Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events What is making news in Michigan relating to the prison system, the criminal justice system, etc? Find it here!

Old 09-10-2016, 07:20 PM

Default Strikes or riots in Michigan prisons?

Does anyone know what happened today in the U.P.? I am here to visit my LO in the Chippewa facility and was told that visiting was closed early with no reason given to me at the "information" desk. I was told to "check tomorrow" to see if visiting would be open. My LO called to ask where I was and when I told him I was turned away he said he knew visits were closed in Chippewa earlier in the day for people coming in but he was told the room was open at 5 p.m. for people to come in. (I was sent away at 6:45 p.m. along with about 4-6 other people.) He then said that some staff had to leave Chippewa to go to a facility "very close by" to handle a "problem." He didn't have any more details. My LO said Chippewa is not on a full lockdown because he was able to call me and the only thing they could not do was go into the yard all day. And he said that people that were in the visiting room when it was closed were able to continue their visit and that no one had to leave until they were ready. I'm just wondering what the confusion is because I've never been involved with something like this before and no one in Chippewa is giving any information. I called at 8 pm to ask for a Shift Commander about visiting and was told again, rudely, no one would be available until tomorrow.

*I saw the other posts about possible U.S. prison strikes starting on 9/9. I asked my LO if he knew about any strikes at Chippewa and he said nothing is happening here right now. And nothing planned that he knew of.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2016, 08:34 PM

Default Kinross corrections riot!!!!!

My husband told me it's all over the news. Said buildings were on fire and 200-400 inmates were protesting today. Anyone here anything else???

Old 09-11-2016, 02:47 AM

Update- I found this article from online, TV 6 news at 11:40 pm, 9/10/16;

Hundreds of inmates hold protest at KCF
According to Chris Gautz, the Michigan Department of Corrections Public Information Officer, between 200 and 400 inmates were peacefully assembling and marching around in a circle during their normal yard time.
MDOC officials say the protest was part of a small group of protests in several states throughout the weekend, coinciding with the 45th anniversary of the Attica Correctional Facility riots in update New York. Kinross was the only facility in Michigan that had any form of protests over the weekend.

http://upnorthlive.com/news/local/hu...ional-facility

I hope all this means that visiting will re- open as usual at Chippewa today *sigh*
And I hope everyone else's family and loved ones at KCF are ok!

Edited by Admin to conform with PT"s Copyright Rules

Last edited by patchouli; 09-11-2016 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: Copyright Rules
Old 09-11-2016, 11:16 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,103 Times in 12,702 Posts

Here is another, updated article:

Inmates in Upper Peninsula set fire, damage housing units

Kinross Correctional Facility is calmer this morning after violent protests on Saturday; nobody injured, official says.

LANSING -- Inmates at Kinross Correctional Facility in the Upper Peninsula turned violent Saturday and trashed their housing units, starting a small fire, smashing sinks, and breaking at least one window, an official confirmed.
The prison near Kincheloe was calmer this morning after about 150 of the roughly 1,200 inmates -- those seen as instigators of the disturbances -- were removed and bused away to other prisons, Corrections Department spokesman Chris Guatz said.
No prison staff or inmates were injured.

Read the entire article HERE.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:06 PM

Now my husband said that two other prisons were having some type or riots or something like that. Has anyone else heard. Bellemy creek?