Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Georgia prison and criminal justice system.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:24 AM

Thanked 1,122 Times in 461 Posts
Default GA Family Meeting Day Jan 13- please attend

If you have a loved one in the system & have concerns or questions, this is the time to voice them. Let officials know the issues our loved ones are facing. If we want changes then we have to make it happen. If no one goes then the DOC can safely say that things arefine the way they are. Our loved ones need us to speak for them to make a difference.

NOTICE
- FAMILY MEETING

The Department of Corrections will have a meeting on January 13, 2017 for family members and significant others of inmates incarcerated in the Georgia prison system
The purpose of this meeting is for family members to meet with Departmental representatives and discuss issues concerning the incarceration of their relative(s). Inmates are responsible for notifying anyone on their APPROVED VISITATION LIST who may want to attend this meeting.

WHERE:
Clayton State University
Harry S. Downs Center
2000 Clayton State Blvd.
Morrow, GA 30260

WHEN:
January 13, 2017
9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Note: Orientation meeting 9:00 –9:30a.m.

WHO MAY ATTEND:
INMATE FAMILY MEMBERS OR SIGNIFICANT OTHERS ON THE APPROVED VISITATION LIST

PURPOSE:
To provide an opportunity for inmate family members or significant other to discuss incarceration issues with Corrections representatives.

SPECIAL NOTE:
PAROLE ISSUES WILL NOT BE ADDRESSED AT THIS MEETING
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-06-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2017, 11:36 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,806 Times in 13,435 Posts

Wow. Not open to the "public" at large, only those on someone's visitation list. I find that odd I do hope it is well attended though. Are you going? If so, please share what you can after the meeting
Old 01-07-2017, 11:05 AM

Default I'm going

I plan to go, although I have a lot of questions and reservations. Not addressing parole issues is a mistake. That's every family member and inmate's number one concern. Also is it a forum for personal experiences, or general thoughts about the system. No one wants to get their loved one on anyone's list because of something they brought up. I'll let ya'll know so we can all go to the next one if it's worthwhile.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to georgiagrama For This Useful Post:
GaReform (01-08-2017), patchouli (01-07-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiagrama View Post
I plan to go, although I have a lot of questions and reservations. Not addressing parole issues is a mistake. That's every family member and inmate's number one concern. Also is it a forum for personal experiences, or general thoughts about the system. No one wants to get their loved one on anyone's list because of something they brought up. I'll let ya'll know so we can all go to the next one if it's worthwhile.
I am so happy someone is going. I would go but am 8 hours away & can't make this one. I wish someone would ask why there isn't a place to get status update of decisions on transfer requests & other issues. My son put in a transfer request to go to a transitional center 6 weeks ago. He has asked & I have called his caseworker only to be told that she has no idea where it is in the system or when a decision will be made. Since there is a timeline that can expire, it would be helpful to know if it's stuck somewhere, denied or approved. She also said it can take up to 6-8 months to get a decision but if you have less than 8 months left to serve, you're ineligible to go. Frustrating!! I'll look forward to what you hear especially if there is any positve news.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:03 PM

I wish I could go, but I'm in a no leave period and there is no way without a subpoena there is no way for me to get off.
I wish they could do things like this with an online option for those that are far away and have to work.
If anyone goes, please pass on any interesting information.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:57 PM

Thanked 2,384 Times in 835 Posts

It's too bad the Family Mtg isn't held in more than one location. How 'bout North of Atlanta????
Old 01-11-2017, 10:19 PM

I don't know why these aren't better publicized. I do see that they have held these events in other locations in the past. I don't know where others will be held this year but maybe by calling the DOC you can find out. If I stumble across any future events, I'll post an update.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (01-15-2017), patchouli (01-12-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 03:31 PM

Thanked 2,384 Times in 835 Posts

In all honesty I would mostly likely not attend!
Sadly I don't see DOC implementing anything unless it benefits them.
This has been a long haul for our family and a real eye opener!
I will admit I have a very bad attitude. (SMILE)
Old 01-17-2017, 05:26 PM

Default Family Day

I went to the last one (Sept. in Vidalia). It was my first and last. It was sooooo unorganized. The parole group consisted of 3 people answering questions for HUNDREDS of families. We only got to talk for 3 minutes. I got nothing but a lecture on how the guy I spoke to hoped that my LO would make better choices in the future.

They did say that there are Family Days held every quarter and each one is held in one of the zones. So if this meeting isn't close to you, maybe the next one will.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoJo1995 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordbew/us View Post
In all honesty I would mostly likely not attend!
Sadly I don't see DOC implementing anything unless it benefits them.
This has been a long haul for our family and a real eye opener!
I will admit I have a very bad attitude. (SMILE)
I'm with you on this. Never thought I'd be here. I've become very disillusioned with justice. Thankful we are near the end of the road now with only 98 days until max out date.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoJo1995 For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (01-17-2017)