Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > VERMONT Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

VERMONT Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Vermont - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, Prison Visitation, mail, etc.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:12 AM

Default They said the birthday card I sent him had drugs in it, but it didn't/Help!

Hello I don't know if this is the right place to put this but my son called yesterday and said he is getting a major dr because the birthday card i sent him had drugs in it. This is completely false, I don't do drugs never have never will. but if they charge him I won't be able to visit him ever again or talk to him on the phone. I have emailed our commisioner with no response yet, I have talked to his probation officer, no response, I have called the superintendent at the jail with no response. can anyone help me

Thanks
Vicki
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBORLAND View Post
Hello I don't know if this is the right place to put this but my son called yesterday and said he is getting a major dr because the birthday card i sent him had drugs in it. This is completely false, I don't do drugs never have never will. but if they charge him I won't be able to visit him ever again or talk to him on the phone. I have emailed our commisioner with no response yet, I have talked to his probation officer, no response, I have called the superintendent at the jail with no response. can anyone help me

Thanks
Vicki
Oh my gosh!! I'm sorry I have no advice for you...but know that you are in my thoughts!! Let us know how it turns out. It makes you almost scared to even send anything in the mail!!!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:05 PM

Thanks I just cant believe they are getting away with this
The Following User Says Thank You to VBORLAND For This Useful Post:
MonalovesMiguel (04-22-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 01:14 PM

Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,947 Times in 3,183 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this! Since your question is state specific, I've moved your thread so the people most familiar with the VT system can help. I wish you the best of luck!

[/color][/size][/center]

Old 04-01-2013, 06:36 PM

you also get charged with this,same as with bringing them into the prison during visits. it could also be a federal charge to from the conveyance being the U.S.mail. did someone give you that card to send to him? i think you should get a lawyer ASAP. like yesterday!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:57 AM

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Superstar of the Year 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,917 Times in 1,591 Posts

As Deirdre said, if they found drugs it will initiate an investigation which could & is likely to include charges. I would recommend that you NOT speak with DOC, and instead seek an attorney for advice and representation--quickly! Do not speak about this any further with your son, as all calls are recorded and they can copy any letter you send. Have they advised you that you cannot visit, call or write? Did you purchase this card directly before sending it to him, or was it given to you by someone?

Please speak with an attorney. Do not discuss this with anyone else. Take care.

So...What's your point?

The Following User Says Thank You to InsomniaCT For This Useful Post:
MonalovesMiguel (04-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 08:40 PM

My fiance is incarcerated at Northwest Correctional Facility and the Vermont DOC is extremely absurd. They wouldn't let us speak because his probation officer wanted to "help protect the community" they don't want to help inmates live a normal life or have any kind of happiness. They took the stamps I sent him away, and a letter written on construction paper. Apparently provocative pictures aren't allowed either... oops. They also refuse to get us get married and it's breaking my heart.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsomniaCT View Post
As Deirdre said, if they found drugs it will initiate an investigation which could & is likely to include charges. I would recommend that you NOT speak with DOC, and instead seek an attorney for advice and representation--quickly! Do not speak about this any further with your son, as all calls are recorded and they can copy any letter you send. Have they advised you that you cannot visit, call or write? Did you purchase this card directly before sending it to him, or was it given to you by someone?

Please speak with an attorney. Do not discuss this with anyone else. Take care.
That is what is so interesting this happened over 2 mths ago and nothing has happened with it. I am allowed to visit my son, like nothing ever happened, except he spent 7 days in the hole for this.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abts View Post
My fiance is incarcerated at Northwest Correctional Facility and the Vermont DOC is extremely absurd. They wouldn't let us speak because his probation officer wanted to "help protect the community" they don't want to help inmates live a normal life or have any kind of happiness. They took the stamps I sent him away, and a letter written on construction paper. Apparently provocative pictures aren't allowed either... oops. They also refuse to get us get married and it's breaking my heart.
I can tell you that DOC policies do not allow the inmate to receive stamps, stamped envelopes, blank envelopes, or blank paper in the mail.

Additionally, any mail with the following will be rejected:
Writing or drawing using markers, color pencils, or crayons will be rejected. Mail with glue and glitter will also be rejected.
Any type of stain.
Too much perfume.

All of the above will result in rejection because letters have been sent in with drugs diluted and infused in the above.

The safest way to send mail into the facility to loved ones to prevent rejection is to type it. This seems insincere but it also eliminates the items listed above.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to freelow For This Useful Post:
babygirl350 (08-22-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,073 Times in 565 Posts

Just wanted to offer my support. I am sure it must still be under investigation. I cannot even imagine. I have noticed these mailrooms are getting alot tighter with the mail. Altho not in your state, they have just started within the last 6 months taking the stamps off of our envelopes, looking for drugs. Never used to and there never used to be a problem in spraying it with perfume and now there is. Oh well keep your head up and take good care of yourself. Let us hear from you the status.
May she rest in peace.

~ PTO Administrators and Staff

Old 08-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelow View Post
I can tell you that DOC policies do not allow the inmate to receive stamps, stamped envelopes, blank envelopes, or blank paper in the mail.

Writing or drawing using markers, color pencils, or crayons will be rejected. Mail with glue and glitter will also be rejected.
Any type of stain.
Too much perfume.

All of the above will result in rejection because letters have been sent in with drugs diluted and infused in the above.

The safest way to send mail into the facility to loved ones to prevent rejection is to type it. This seems insincere but it also eliminates the items listed above.
Thank you for the info. There is nothing worse then getting your mail returned.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelow View Post

Any type of stain.
Too much perfume.

Good luck.
Hello thanks for the info Is your fiancia still at newport?
Old 09-06-2014, 08:22 AM

I do not / did not have a fiance at Northern State.