Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MARYLAND > Maryland General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Maryland General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Maryland that do not fit into any other Maryland sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-07-2004, 09:07 PM

Default Info on Maryland prisoners for Research?

I'm doing a research paper on prison rehabilatation programs in Maryland. Has anyone seen any statistics online on the education levels, drug use, poverty levels, and employment rate on Maryland prisoners when they first enter prison??
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Account closed

Check the Maryland DOC website.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:33 PM

Hotmama,

I had checked DOC website, thought I had seen it on there before, but now I can only find race and age. Nothing about education levels or employment status at time of arrest. If you know the link please post it. Thanks so much for replying.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:18 PM

Check the Maryland Parole Commission website. They have some of publications /reports available online that might help.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:45 PM
fight til the end..

That sounds kinda like what I had to write... Check the Bureau of Statistics.. or the Department of Justice...
Then you can search by subject.. I even found some information on the 2000 census webpage...

Alli
Old 07-11-2004, 07:29 PM
Account closed

try http://www1.dpscs.state.md.us/doc/pd...eport_2001.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby
Hotmama,

I had checked DOC website, thought I had seen it on there before, but now I can only find race and age. Nothing about education levels or employment status at time of arrest. If you know the link please post it. Thanks so much for replying.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:24 PM

Ladies thank you for the ideas and the link. I think this will help me a whole lot. One thing I did find out is it costs about 24 thousand a year to house an inmate, and about 5 thousand a year to put them in drug rehab. With about 72% of Maryland's prisoners being on lock for drug offenses, doesn't it make more sense to build more rehabs? My ex is a crack addict and when I was trying to get him into a state funded rehab there was a 6 month waiting list for inpatient treatment. So he continued breaking the law to support his habit, and he got 8 years, that is almost $200,000 to warehouse him. He is getting zero treatment, so the cycle will just continue. Really sad....he could of been something.

Last edited by Shelby; 03-05-2006 at 02:33 PM..
Old 07-12-2004, 06:20 PM

Wow! What an alarming statistic. More rehab facilities would make much more sense.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:45 AM

That is how its been, and I don't see it being changed anytime soon.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:31 PM

Governor Ehrlich’s Drug Treatment Initiative

Highlights of Proposed Legislation

FY 2005 Budget Initiative
Substance Abuse for the Offender Population

DEPARTMENT OF JUVENILE SERVICES
·$588,000 Drug Courts
Funds would be used to enhance the state-wide drug court initiative by creating 6 new positions and providing additional funding to counties whose federal funding is expected to run out in FY 2005. Among jurisdictions that could potentially receive additional funding are: Baltimore County, Harford County, Prince George’s County, Montgomery County and Baltimore City.
·$175,000 Substance Abuse Unit
Funds would be used to create 5 licensed drug addiction counselor positions at various detention facilities across the State.
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY AND CORRECTIONAL SERVICES

·$1,500,000 Additional therapeutic communities within institutions
This is a 6-month program during which inmates stay together as a group and receive formal counseling (12 hours per week) as well as take part in peer group meetings once a week to discuss their problems and how to avoid them in the future. Near the of the 6 month period case managers from community treatment programs are brought in to link inmates with community resources. The department is currently operating one such program at the Central Laundry with federal funds. Funding is available for this program from federal dollars through FY 05. The FY 2005 budget will provide funding to establish two new programs in FY 2005 - one at MCTC for a full year and a second at ECI for the second half the year. Funding at this level would serve an additional 345 inmates in FY 2005.

·$300,000 Assessment and evaluation of inmates
Funds would be used to provide for intensive front-end assessments of inmates entering the correctional system.

·$100,000 Methadone Detoxification
Funds would be used to pilot procedures for facilitating withdrawal from opiates using methadone or another acceptable pharmaceutical as mandated by Maryland law.

DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND MENTAL HYGIENE

·$3,982,560 Residential treatment in lieu of incarceration
Funds would be used to provide residential alcohol and drug abuse treatment services to individuals in the juvenile and criminal justice systems as an alternative to incarceration. The adult component builds on the existing statewide infrastructure to provide long term residential treatment to another 98 individuals, including those with co-occurring substance abuse and psychiatric disorders. The adolescent component includes an innovative crisis stabilization program, designed to handle relapse situations for adolescents involved in outpatient care, as well as a halfway house for Suburban Maryland. It is estimated that 310 adolescents would be served with this additional funding.
·$1,842,440 Non-offender population request
Funds would be used to partially restore some of the FY 04 cost containment and to support the juvenile and criminal justice systems in the respective jurisdictions.

TOTAL FUNDING FOR INITIATIVE: $8.488 MILLION
Old 11-18-2016, 09:37 AM
Life Lovin Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,160 Times in 1,336 Posts

Media/Journalist/Researchers – Requirements for PTO Membership/Acceptable Conduct
PTO welcomes journalists and/or members of the media to learn and educate themselves about prisons, prisoners, and their loved ones, as well as students and researchers doing research on these subjects.
We do, occasionally, allow media/researchers to request information and personal stories from our members.
Any information obtained from this site must be credited to Prisontalk.com and its members.
Members of the media must obtain permission from PTO Administration before posting requests for information and/or contact details.
Media/Researchers who send unsolicited messages or post requests for information without express permission may be removed from this community.

Moderator: New Jersey, Juvenile, Prison Activism, Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, Arkansas, Maryland, Husbands & Boyfriends In Prison