Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > RHODE ISLAND Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

RHODE ISLAND Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Rhode Island - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, visitation, mail, parole, probation, etc.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:28 PM

Default Brother arrested, taken to intake & put in solitary in RI. What shoud I do?

Just came across this forum by chance while searching the web for help re: my brother's arrest. Any help would be greatly appreciated. He was arrested4 days ago. He was in a hotel & received a package mailed to him from cross country with a large amount of drugs in it & just as he accepted the package, state police came in & arrested him. I guess he was taken to intake at the aci & put into solitary & that is all I know. It seems that no one can help me at all. Theres no bail & because he's in solitary, no calls, visits etc.......What can/should I do???? I'm lost.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2015, 08:31 AM

This is a scary time for you and your brother. I am not sure what kind of help you are asking for? If your brother cannot afford an attorney he will get a court appointed one and maybe the lawyer can answer some of your questions. Your brother's hearings, if he is not a juvenile, are open to the public so you can attend and get an idea of what is going on.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:20 PM
attorney

Thanked 17,567 Times in 6,461 Posts

He needs to deal with his attorney. Most courts these days are accessible online, so you should be able to keep track of dates and what's been going on that way.

Keep checking with the jail re where he is - and get the regs on visitation. Check into putting money on his books and helping him get items he may need, if you can. You can also write.

Oh, if the case is federal, it'll be on the PACER system.

Beyond that? There's not much to do but watch and wait. Nothing happens quickly. It's scary, and you want things settled, but nothing will happen quickly.

He will be taken to court for a bail hearing, but bail will not be granted if he's a flight risk (he doesn't have a regular source of income, he's not a resident of that county, he has no real connections with that county outside of the crime, etc). Though, you can keep your eye on that as well.