Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation & Release All information relating to parole, probation or release in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:09 PM

Unhappy Appealing Board of Parole decision! How long for an answer?

Hi my fiance is currently in sci mercer and he got his green sheet back it said DEC 13th of this yr but he had appealed his case before 30 days and he still hasnt heard nothing back from them idk if that's good or bad news but I wrote the board of parole a support letter for him and they wrote me back asap they said they would put my letter in his file can anyone give me any advice ?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik7959 View Post
Hi my fiance is currently in sci mercer and he got his green sheet back it said DEC 13th of this yr but he had appealed his case before 30 days and he still hasnt heard nothing back from them idk if that's good or bad news but I wrote the board of parole a support letter for him and they wrote me back asap they said they would put my letter in his file can anyone give me any advice ?
It is a little difficult to quite understand exactly what you are saying as there is no punctuation.

You said he got his green sheet back and it said Dec 13th. But what did that date mean? Did it say he would be released by Dec 13 or be reviewed again on Dec 13th.

You normally can't appeal a board decision unless your new review date is more than a year later. Example: if it says you will be reviewed in 18months. You have to wait 12 months before you can appeal to ask for an earlier board hearing.

As far as a support letter, yes, they will put it in his file but quite honestly not going to make much of a difference in their decision.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:43 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,108 Posts

Nik: An inmate can "appeal" his or her green sheet by first filing a request for administrative relief with the Board. This is a letter (not a formal pleading) which details why he or she believes the Board's decision was in error and includes the reasons in support of the claims. This must be postmarked within 30 days of the date the Board decision was made. Failure to do this will block an appeal in court. (In order to proceed in court, the individual must show he exhausted all available administrative remedies first.)

The Board will respond to the letter, but there is no real time limit. typically, the individual can approach the Commonwealth Court after 120 days from the date the letter was mailed (showing proof of mailing, of course,) and aver that the lack of a response is a tacit denial of relief. In all likelihood, the Board will quickly send that letter denying administrative relief.

As asked above, we don't know if you're referring to December 13 of 2016 or 2017. If he has been granted parole on or after December 2017 and he hopes to get that date moved up, I'd say he's unlikely to prevail. I would also wonder why that specific date was given.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:19 PM

Unhappy Appealing Board of Parole decision! How long for an answer?

Ok so my boyfriend got his green sheet in Dec and they maxed him they gave him til Dec 13th 2017 so he appealed it and hasn't heard anything back yet and I wrote a support letter and they wrote me back quick and said they was goin to put my letter in his file ... why is it taking so long for them to get back to him it's been almost 2mths and no word...I don't know if it's good or bad could I call anyone to find out anything???
Old 02-15-2017, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichole0424 View Post
Ok so my boyfriend got his green sheet in Dec and they maxed him they gave him til Dec 13th 2017 so he appealed it and hasn't heard anything back yet and I wrote a support letter and they wrote me back quick and said they was goin to put my letter in his file ... why is it taking so long for them to get back to him it's been almost 2mths and no word...I don't know if it's good or bad could I call anyone to find out anything???
You use the term BOP which stands for "Bureau of Prisons". Is your boyfriend in a federal prison in the state of Penn? Penn has Department of Corrections (DOC). If he is in a federal prison you are best off in the federal prison forum; this is strictly for Penn State Prisons. The rules etc can be very different in many areas.

If he is in a state prison there is unfortunately nothing you can do to speed up the process. Also, even if you call the inmate inquiry line the only thing they can tell you is if a decision has been made yet but won't tell you what it is if one has been made. Your boyfriend will find out from his counselor before you would be able to find out anything on your own. A green sheet can take up to 12 weeks to come back to the inmate. Best thing to do is be patient and "wait". The decision, by the way, is not made by the DOC it is made by the PBPP (Penn Board of Probation and Parole).

Also, the time it takes for a green sheet to come back has nothing to do with a decision. Some denials come back in 4 weeks and some come back in 7 weeks or vice versa. The time it takes for a green sheet has nothing to do with a possible decision.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:23 PM

Ok he is at sci Mercer and he already got his green sheet I'm not waiting on that I'm waiting for the board of parole decision on giving him less time he appealed his release date from his green sheet
Old 02-16-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichole0424 View Post
Ok he is at sci Mercer and he already got his green sheet I'm not waiting on that I'm waiting for the board of parole decision on giving him less time he appealed his release date from his green sheet
Not much you can do even in this case. All you can do is be patient and wait. Again, even calling the inmate inquiry line will only let you know if a decision has been made and they don't like to get phone calls from the same person every day asking if a decision has been made.

When I called them to find out if my LO had a decision made yet on his green sheet I started calling once a week and was told to call in a few more weeks. My LO found out before I had called again and he called me and told me he got paroled.