Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Oregon Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:39 PM

Question Putting Money on Inmate Trust Accounts from Washington State?

I have been trying the past couple days to put money on two of my friends trusts accounts through GettingOut.com. They are both at Deer Ridge in Madras. I live in Washington and am their only support from the outside. I manage both of their bank accounts and are both of their power of attorneys. Every time I tried to add money the last couple days it kept telling me something was incorrect or missing, but it wasn't. My friend was saying that Telmate was having some issues lately so I thought it was just glitching, so I called customer service. They told me that a state law was passed where credit and debit cards that are registered in WA State are no longer allowed to make trust deposits??? I have never had an issue before this.

That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard. I know I can deposit through JPay and Access Corrections but I use an American Express and neither one of those sites take AmEx. Anyone else dealing with this??

Old 02-04-2017, 06:10 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,030 Times in 2,137 Posts

I haven't heard anything about it until just now. That's odd that they would not allow cards issued in Washinton (did they say ALL non-Oregon issued cards? Or only WA issued cards?). It's especially odd given how many families are split between the two states. My MIL is in WA, I am in OR - lots of us like this. So having someone from WA deposit into an Oregon account would be pretty normal, I would think.

That said, depending on what part of WA you live in, you may be able to send it all by snail mail if you plan ahead and can get deposits on a schedule - don't know how feasible the scheduling thing is for you.

That said, good for you for taking care of your "guys". They're stuck dealing with their end of the bureaucracy and we 'outmates' are stuck dealing with ours.

Please do update this if you figure out what was going on.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:43 PM

They said that a few states passed the law, so I think it is just WA and a few more. I ended up changing the address for the debit cards to the address of the prison in Madras and it worked for one of my friends.. but it still isn't working for the other. It is so weird. Even though the only card I have on my account now is registered to Oregon, it isn't even giving me the option to do a trust/commissary deposit, only a friends and family and inmate deposit. I am going to call again on Monday to see what is going on for the other one.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:53 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I think that's the only way you're going to get answers.

It doesn't make any sense at all - after all, how many inmates in one state have loved ones in different states? Seems really weird to me. Please do keep us updated.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:45 PM

I went to try on the website one more time this morning and it worked. I think it must have been glitching and they finally got it fixed. I just changed the addresses on both cards to the address of the prison and it worked. Luckily I do all their banking online so it won't matter that the address has been changed.

I would be interested to read the actual law. I want to know what it says.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:46 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

If you find a link to the law, please share it. I'd be interested as well.

Be careful with changing the address to the prison address - many financial institutions won't allow an inmate to hold an account with them because they believe it would make them look bad. I wish I could say I'm joking, but have been through it too many times for that to be true.