Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NORTH CAROLINA > North Carolina General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

North Carolina General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in North Carolina that do not fit into any other North Carolina sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:39 AM
Paul's Wife

Default Post release supervision for sex offenders

Anyone know what to expect for post release supervision for sex offenders in NC? My husband will be released in 11 months. Will he be able to find a job? What will his curfew be? How long is satellite monitoring required?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2017, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 4,558 Times in 2,407 Posts

I can't answer your questions specifically but below is the link to the NC post release supervision statutes. Perhaps you can find some answers there.

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislat...rticle_84A.pdf
Old 01-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Paul's Wife

Default Great information

Thank you! That was very helpful.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:54 AM

My son was on supervision in Ga. He got a monthly visit from the local sheriff's office person who supervised sex offenders as well as his probation officer. I don't know if your husband is on probation or not. They will tell him his rules & be sure to follow them to the letter. If there's any doubt, call & ask before doing something or going anywhere you're unsure of. My son got probation violation because he did something that he thought was allowed but wasn't. It wasn't illegal but violated 1 of the conditions he was given. Of course 1 of his conditions was that he couldn't leave the county without permission yet if you drove out of his neighborhood to the main road & went across the street, you were in another county. He'd have to call anytime he left his house (technically). His PO finally said only call if you're going far.

Getting a job was a real struggle. How long ago was his conviction? Some employers only go back 7 years on background checks. What type of skills does your husband have? My son found the re-entry people at the state labor office were worthless. I do know that Goodwill Industries has a career center & they do help people with job assistance but I was told they don't help people with sex crime convictions. Maybe you will find it different where you are. Looking ion craigslist can be a source to find some jobs that don't always check backgrounds. Once you get a job & can prove you're a good worker with no drama, it might be easier to find something else.

Good luck!!
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-12-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 03:00 PM

Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,284 Posts

Actually, my son got help from Goodwill Industries. Also, he qualified for DORS (department of rehab services). This was in MD.