Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:12 PM

Default Stolen Property While in Investigative Confinement

My son was placed in investigative confinement for a month. No charges against him, no nothing. I think they actually forgot about him because the investigative officer was out due to an auto accident the day after confinement. I called every day bugging them until I got some answers. His attorney even called for a attorney phone call. When my son was taken to confinement, he had to turn in his property. The guard did not let him stay for it to be inventoried. A few days into confinement, he received the list of items put into property. His sneakers, 3 Game of Throne books, MP player headphones, a sweatshirt and a pair of gym shorts were not on the list. He tried to ask about it and got nowhere. When he got out of confinement and finally got his property back, the items were not there. He questioned it and was told "not my problem". I have called the Warden's office and cannot get past secretary. She said it would be turned over to the Administrative Officer. Neither my son nor I have heard anything and I cannot get through to anyone. This is at Liberty. Any suggestions who to contact next? We are talking about $135 worth of clothing and books. We are not made of money. This is the second set of the same books stolen - the first time was when he transferred from Century to Liberty.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2015, 06:03 PM

omg I hope you find some answers!!! I truly hate Florida prison system :'(
Old 04-15-2015, 07:26 PM

You will need to email the warden and assistant warden. It is extremely important to have a paper trail. When you call, its too easy for them to brush you off.
Make sure you give details, focus less on emotion so you are taken seriously. Because he was not allowed to inventory his property in front of the officer it may be difficult to get his things back. Find out if policy was violated.

Also ask your son if anything had any identifying marks to prove its his, if found. Other inmates will take from others anything they can use or sale.
Hopefully by sending the emails, you at least have the matter looked into and have a written response.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:06 PM

WOW! That is crazy. You can have anything nowadays!
Old 04-25-2015, 12:34 PM

It happens more than we think. Im sick of paying over again. Last time, my son picked up his new stuff. Officer told him to lay it on the chair and come into his office. Went back out. It was all gone. I was enraged. He was given a "nice" shirt and pants, and "nice" used tennis shoes. Other times he has even put his name on the items and still does not get them back since the cant have every prisoner take off their things to prove it. 4 1/2 more years out of 20. Armed Robbery and had no gun, none seen, none on video only a teller said she saw one. He must have ate the dammed thing. He was offered 10 given 20 on a plea or go to trial, there he would have got 30 to life. We have to keep onto the prisons or they will just get worse. Did anyone ever wonder where all that confiscated stuff is? suppose to be in a room on a shelf. years and years of stuff???? such bs. ok done ranting almost
Old 12-31-2016, 04:13 PM

Anything not nailed down gets stolen in there!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:38 AM

You have my sympathies. Same thing happened to my nephew when he was placed in confinement for his protection. They actually broke or picked his lock and took most of his clothing (thank goodness he had his sneakers with him), some books, all his toiletries, and the radio and headphones we sent him). Most upset about the radio and headphones since we paid for those and know how expensive they are. And of course, the guards saw nothing, even though there was a camera nearby that probably caught the thief on video.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:20 PM

Has he filed a grievance from when he first got his property list? If it is under 30 days it may be on camera yet....I think I was told they recycle the film every 30 days. There is a grievance office to talk with (I'm dealing with something now). The grievance officer is under the wardens office not classification.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:00 PM

yes, filed a griev, told untimely too late. bs as usual.