thank You to lush.grrl For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (05-05-2016)
Old 08-03-2014, 06:08 PM

If u call at like 2 or 3 in the morning and get a nice c/o he will ask u a few things and will give it to u or u can call record office and they can give it to u or all inmates have a counselor u could ask her or him to have the inmate call u from there office to give u the info it will be a regular call so they give them a chance to call u after court to. Hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to ldunfee For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 05:55 PM

Oh i was searching for good info for a friend of mine whose man just was being as of tonight she saying moved from horrible James T. Vaughn Correctional Ctr., in Smyrna,DE, to a facility Howard "GANDER in Wilmington, so i am here just trying to find her as much as i can for her. But i think she will be disappointed, that he can't call her as soon as she like.

I read here:
Gander/Howard only allow a new phone list MARCH?(followed by JUNE) well at least he can add her 2 home #s and or cell number or work phone on in three weeks in june. So i will definitely show her this. Hopefully he will be able to call her at least in a few days,or as this thread say within 2 days they can make at least 1 call. She do not have a verizon home number, but she has i think either magic jack, or like through her Optimum, Cable company i think." This info will still help her much. Thank you for posting it years ago. At least he say he will be able to write her tomorrow once there or weekend and send out for her Monday."
Good night.