Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARKANSAS > Arkansas Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arkansas Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Arkansas Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:17 PM

Default He's finally in Benton. Would love to visit, but I have fear of driving.

My fiance has been moved to Benton work release. I wish I could see him so bad but I have a major fear of driving to new places. He gets upset with me but I seriously get sick when I even think about driving there. I need help.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2016, 01:21 AM
Je ne regrette rien
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,502 Times in 754 Posts

Sorry to hear about your phobia of driving. In the long run perhaps you could consider therapy for it (if you wish) - as for now, if you need to find an imminent solution in order to visit your fiance, and if there is no public transportation that you can utilize - is sharing a ride with someone you would consider?
Old 10-06-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarianna View Post
Sorry to hear about your phobia of driving. In the long run perhaps you could consider therapy for it (if you wish) - as for now, if you need to find an imminent solution in order to visit your fiance, and if there is no public transportation that you can utilize - is sharing a ride with someone you would consider?

Thank you. I can do it once I've rode with someone a few times. I just can't do it alone the first-time. I know it sounds stupid but I have panic attacks. Yes I would ride with someone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lam16 For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (10-07-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,281 Times in 2,863 Posts

See if there are any transportation services to his facilty.Or post for a car pool and travel with others and share gas and expenses.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (10-07-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 11:24 AM

There isn't any transportation services in Newport.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,176 Times in 9,916 Posts

How about learning to control your panic attacks? A therapist can help you uncover your triggers and give you options on how to handle them. The first one, incidentally, is usually to have a little brown paper bag with you and breathe into it when one starts coming on. Another is to learn to visualize safe spaces thoroughly.

This probably seeps into other facets of your life, so it might be good to get a grip on it now!

Last edited by nimuay; 10-06-2016 at 03:30 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nimuay For This Useful Post:
AndyS (10-06-2016), Sarianna (10-07-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 01:49 PM

Thanked 1,496 Times in 569 Posts

I used to hate driving to new places all the time as well. I'd break out in a sweat and obsessed about it constantly before I went. Then I got a job where I had to drive 1 1/2 hours each way. I broke the trip down in six segments and just concentrated on one segment at a time. It also helped to have my gps on the whole time so I knew i wouldn't miss a turn. I didn't have a choice, I had to do it. I don't know how far it is but maybe driving a little and stopping for lunch and driving a little more and stopping until you get there. You said you can do it after the first time so break down the first trip in reasonable amounts. If your phone can connect to Bluetooth it might help to talk to a friend while driving too. Good luck. I know you can do it! Think how proud he will be when he sees you in the visiting room. It will mean more to him than you know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
nimuay (10-06-2016), Sarianna (10-07-2016)