Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KANSAS > Kansas DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kansas DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Kansas Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:35 PM

Unhappy Some questions from a very concerned sister..

Hey everyone. My brother (who is 18 years old) is about to be sent to prison. We're not sure where he will be sent because he hasn't done his evaluation yet. But I do have some questions regarding where he will be sent and how he can get good time earned.

My brother has been sentenced for 9 years with 15% of good time. However, he has done one year so technically, he's going to be doing 8 years. His lawyer told us that he can get out of prison with good time in 6 years and 10 months.

My question is how can he earn more good time towards his sentencing? He did tell me that if he finishes his GED in prison, they take off 2 months. But is there ways he can take time off his years?

My other question is how my brother can be sent to a low level custody prison. My brother was charged with attempted murder but he didn't pull the trigger...he was just there and they charged him for it. He has no criminal history and he has never been in a gang. He's a good kid..he just got caught up in some horrible mess that lead to this. He's worried that he will be sent to a medium or even high level custody and I feel like he doesn't deserve to be sent there. He said something about however many points add up that it will determine where he will go.

Does anyone have any advice on what he can do on his evaluation to where he can be sent a lower level custody prison because his lawyer is telling us it can happen. But then again, this guy promised us a lot of things and never came through.

Thank you so much!
The Following User Says Thank You to liefje23 For This Useful Post:
fergie95 (02-05-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2016, 07:43 AM

I'm not sure how any of it works really. I just wanted to say that my fiancé is at Ellsworth (a high-medium camp). It doesn't seem all that bad. His points fell off in January but he's in a class so he will probably move when the class is over. Good luck in your search for answers!