Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > IDAHO Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

IDAHO Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Idaho - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, etc.

View Poll Results: Would you sign a petition trying to gain video visits for visitors?
Yes 108 87.80%
No 4 3.25%
Maybe 11 8.94%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2016, 12:10 AM

Question Would people sign a petition to try & get video visits in the main prisons?

It's quite cruel to keep prisoners (especially ones serving year-long sentences) from seeing their loved ones sometimes throughout the entire span of their incarceration. Phone calls are so expensive and will only be going down 3 cents a minute within the next few months. Though I am grateful for this especially having spent thousands of dollars to simply talk with my fiancé throughout this last year, we deserve to see one another to say the least.

Humans require caring, considerate contact with their family/support to be able to properly utilize their experience while serving time for their actions. I believe that it is cruel, unlawful punishment to hold back the right of visitation with any loved ones because of their criminal record. Understandably, a prison has rules to abide by but if they already have kiosks at the IDOC facilities such as ISCI and SICI as well as use company's that can assist with making video visitations possible then why can't they use a little bit of the huge amounts of money they revenue to make seeing the only people that support these men and women possible?

Every human being deserves to visit with the people that they love and that love them; it is a critical part of having positive mental and emotional health. The only thing that I can think of to begin to make anything like this idea a possibility at these local facilities is to create a petition for anybody that agrees it needs to be tended to to sign. There would be no threat and therefore no reason to deny visitors with misdemeanor and or felony charges because they would never come anywhere close to the facility.

Though surrounding cities and towns' jails prove that having video visits with loved ones doesn't cause any sort of cautionary effect so in all reality, the reason to deny these previously charged potential-visitors depletes when there is access to video visitations. Thank you for taking the time to read this I am going to continue to think about creating this petition whilst doing as much research on the legality of these types of situations.

My fiancé is regularly depressed because we consistently struggle for money having to pay for so much while he can't even work for more than less than a dollar an hour and that's if anybody ever hires him out of all of the inmates that apply. He and I use to be so much happier and healthier when we were able to visit for free twice a week and now he has to stress about our wealth situation; feeling guilty because now he can't work for anything. We deserve to see each other, this is so far from right; it brings us both to tears still and was once the one thing we had to look forward to together.. Now we are confused because we both know for a fact that we should at the very least be able to see one another once within what could be 6 years or so of him being imprisoned.

If you would be willing to sign a petition trying to persuade IDOC that it is import enough to set up video visitations at every facility then please comment below and tell me that you would so I can get an idea of how many people would be a part of this. Thank you again.
The Following User Says Thank You to dally123 For This Useful Post:
nytrauma911 (06-12-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2016, 01:33 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,532 Times in 778 Posts

You have to understand, that even if you got it to where they would allow video visitation at the facility, you would probably have to pay for that as well. When my husband was in county video visits were the only way to see them, and I believe it was $9 for 30 minutes. Doesn't sound like much but it adds up quickly and many places cost much more. They have to provide extra officers to watch these videos as well as all of the equipment and maintenance. And with video visit they may still have an application and approval process (probably will as they generally do not want inmates corresponding with felons on the outside) and felons would not be able to visit anyhow. I'm not in Idaho and therefore not submitting an answer in the poll but just some words for thought.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:38 PM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,623 Times in 1,373 Posts

Maricopa county was 8.00 or a 20 minute visit.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinir.Fridyrr View Post
You have to understand, that even if you got it to where they would allow video visitation at the facility, you would probably have to pay for that as well. When my husband was in county video visits were the only way to see them, and I believe it was $9 for 30 minutes. Doesn't sound like much but it adds up quickly and many places cost much more. They have to provide extra officers to watch these videos as well as all of the equipment and maintenance. And with video visit they may still have an application and approval process (probably will as they generally do not want inmates corresponding with felons on the outside) and felons would not be able to visit anyhow. I'm not in Idaho and therefore not submitting an answer in the poll but just some words for thought.

Reguardless of how much it costs. People send so much talking on phones and to their books. A video visit would be great for those who are locked up over 4 hours away like mine. those with young children i would pay $1a minute just so he could see his son. It all depeds on how you look at it.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:13 PM

i know a ton of people here in just my town alone that would. i live in a town with a womens prison and almost all the women there want that. I have a husband incarcerated and would love that to become a thing at all prisons
Old 06-04-2016, 12:17 PM

I would sign the petition, as long as the intention to implement video visits wan't to replace face to fece/contact visits. As in if it was a supplementary service, not a replacement.

Edit: realised this is Idaho, but still, same principal
Old 08-07-2016, 07:49 AM
Rebel Rebel ....
Donation Award 

If you think about how much, it costs to visit in person - getting there, food while there etc - it actually sounds quite cheap
Old 08-07-2016, 09:20 AM

Thanked 1,103 Times in 525 Posts

I would sign it as long ad it was not expected for the video visitation to take the place of contact and face to face visitations. My situation is that i am on the other side of the country and can't afford to go see my man. Having video visitations would give us an opportunity to have something more with our interactions since we are limited to phone calls, emails, and letters. It would also give him the opportunity to see his family more than once a year since they live 2 states away and can't see him all the time. I would love to see video visitations in his facility as long as it does not replace his other visits.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Struck For This Useful Post:
Raf's Girl (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 09:11 AM

That's a very real problem you point out.

It's almost standard procedure for a vendor to say "We'll only install video conferencing if you give us an exclusive. Shut down in person visits.".
Old 11-15-2016, 09:33 AM

The above made me vote NO even if it would be great to see him every time he calls.The idea it will rob other inmates of their contact visits made me vote NO.