Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > CAPITAL PUNISHMENT > Death Row & Capital Punishment Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Death Row & Capital Punishment Discussions Discussions relating to inmates on Death Row / facing capital punishment in the United States and abroad that don't fit into any of the other forums

Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM

PTO Moderator 

This is awful...it just gets worse and worse

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."-Nietzsche
Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM
batshit crazy

Default US judge temporarily blocks 2nd Arkansas execution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzout View Post
The State of Arkansas has already killed one man tonight, another sets waiting on 9 p,m
Its very sad to say the least.
US judge temporarily blocks 2nd Arkansas execution
Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM
attorney

Thanked 17,898 Times in 6,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_nox View Post
stay lifted, they are free to execute
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM
attorney

btw, if it had been successful, Mr. Williams would have survived the night by virtue of Mr. Jones's execution. Apparently it took Arkansas more than 45 minutes to set the IV into Mr. Jones, including at least one attempt into the neck. Since Mr. Williams weighs in at over 400 lbs, and the problem with Mr. Jones was his size, the argument was unduly cruel and painful.
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM
batshit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
btw, if it had been successful, Mr. Williams would have survived the night by virtue of Mr. Jones's execution. Apparently it took Arkansas more than 45 minutes to set the IV into Mr. Jones, including at least one attempt into the neck. Since Mr. Williams weighs in at over 400 lbs, and the problem with Mr. Jones was his size, the argument was unduly cruel and painful.
*sigh*
I put that link up one minute after it was released.

Ya know, this inability to place an IV is 100% due to whoever is attempting it not having a fn clue what they're doing. 45 minutes to find a vein? bullshit. Pure Incompetence. That right there should be reason for cruel and unusual.
The Following User Says Thank You to fiat_nox For This Useful Post:
Sinir.Fridyrr (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_nox View Post
*sigh*
I put that link up one minute after it was released.

Ya know, this inability to place an IV is 100% due to whoever is attempting it not having a fn clue what they're doing. 45 minutes to find a vein? bullshit. Pure Incompetence. That right there should be reason for cruel and unusual.
To be fair, Mr. Jones was over 350 lbs, had already lost a leg to diabetes, and was pretty vascularly compromised.

I suffered a vascular injury to my left arm as a result of my motorcycle accident. Combined with the 5 weeks of hospitalization, every subsequent surgery has resulted in some difficulty finding and keeping a vein. I can warn people up and down that there's a ton of scar tissue on veins with both arms, and most nurses disregard what I have to say until they are mandated by hospital policy to stop and get somebody else to try. And my veins were good until that point as I didn't have diabetes, worked out regularly, and was considered an "easy stick" (as my veins popped even without a tourniquet) prior to this whole thing. I now have a much greater appreciation for those with vascular problems including morbid obesity (which, while the veins might not be compromised, still makes it difficult to find them).

Details now are that they tried with Mr. Jones in the neck for 45 minutes before going elsewhere. By that, I'd figure they did a cut-down in his groin.

I also don't know the drug use of either man. IV use could lead to real problems and inmates in other states have been known to insert their own IV when it became too difficult to wait for a "pro" to do it right.
Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM
attorney

While I was writing that, news just came down that Mr. Williams has been executed
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
fiat_nox (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
I also don't know the drug use of either man. IV use could lead to real problems and inmates in other states have been known to insert their own IV when it became too difficult to wait for a "pro" to do it right.
This is spot on. My dad was a drug user and always offered to place his own. It caused him a great deal of pain watching nurses pass the needle trying to place an iv when I was in labor with my first child.

My heart aches for everyone involved in these deaths

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."-Nietzsche
Old Today, 10:59 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 15,800 Times in 9,601 Posts

Since doctors won't participate in executions because of the Hippocratic oath (do no harm, and killing someone is certainly harmful), IV's and cut downs have to be initiated by less qualified prison staff.

That will always beg the question, botched or not, of could the process have been less cruel (but not unusual in the US) if a more qualified person was wielding the scalpel. You don't need a doctor to start an IV, but when problems arise, it may take one to get the procedure right.

The April 2017 issue of the PTO Quarterly is now available to download or print

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B72...sxS1ZTTW8/view
[/size]