Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Ohio Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:12 PM

Default How do I get newspaper subscription and books sent to my loved one?

My fiance was telling me about the guys where he's at are getting newspapers and magazines and books how do I go about doing that and like what sites do I go to? And when I do a subscription to the newspaper what do I have to do?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2017, 02:21 PM

I've only sent books and I usually use Barnes and noble, just use the normal mailing address for your fiancé and there is a box to check that says it can't be serviced by UPS make sure that is checked. I've also sent puzzle books, and origami through BN and haven't had a problem with it.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:45 PM

I've gotten several magazine subscriptions, you just order them and pay with their inmate number and mailing address. So if you want to order, say, National Geographic, go to their web site and order a subscription with your LO's mailing info and your billing info. I haven't tried a newspaper but I assume it's the same deal.

For books, I think most mail rooms are not taking Amazon any more, so Barnes & Noble is a good way to go. I've heard the issue with Amazon is that they're not including receipts any more so there's no proof the book comes directly from Amazon which is kind of ridiculous.
The Following User Says Thank You to CousinFlora For This Useful Post:
TrueLoveMyBub (02-19-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 11:03 PM

Thanked 1,255 Times in 519 Posts

My son is in a different state but I called the DOC for his state & asked their policy. I went to a site to order magazines & they have been coming. It took about 2 months to get it set up. The site was very good priced. 6 magazines for $20. Right now I see they have a special that's 7 magazines for $20. http://www.inmatemagazineservice.com/
I did order books through Amazon for him.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingmyguy402 View Post
I've only sent books and I usually use Barnes and noble, just use the normal mailing address for your fiancé and there is a box to check that says it can't be serviced by UPS make sure that is checked. I've also sent puzzle books, and origami through BN and haven't had a problem with it.

Are you just useing books direct from barnes and nobles or too by the whole book stores who offers used books? Will the used books come in too? I mean I already have sent my fiance a Amazon book the prison refused it BUT the used book from one of the used book sellers get to him. So do you have any advice please? i want to order him a book I already ordered him a used book but this place told me they DONT put papers in it, so they dont put a dilevery slip in. Should I send it to him like that too or not? Any advice
Old 02-19-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinFlora View Post
I've gotten several magazine subscriptions, you just order them and pay with their inmate number and mailing address. So if you want to order, say, National Geographic, go to their web site and order a subscription with your LO's mailing info and your billing info. I haven't tried a newspaper but I assume it's the same deal.

For books, I think most mail rooms are not taking Amazon any more, so Barnes & Noble is a good way to go. I've heard the issue with Amazon is that they're not including receipts any more so there's no proof the book comes directly from Amazon which is kind of ridiculous.

Do you think a boook from barnes and nobles used book places will be arrive him?
Old 03-06-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLoveMyBub View Post
Do you think a boook from barnes and nobles used book places will be arrive him?
I haven't tried sending used books, I've heard people have mixed success with that and lacking any info about what they will and won't take, I figure it's easiest just to do new books.

My friend has been able to get a lot of things through Interlibrary Loan through the prison library. Since his storage space is limited, he'll often try that first before asking someone on the outside to buy it for him.

Lastly, if cost is an issue or you're having trouble finding a book new, they could try Books to Prisoners or Prison Book Program.
The Following User Says Thank You to CousinFlora For This Useful Post:
TrueLoveMyBub (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 04:09 PM

[quote=CousinFlora;7606529]I haven't tried sending used books, I've heard people have mixed success with that and lacking any info about what they will and won't take, I figure it's easiest just to do new books.

My friend has been able to get a lot of things through Interlibrary Loan through the prison library. Since his storage space is limited, he'll often try that first before asking someone on the outside to buy it for him.

Thank you.. Yes he always check first on the libary. But in the last prison he was, they havent a libary anymore for the People who are lower then Level 5, that means just Level 5 and hole and restrictions guys got Access to the libary, the rest of them not. In that prison where he is now, he has the libary and we will for sure use it again. he always used that before because he dont like if I send him Things.