Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Parole, Probation, Halfway Houses, Employment, etc.
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Parole, Probation, Halfway Houses, Employment, etc. All information & questions relating to parole, probation, community service, half-way houses, and ex-offender employment in Michigan should be posted here.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:32 AM

Default DUI Probation - Random Drug Testing (MI)

Hi, I'm new to probation for a DUI and must submit to holiday drug / alcohol testing (first conviction - no priors) only. In addition, I was told that I could be called for a random drug / alcohol test. However, my probation officer did not tell me how this works. Would he simply call me up at a random time and tell me to go test? How long do i have to take the test (my driver's license was suspended)? Most importantly, how likely is it that they will call me to take a random? Thanks for any information that you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2016, 10:31 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 15,627 Times in 9,494 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. To know what to expect during your DUI probation, ask your Probation Officer directly. There is information available from an internet search for "michigan drug testing for DUI probation", but be sure to talk to your PO.

Here's the link to the PTO Michigan prison forums.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149
Old 11-19-2016, 10:35 AM

Thank you!
Old 11-19-2016, 11:41 AM

Yes they will call you at random times even on the weekends. My husband had to do this several times. And they give you pretty much no notice. And about a half hour to get there. But this could be different in your county.

The Following User Says Thank You to nygirl17 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-20-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 08:49 PM
attorney

Thanked 17,565 Times in 6,460 Posts

Guaranteed, there will be random testing right after the holidays - right after Thanksgiving, Christmas, and especially New Years. You're also highly likley to be called in after St. Patty's day, and any other holiday where drinking or drug use is likely for somebody who hasn't removed themselves from a drug/alcohol community.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-20-2016)
Old 02-12-2017, 12:31 PM

Well it has been 3 months for probation and holiday testing. (I'm tested after every holiday - including the 'super bowl.') I've never been called for random testing, and my probation officer only answers in a vague way when I ask how I would be called for random testing. "How will I be called, will it be via phone, a letter...?" She answers "You will know when you are contacted." So, because they aren't telling me specifics, it seems to me that I won't be randomly tested, but they are just threatening me with random testing.

If anyone on a "holiday schedule" testing + probation has actually been contacted for random testing outside of the "holiday schedule" when you have to test, please let me know. Otherwise, I think the random testing is untrue.

Thanks for any wisdom that you can pass along.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:40 PM

Thanked 8,193 Times in 4,822 Posts

The whole point of 'random' is to try and prevent someone from thinking that they know the routine and going out to drink or engage in some other idiotic injurious behavior that shows up on a UA...
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
yourself (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 02:04 PM
attorney

Thanked 17,565 Times in 6,460 Posts

Don't be stupid about this. Don't try to scam the system. Don't try to assume you know what's going on and can predict testing. If you fail to heed my advice, you'll be seeing me for your revocation hearing.

And, you sound exactly like somebody who's going to get revoked, and who's going to get a second or third DUI without learning.

VenTex is absolutely right - they are not going to give you info on what random means so they can in fact keep it random. I would, however, expect a call around your birthday, and the birthdays of the people you live with, bf/gf birthdays, anniversaries, and other, more personal "holidays". After that, expect something random. But, as you've pestered your PO about the meaning of "random" expect to get something soon. It's a big red flag to a PO.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:34 PM

I understand your responses, and I think that you have my best interests in mind, but I'm looking for data about how often people are tested.

I think I'll develop an app for the app store for people on probation to indicate how often each person using the app are actually contacted for "random" tests so that we can get actual data. I'm sure some people are frequently tested, and it sounds like some are never tested using random tests. I'd like to understand the actual data.

I only have one data point, which is the amount that I've been called for random tests after three months on probation. Christmas, new years, my birthday, etc. have all passed and I haven't been called for random tests, contrary to what is written above about what is likely to happen after those days.

I'm clean and staying clean, but just curious to understand how much is a threat of testing vs. actual testing. I think this would be good for the probation community to know this data. I certainly would find it interesting.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:49 AM

My son's PO has shown up at his house and made him drop. No warning, nothing. He was clean. He wasn't on parole/probation for drinking or DUI, though. She's also called him and told him to come in on a non report day (like, HI....I need you to come in right now). He had to be there within 30 minutes (she knows his work and school schedule).
Old 02-13-2017, 05:36 AM

Thanks for the helpful information.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:51 AM

Thanked 8,193 Times in 4,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivee View Post

I think I'll develop an app for the app store for people on probation to indicate how often each person using the app are actually contacted for "random" tests so that we can get actual data. I'm sure some people are frequently tested, and it sounds like some are never tested using random tests. I'd like to understand the actual data.

[snip]

I think this would be good for the probation community to know this data. I certainly would find it interesting.
The person on supervision who gives a damn about their freedom and sobriety doesn't spend this much time worrying about when 'random' will occur or with what frequency.

What you want to do is develop an app that caters to those looking to scam the system.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
yourself (02-13-2017)